Larry Zierlein Fired as Pitt O-Line coach

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by HoustonFrog, Jan 7, 2010.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Sorry to hear LZ. What is interesting is the talk on Omar Epps...err...Tomlin. What? A team talking about being dissatisfied with a 9-7 coach coming off a SB:kitten:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4802929&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

2. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

I saw that. I feel terrible for Lance and his father.

3. playa465

playa465 Site Contributor

The Steelers line has been excellent at run blocking, but their pass protection has been shaky for a couple of years now...many times Big Ben has made plays while running for his life. Tomlin stuck with him and finally had enough.

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Steelers are cleaning house with their assistant coaching staff. They don't like going 9-7

5. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Part of their shaky pass protection is because Ben holds the ball too long. He's built like a LB so he can take the beating that comes with waiting an extra half second to make a play with the ball. But if the Steelers want to run a pass heavy offense and have Big Ben be the QB they're gonna have to upgrade the personnel on the OL. For instance, they could've drafted a guy like Max Unger with their 1st round pick instead of a DL in Ziggy Hood.

6. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

Yep, it just shows that not everything is sunshine and rainbows when you're a hair above average in this league, despite what some here believe.

7. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

But....but Vinny, don't the players do the blocking and pass protection? How could it possibly be a coaches fault when players fail to get the job done?

This kind of crap would never float here in Houston I can tell you that!:clown:

8. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Corrected for ya' :runaway:

9. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

10. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Give me a break. Tomlin took over a team that had won the SB a year before. Kubiak took over a team that was 2-14 team....A 2 -14 TEAM!!!!! Maybe Kubes should have won 4 games the first year, 6 the second and 8 the third and 9 this year. Maybe he got to 8-8 too fast for some of ya...

Cjeremy635 likes this.
  11. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

:thinking: Letting Alan Faneca get away might have a little something to do with it.

I hope Lance can still have a good time at the game tonight.

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

More importantly they won the SB last year and became the 1st SB winner in how long to not make the playoffs the next year?

Except Faneca left before last year's SB.

13. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

As someone mentioned, they've struggled in pass protection for a couple of years now.

14. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Yes they have but as your synergy of suck comments go that isn't all on the pass protection. Their #3 vaunted rushing attack went to #23 and #19. Big Ben has been pushed more and more to win games. People around here want to talk about Schaub holding the ball, watch that guy. I don't know if it is poor coaching on the play calling or Big Ben holding out for the long ball but it isn't helping the OL.

15. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

I think he holds on to the ball because he can many times get away with it because he is so big and slippery, but eventually they get to him.

16. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

For a team coming off a Super Bowl, there SHOULD be a ton of heat for losing to the likes of CLE, KC, and OAK. It's unfortunate that the O-Line coach got fired because Big Ben holds the ball way too long. Losing a ton of games late in the 4th quarter doesn't help either. I guess the great Mike Tomlin can't get his team "to play 4 quarters" either. :)

17. Heath Shuler

Heath Shuler worst 2 1st