Larry Johnson - The power back the Texans need.

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by alphajoker, Dec 30, 2008.

1. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

I just saw on NFLN that he does not want to return to the Chiefs. I don't know what it will take to get him, but I think he would be the perfect compliment to Slaton. What do you guys think and if you think he's worth pursuing, what do you think it would take to get him?

2. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I think it would take too much. I also think that he will not want to come to a team that already has a premiere back.

3. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

Since Kubes has a thing for veteran running backs, I think Edgerrin James might do good here as a backup.

4. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Sigh.

The guy may not even get 15 carries a game with Slaton as the main guy. We're going to pay a boatload of money for a guy who:

1 - will want starter's carries.
    2 - has had a TON of character issues
    3 - could very likely start 2009 on suspension
    4 - quit on his team in KC
    5 - is very clearly a me-first, selfish player who went in the tank once he got his big contract

Not just no, but HELL no.

281 and brakos82 like this.
  5. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

We can draft a good enough back in the 3rd or 4th round to help Slaton out. We don't need to be paying millions of bucks for another has been.

edit to say: I do think someone to help Slaton out, a short yardage brusier, is a must acquisition in the off season though.

6. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

That's who I'm expecting us to take a look at. There's no question he's leaving Arizona.

7. 281

281 Hall of Fame

exactly.

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Everyone lock up your wives and daughters. 4 assaults on women in the last 5 years.

Again, other people have covered it. Too much money for limited touches.

9. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

Add to the fact he was a Colt at one point. Has he had injuries in Arizona?
    Because I do not want any one that is injury prone. I do not want no part of damaged goods after the Awman "I'm injured again" Green experiment.

No to Larry Johnson, he is not one of our "guys". He is a very selfish player like Diehard mentioned.

10. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

Agree- good at pass protection, used to the zone-blocking scheme and no significant injuries the past few seasons.

11. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

May know a few Colt formations, also a very good receiver out of the backfield. Hightower said that James was very professional in assisting with his developement in the pro game.

12. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Heck, he'd be a better fit than Shaun Alexander but....NO thanks.

13. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Edge hasn't had any noteworthy injuries, but he didn't have any blocking in the Denny Green era and he doesn't fit the new regime. He had a 100 yard game to finish out the season, but for the most part, Hightower was the main guy for Arizona.

14. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

A big huge heaping helping of "aaaaah hells no" on LJ.

Edge is interesting, but he could be done. He didn't get any help in Arizona, where I think backs take their careers to die. I just don't know if he would be an over the hill signing ala Green. Granted, Edge has been injury free, but what's left in the tank after running behind a subpar line in Arizona?

15. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

Edge James

I could definately live with them alternating Slaton and Green as the lightning (like what they did with Ahman this year before he finally kicked the bucket or something similar). While they pick up a late round double quarterpounder who actually knows how to fall forward for a yard.

Especially since this would prolong Slatons career, give him a veteran role mode (a great one at that) added injury protection, and if they're both healthy and by some miracle we make the playoffs, they'll both have some serious energy saved up.

In my mind, I have Slaton averaging 18 carries, James averaging 14, and new powerback averaging 6 a game. Thats almost 40 run plays a game though ... hmm...

16. rollinstone18

rollinstone18 let it bleed

Dude is a grown ass man who spits on women.

pass.

17. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

LJ is a no for me. James would be interesting, would all in all be an improvement over LJ, when coupled with looking at $, role expectations, and character issues.

If we're going to blow a whole load of coin on a veteran I would prefer shopping for Deuce, who looks set to leave the Saints (although we couldn't give him the premiere running back role he is reportedly leaving to maintain).

18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Deuce?? His freakin knees are held together by duck butter nowadays. Might as well sign Cadillac Williams, who just tore his shit up.....again.

19. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

Not advocating that we should take this route at all (hence my terminology of 'wasting' the money.). We are just more likely to get away with a short contract on someone like Duece, or arrange it so that we aren't lumbered with large guarenteed money numbers due to health concerns (unlike our 4 yearer with Ahman) rather than having to dish out a 4 year money churner for someone who has played less games this year.

As it is, FA isn't the way to get our complimentary back for Stevie, so this is all pretty trivial for me anyways.

20. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

I think Rhodes is a free agent. I think that would be a good fit if we can't find anyone in the draft.