LaRon Landry

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Smokedawg, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Smokedawg

Smokedawg Veteran

2. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

I don't know his stats, but he looks to be a pretty big guy.

3. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Right now, he is penciled in as my pick for Texans #1 pic. A big guy who can go up against the bigger receivers.

Smokedawg likes this.
  4. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

Can he cover and read is my question? Glenn Earl can hit people.

5. Smokedawg

Smokedawg Veteran

He is real good in coverage. teams plan around him. he is kind of like DeMeco in which he is very instinctive and all over the field

6. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

I hope you are right because I have seen negatives on him

Did you go to LSU? That might make a difference in how I see your opinion of this guy (not that my opinion matters anymore than yours lol)

I still say O-line for rounds 1-7 and get lucky with 2 great players. I see that as a Premium and I agree we need a safety but AP (Andrian Peterson) will get a lot of run, and I dont want to see us wait for round 3 again before we address the O-line.

threetoedpete likes this.
  7. Smokedawg

Smokedawg Veteran

Sadly no i didnt go, Baton Rouge was too big and im a small town guy in a town of about 3,000, so i chickened out

But i have followed him his whole career. he has been very consistent since he was a freshman, I agree 110% with you on the O-line though. we need a good strong foundation on both sides of the ball. I love AP, im just scared of his injuries, but hey look at Frank Gore he was always hurt at Miami.

8. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

Yeah, Gore had two blown knees, AP has a collar bone and a Knee I think, so he can still be something.

I love the Safety position so I hope we get someone who can cover and read the play so to speak. Im tired of watching either Earl or Brown take bad angles on deep balls and being late to give our CBs help

9. TexansCanes

TexansCanes All Pro

AP had a shoulder problem his freshman year, high ankle sprain soph. and now the collar bone.

i would love to get laron, after watching him the last three years i can say that no matter what, he brings it every game and you can always count on him.

10. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

I can back this up as well. I havent seen many passes thrown on him. Also, he is really instictive; I saw a WR run a 5 yard out where he was about 10 yards off, and he jumped it and just about picked it off (couldnt handle the pass). He is the AJ Hawk of this draft, the one player who has everything you want and is very low risk. He is the consistent presence we need at FS and someone who can be counted on.

Smokedawg likes this.
  11. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

He is sounding good

I still want an O-line

Smokedawg likes this.
  12. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I want anyone from LSU in the first round...

13. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

I used to want O Line R1 or R2, but I just gave up and said screw it. Go O Line in FA or make it a R3 tradition. Kubiak and Smith know what they're looking for, I trust they can fix our O Line without it costing us more than we should.

14. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Weary, Pitts, and Spencer are pretty much guaranteed a spot next year....if you want Winston at RT, we can keep Hogdon or draft a young C. We just need depth in the later rounds. Maybe a potential starter, but no earlier than the first.

As for RB, I'm not in love with this class. I don't see a DeAngelo Williams, a guy who is guaranteed to be somewhat successful at least, I think all of these guys are risky. I'd go no earlier than 3rd unless we get one of the big names in the second.

15. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

I trust them because they did a great job with the draft (VY or not).

But I still dont like Flanagan, he was a waste so I worry about their ability for free agency.

How does Landry stack up against Merriwhether, Griffen and Eric Weddle at the Safety position?

16. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Well, we can't spend anything higher than a 1st on anyone, it's just not possible. Hogdon has been blown up every game he's ever played. He is not NFL starter material. Weary will likely shift to C if Flanagen can't handle it.

I see a few RB's that look more promising than Williams last year. I see AP, Lynch, Bush being better pros than Williams. I see Wolfe being a very good pro and better than Williams in a ZBS.

17. Smokedawg

Smokedawg Veteran

I dont think there is really any comparison. Merriwhether isnt anything special(especially after the fighting incident). I know Griffen has big stats, but Texas defense is no where near LSU's cuz LSU force alot of 3 and outs and arent on the field as much, plus like stated earlier LaROn started as a true freshman and the 2003 Nat. Champ. so that says something and has been consistent for 4 years strait. i dont know much about weddle.

Goldeagle likes this.
  18. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Landry is solid all around. He doesn't have a glaring weakness, but he doesn't have much upside. He is pretty much at his peak which is very good as is. He is as solid as they come from college. He is a very safe pick. Merriwether and Nelson are the big play guys. They both have tons of upside. Nelson will be the better pro, but may take a few extra games to get going like Landry. I don't see Griffin playing FS, and I don't see Weddle being better than what we have.

As far as FA OL go, look at Stienbach.

19. Smokedawg

Smokedawg Veteran

i agree on G. Wolfe he may be little but he is a beast.

20. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

I like Merriwhether (if that is how to spell his name) he seemed to have some ability to cover the slot WR and make some good reads.