Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

"Late" Signings the Norm

I meant to post this several days ago before the signings of Molden, Slaton, and Okam; but real life intervened.

A lot of people were concerned that so many draft picks weren't signed. However, it is normal for drafted rookies to sign shortly before training camp. In fact, of the 51 Texans draft picks before this year, 32 signed within 10 days of training camp. This year will make that 37 out of 57.

2008 Season
July 25 First Practice Day
?????? (1)Duane Brown
July 21 (3)Antwaun Molden
July 21 (3)Steve Slaton
July 21 (5)Frank Okam
July 16 (4)Xavier Adibi
June 26 (7)Alex Brink
June 19 (6)Dominique Barber

2007 Season
July 27 First Practice Day
July 27 (1)Amobi Okoye
July 26 (4)Fred Bennett
July 26 (5)Brandon Frye
July 24 (3)Jacoby Jones
July 23 (5)Brandon Harrison
July 23 (6)Kasey Studdard
July 19 (7)Zac Diles

2006 Season
July 28 First Practice Day
July 23 (3)Charles Spencer
July 23 (3)Eric Winston
July 13 (6)Wali Lundy
July 13 (7)David Anderson
July 12 (4)Owen Daniels
July 07 (2)DeMeco Ryans
April 28 (1)Mario Williams

2005 Season
July 30 (1)Travis Johnson
July 30 First Practice Day
July 29 (3)Vernand Morency
July 29 (4)Jerome Mathis
July 20 (5)Drew Hodgdon
June 25 (6)CC Brown
June 17 (7)Kenneth Pettway

2004 Season
July 31 First Practice Day
July 30 (4)Glenn Earl
July 28 (6)Vontez Duff
July 27 (6)Charlie Anderson
July 24 (1)Dunta Robinson
July 21 (7)BJ Symons
June 26 (1)Jason Babin
June 23 (6)Jammal Lord
June 21 (7)Sloan Thomas
June 08 (7)Raheem Orr

2003 Season
July 26 First Practice Day
July 25 (3)Dave Ragone
July 24 (2)Bennie Joppru
July 23 (3)Antwan Peek
July 22 (1)Andre Johnson
July 18 (3)Seth Wand
July 17 (4)Domanick Davis
June 06 (7)Chance Pearce
June 04 (7)Curry Burns
May 30 (6)Keith Wright

2002 Season
July 23 First Practice Day
July 19 (2)Jabar Gaffney
July 19 (4)Jonathan Wells
July 19 (5)Jarrod Baxter
July 17 (3)Fred Weary
July 17 (5)Ramon Walker
July 16 (2)Chester Pitts
July 15 (3)Charles Hill
July 13 (6)DeMarcus Faggins
June 27 (7)Greg White
June 27 (7)Ahmad Miller
June 19 (6)Howard Green
April 20 (1)David Carr

You should have only gone back to 2006. I don't care about the previous regime. And I'd like the opportunity to forget it.

Thanks so much for reminding me.

BornOrange rep coming your way. Every year the masses start screaming about no signings, and every year the job gets done.

Honestly the team can and seems to be able to do a contract a day, if you look at the last 3 drafts. With a full compliment of picks, that only covers a week, BTW I will allow the team a few extra days to get the 1st pick signed, those contracts are usually more involved, with voidable years and roster bonuses, the language has to be just right.

So thank you for showing us this chart.

BornOrange rep coming your way. Every year the masses start screaming about no signings, and every year the job gets done.

Honestly the team can and seems to be able to do a contract a day, if you look at the last 3 drafts. With a full compliment of picks, that only covers a week, BTW I will allow the team a few extra days to get the 1st pick signed, those contracts are usually more involved, with voidable years and roster bonuses, the language has to be just right.

So thank you for showing us this chart.

Agree with you PK! Thanks BornOrange for doing the homework and posting this.

:tiphat:

You should have only gone back to 2006. I don't care about the previous regime. And I'd like the opportunity to forget it.

Thanks so much for reminding me.
I included the past regime:
1) To remind people that it has always been this way with the Texans
2) To indicate that it is not just this way with Smith, but with other GM's

Polo said:
All this thread does is remind me of the terrible picks we've made

Thorn said:
LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

texan pride said:
Wow, this thread is depressing.

To compile this list I went down the transactions lists each year from houstontexans.com. It was a sad trip down memory lane to see all the different signings and trades like those for Hollings, Wade, Babin, Buchanon, etc. Thankfully we have better decision makers now.

I included the past regime:
1) To remind people that it has always been this way with the Texans
2) To indicate that it is not just this way with Smith, but with other GM's

Actually, I think the Texans are probably one of the better teams at getting all their picks signed before camp. I saw a list on another web site (sorry, can't remember where) a couple of days ago that had only 2 teams with all their draft picks signed. I think it was Washington and Philly. What really amazed me was there were some teams who hadn't signed even one player yet and others, like the "cowturds" who had only signed one! So, I think the Texans have one of the better FO for getting these things done. JMHO!

Actually, I think the Texans are probably one of the better teams at getting all their picks signed before camp. I saw a list on another web site (sorry, can't remember where) a couple of days ago that had only 2 teams with all their draft picks signed. I think it was Washington and Philly. What really amazed me was there were some teams who hadn't signed even one player yet and others, like the "cowturds" who had only signed one! So, I think the Texans have one of the better FO for getting these things done. JMHO!

Found the other site. Here's the link http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2008/06/2008-nfl-rookie-signing-status.html

It has been updated and the Browns and Giants have signed all their picks in addition to Washington and Philly. Also, all teams now have at least 1 player signed. Come on Texans, get Brown signed! :yahoo:

Great post...sad...but great. This should be the saddest stickey we have.

I have faith that Brown will be signed by Friday.

To compile this list I went down the transactions lists each year from houstontexans.com. It was a sad trip down memory lane to see all the different signings and trades like those for Hollings, Wade, Babin, Buchanon, etc. Thankfully we have better decision makers now.

thanks for doing the leg work!
and thanks for reminding me of how much we've progressed in chosing personnel

It looked like the Colts were going to be in trouble with holdouts because they only had one pick out of nine signed. However, they signed seven guys yesterday and just have a sixth round pick left unsigned.

ESPN's AFC Central Blog

Back