LaRon Landry may be up for trade, any interest?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Wolf, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

2. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

They don't want Landry, we don't want Dunta. Sounds like the perfect scenario. Dunta will get his big payday from Dan Snyder, and the Texans get the biggest need they have in a FS with outstanding range. Sounds like a win-win to me, although there is probably no chance in hell this happens.

3. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

It really shouldn't be an issue a player isn't present for voluntary workouts.

4. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I agree, but coaches are like (pardon my stereotype) some women.. when they say "it is ok if you don't want to do it" but what hey mean is "you NEED to be there"

5. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I'd do it for sure. LaRon Landry is a solid football player with no significant injuries in his past. He hasn't been a bawlhawk thus far in his career but he is still very young. DRob seems to be unhappy with the situation here.

I think Landry could be make more of an impact to our defense than DRob can.

6. Mari-OWNED!

Mari-OWNED! Bucco Bruce

His contract is a little jacked up, but it's his fault for signing it.

2009: $935,000
    2010: $1,267,500
    2011: $1,600,000
    2012: $1,932,500 (Voidable Year) Does this mean they can cut him and won't have to pay him?
    2013: Free Agent

Source - http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFl&id=4178

We're definitely offering Dunta better cash than Landry is getting, but I'm not too sure if it is what the Texans should go for. I really don't know much about Landry besides looking up his stats...

7. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Please expand on exactly what the Texans have done to make you think they don't want Dunta.

8. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Likewise with the Redskins. He may be referring to the fanbase, not the organization.

9. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Landry and Willis were my two favorite players of the '07 draft. I'd love to get Landry. Although some activities are 'voluntary', I like seeing the dedication and team chemistry of players being there, like Demeco Ryans. It shows leadership and in the secondary, the S is usually the leader. What concerns me are the reports of Landry not returning calls/texts from the Head Coach. This is a huge red flag for me.
    Landry is a very very smart player, him missing some time, I don't think is a big deal from a learning standpoint for him. If anything, it just hurts the other players, but you could argue that it's giving other players more practice.

I'd be in favor of a Dunta for Landry trade. I think Landry is they type of Safety that would be great on this team. A FS/SS kind of guy that can come up in the box for us or play deep. Wilson, Landry, Ferguson, Barber, Nolan, Harrison... that would be a pretty solid group of safeties.

Only do the trade if you feel Bennett is ready to take over the starting spot across from Reeves.

10. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

What he said.

11. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

12. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

I agree with Ole Miss, there is a huge red flag from a player not showing up for OTA's and ignoring calls from the head coach. No doubt he's un upgrade at FS, but I'm not sure if the chemistry is right for the team Smithiak has assembled. Hopefully it's Landry's way of getting out of DC rather than him being lazy.

13. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

If it was a straight up deal, dunta for laron, i would have to think about it because all things point to Dunta wearing a different uniform in 2010 anyway.

14. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

And that's the main reason I'd be interested in the deal.

15. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Landry is also two and a half years younger.

16. GP

GP Go Texans!

I'd do this deal yesterday, as long as it doesn't involve us giving up anything but Dunta. And it would require Dunta wanting to go to Snyderland...unless there was a third team involved.

17. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

dude won't even call the coach back or return a text. I wouldn't want guys like this working for me.

18. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    For any questions Landry may have attitude-wise they are also present for Dunta Robinson. Not showing up for voluntary workouts? Check. Maybe Dunta picks up the phone when Kubiak calls but what exactly does that matter if he still isn't coming to practice? Thanks for answering and telling me AGAIN that you're not coming? Sweet.

Landry for Dunta is an interesting proposition. I was on the draft Landry bandwagon for sure...I suppose the only red light I have with this is what exactly will Dunta bring when he eventually does bring it?

19. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

We better have interest if we want to move to the next level.. the guy is an upgrade at either safety position.

20. GP

GP Go Texans!

What if there's more there than we know about, though?

People are quick to point that out about Dunta...that he and management might not be all that far away, and that it's "just OTAs"...and if you're unsure about where you're playing, and things have stalled on negotiations, wouldn't it be natural for the player to stand down?

I think if these two players are done with their current teams, then get them the hell out of each city. Pronto. Each player brings his own value to a team that might need that value, to fill a void. There's only a small percentage of players who continue to be unhappy wherever they go: T.O. is the ring leader of them. But sometimes a player just isn't a fit with the staff and/or system.

Sometimes it feels like there's more pride involved than there should be. Which is why I think Mangini and McDaniels are failures right now. They think they are coaching in the early 1960s or something. Professional sports leagues are no longer organizationally-focused. It's all about the individual player and how HE can get a team over the top. The sooner front offices realize that, and find ways to work within it and not against it, the better.