Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Later Round Picks

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Everyone is focused on the early picks and rightfully so. but how about the diamonds in the rough, the later round picks? come up with some gems that could stick or at least make the practice squad and I'll buy you a beer :heh:

here is one of mine, I think the Texans have two 7th round picks although my source is only showing one (#204, maybe the Chiefs #206) anyway's one of those how about this guy- Daniel Loper OT Texas Tech http://www.redraiders.com/stories/100904/foo_1009040012.shtml Loper (6-6, 313) ran his 40s in 5.27 and 5.26. He also ran the short shuttle in 4.84 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.80. He had a 8-foot-9½ broad jump and 19 bench presses. He also was hanging out at the Texans training facility last year sometime before the season, just a thought. anyone else care to chip in on a personel favorite or have some inside scoop on some other prospects the Texans may have on their wish list?

A couple of names to consider for late day 1 or day 2...

Jesse Lumsden RB McMaster (Canada)
Chad Owens SLOT WR/PR Hawaii
Rob Hunt OT North Dakota State
Michael Roos OT Eastern Washington
Tyler King OLB/DE UConn
Andrew Hoffman NT Virginia
Nick Speegle OLB New Mexico
Jordan Beck LB Cal Poly
Boomer Grigsby LB Illinois State
Roger Cooper LB Montana State
Aric Williams CB Oregon State

think I found another diamond in the rough, kid is from Oregon and has been very impressive in workouts, may lack the size the Texans covet but frankly I'd like to see them add some speed to the DT group, here is a short blurb from his Pro Day workout-

senior defensive end CHRIS SOLOMONA ran between 4.73 and 4.75 in the 40... 4.20 short shuttle... 7.17 three-cone... 32.5" vertical... 9'1" broad jump and also did 24 reps of 225 pounds... weighed in at 6044, 287 pounds... this was the second straight impressive Pro Day performance for this full-size DE, who can play in either a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme...

file CHRIS SOLOMONA for future ref-

I don't think he'll be drafted, but I hope they invite Will Mathews FB Texas, to camp. It's gonna be harder and harder for the low guys to make the team. Already posted my diddy about Jones. Hope Lord pays off this year.

DT Albert Means
DT Anthony Bryant

Both are huge NTs who can eat up blockers, but they need better conditioning.

TE Anthony Curtis Portland State - he's a great blocker, and hes got good speed and decent hands. He would definately be a project, but he could be a good value in the 6th or 7th.

Johnathan Goddard is a guy who could play OLB for us. I'm glad we had someone checking out the Marshall workout. He would be a great pick in the middle of the draft.

Linebacker Johnathan Goddard continued his stellar offseason, bench pressing 225 pounds 30 times before eight professional football scouts

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/2005/March/19/MUspot.htm

These were his stats for this past year:

78 Tackles, 16 Sacks, 28 Tackles for loss
1 Interception, 5 Passes defensed, 2 Touchdowns, 5 Forced Fumbles

texasguy346 said:
TE Anthony Curtis Portland State - he's a great blocker, and hes got good speed and decent hands. He would definately be a project, but he could be a good value in the 6th or 7th.

good one, forgot about him :thumbup

Jerome Collins TE Notre Dame
Anthony Curtis TE Portland St
Jelani Clement C Hampton
Matt Grootegood S USC
Michael Hawkins CB Oklahoma/Dallas Desperados (6"1', 175, 4.38)
Jordan Beck ILB Cal Poly (ran a 4.45)
Jonathan Welsh DE/OLB Wisconsin
Anthony Bryant NT Alabama

^^^These are all guys that I think with the right coaching can all be really solid players in the NFL...

wags said:
Johnathan Goddard is a guy who could play OLB for us. I'm glad we had someone checking out the Marshall workout. He would be a great pick in the middle of the draft.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/2005/March/19/MUspot.htm

These were his stats for this past year:

78 Tackles, 16 Sacks, 28 Tackles for loss
1 Interception, 5 Passes defensed, 2 Touchdowns, 5 Forced Fumbles

by middle round do you think he lasts until rd 4 when the Texans pick? never seen him play but those are some very productive numbers along with some good combine #s :thumbup

beerlover said:
by middle round do you think he lasts until rd 4 when the Texans pick? never seen him play but those are some very productive numbers along with some good combine #s :thumbup

I don't know if he will last that long. I think he has definitely improved his draft position. When I saw him play Georgia this year he was all over the field. That game at least, he was the best DE on the field.

As Vinny mention David McMillan at DE with really good speed for attacking the QB from OLB.
Rob Hunt Center at North Dakota State 6'4 3/4" 305 pounds runs a 4.93, maybe play OG too.

Lynn McGruder DT at OU, mostly played backup. Nice size and speed combo.

Nehemiah Broughton RB from The Citadel. Good speed in 40 for his size 5'11 1/2" 250 pounds. Power back to mix with DD

Scott Young OG BYU. He's the guy that lifted 43 times at the combine, but I like his speed and size (6'4" 312 5.08 forty) and the way he looked in drills. Only played OG one year, moved from DT.

Isaac West WR Furman 4.37 speed right at 6'.

Goddard is a great prospect. I've seen him play a few times on ESPN. I'm a sucker for the MAC games. Anyways when he played against Toledo I think it was, he was an absolute beast. He had something like 3 sacks, a forced fumble or two, and was already in the double digits in tackles in the game, and the other team was routinely putting a TE to help the OT, and a RB chipping him on the way out of the backfield. At one point they were only able to run a play with one receiver because Goddard was causing such havoc in the backfield. Everyone else was kept in to block. Looking at him you wouldn't figure him for a college DE because he is very fluid in his movement, and he looks very quick and doesn't look that big. I believe Marshall played Oklahoma or KState one year too, but I'm not sure how he did in those games. So he's definately faced some good competition.

personally i see us drafting D-lineman in the later rounds

at NT i think the best player will be:
anthony bryant 6'3'' 337lbs his 40 time was 4.97...although that's not fast when you think about how big he is that's pretty impressive
jason jefferson 6'1'' 310lbs played a lot in the big 10 conference and does real well against the run
sione pouha 6'3'' 325lbs 40 time 5.06...supposed to be really strong

at DE for i us here is a couple of players to look at:
jovan haye 6'2'' 284lbs 4.75 guy is a boom or bust type player worth taking a long look at
lorenzo alexander 6'2'' 289lbs 5.07 a lot has been said about this guys strength and ability to stuff the run
jay ratliff 6'5'' 278lbs 40 4.87 everyone says this guy has a great attitude and is always in the weight room
jim davis 6'3'' 277lbs this is a poor man's marcus spears...always seems to make plays and someone you can never count out

as for OLB or ILB's i don't see a lot of guys that fight our defense but here's a few:
adell duckett 6'3'' 270 4.81...extremely productive in the big 12 creating sacks and ints
jonathan goddard 6'0'' 238lbs 4.68...always seemd to find away to the QB

some other players:
daniel loper ot
jon dunn ot
dylan gandy c
bobby purify rb
alex haynes rb
lionel gates rb
dustin long qb
stan hill qb
tony jackson te

James Butler S Georgia Tech Butler, who worked out at the combine, measured up at 6-1½ and 212 pounds. He ran a 4.49 and 4.55 in the 40, had a 44-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot-8 long jump, a 4.04 short shuttle and a 6.71 three-cone drill.

Leon Robinson OG Georgia Tech Robinson (6-3¾, 317) ran 4.99 and 5.03 in his 40s. He had a 36-inch vertical, a 9-foot-5 long jump, a 4.98 short shuttle, a 7.98 three-cone drill and 29 reps.

Thomas Johnson DT Mid. Tenn. State Johnson (6-2, 294) ran his 40s in 5.07 and 5.12. He had a 29½-inch vertical jump, 8-foot-9 long jump, 4.72 short shuttle, 7.72 three-cone drill and put up 30 reps.

Elliott Harris DT Ark. Harris (6-3 3/8, 279) ran a 40 in 4.81 wearing track shoes, and ran 4.91 in another 40 without them. He had a 35-inch vertical, a 10-foot-6 long jump, a 4.35 short shuttle, a 7.60 three-cone drill and did 26 lifts

Troy Humphrey TE Central Michigan Humphrey (6-1 5/8, 257) ran his 40s in 4.47 twice. He had a 38-inch vertical, a 10-foot-5 long jump, a 3.94 short shuttle, an 11.07 long shuttle, a 7.01 cone drill and 21 reps.

Dwight Ellick CB Notre Dame Ellick (5-10 3/8, 182) ran his 40s in 4.38, 4.40 and 4.37 He had a 36-inch vertical jump, 10-foot-2 long jump, did 17 reps and ran a 4.13 short shuttle and a 6.95 three-cone drill.

Jason Respert C Tenn Respert (6-2 5/8, 307) ran his 40s in 5.33 and 5.34. He had a 31½-inch vertical, an 8-foot-2 long jump, a 4.70 short shuttle, a 7.83 three-cone drill and 33 strength reps

beerlover said:
here is one of mine, I think the Texans have two 7th round picks although my source is only showing one (#204, maybe the Chiefs #206)

We have 2 picks in 7th round. We do have the chiefs pick

Of all the ones I listed that Tight End Humphrey intrigues me the most. If He can Block he would be a game changing TE because with 4.47 Speed at the TE position good luck to Linebackers trying to keep pace.

Back