Largest Area for Concern... Corners or Safeties?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Shaft75, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

I'm with safeties on this one.

We have ignored elite safety prospects for years, with the FO throwing draft picks to the at the defensive front and cb's. I get it too, a better rush and you don't have to worry about your last line of defense. While I somewhat agree, don't all of the playoff teams have a top notch safety?

How we address it... I have no idea. Move Quin back, then sign a free agent? That is the only solution that comes to mind. As a matter of fact, put the number 1 FA safety on my list ahead of the stud corners out there.

2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

No way is safety more important than corner on this roster. We have no one that is solid at either corner and closest is Allen. I never got much film of him last season so can not really evaluate him. If we do not get a vet Cb, we better hope KJ can be re-habbed more quickly than I expect. I have been pushing Harris since way before draft and some others are pushing him on radio stations now. He will be a starter at one of the corners by game three. Kid is solid. If I felt more comfortable with Allen I might agree with you. I see putting him and Harris on corners and either Roc or McMannis at nickle. KJ is the wild card.

Quin will be a very good FS and Barber will occupy the other side unless Keo beats him out. Nolan will backup. I think safety has been improved. Of note, I'd like to see what Brice McCain could do with his speed at safety.

3. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

Corner is a more important position than Safety. We don't have a good one at either spot, so CB is the larger area for concern.

4. FirstTexansFan

FirstTexansFan The Unknown Fan

5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

How can you compare Safey to Corner. I'm interested in your thought process.

6. FirstTexansFan

FirstTexansFan The Unknown Fan

Thought process? I'm lucky if I remember what I had for breakfast lol. I look to you guys for real info ;)

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

It's not about comparing positions. One broken link can bring everything down. Everything the Texans currently have in the secondary is unknown or known to suck. Sure, it should be easier and cheaper to cover the safety positions. Should be. Thus far in Texans history, safety has been pain in the arse. Matt Stevens, the failed Marcus Coleman experiment, CC Brown, Eugene Wilson, etc. How can a Texan fan not be concerned about the safety spots?

8. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Of course it is. Why ? It's really quite simple: the position demands a better athlete than safety does, just like tackle demands a better athlete than guard in the offensive line and everone knows and agrees that OT is a more valuable and important position than guard. Athletes get "paid" in the NFL.
    And this isn't a theory, as there's factual evience to document the greater value of CB in the market place. Just look at the history of the NFL Draft and Free Agency. There's really no argument here.

9. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I agree with all of that, but it doesn't necessarily mean WE need a corner(s) MORE than we need a safety(s). I think it's kind of a toss-up, unless we already have a good one on our roster.

10. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

I'm going to go with corner.

If you have a good corner, he can stand on an island and let you do different things with your safeties.

But I wouldn't pass on a Troy Polamalu type at safety.

11. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

You could almost look at this question by seeing what is likely to happen if a team has a "poor" cornerback vs. a "poor" safety........essentially having no cornerback vs. no safety at all (which seemed to be the case in many games last year). Without the safety, the cornerback would have to cover the receiver one on one and do his best. He'd probably win some battles and lose some. However, without the cornerback, the safety would lose every battle, if for no other reason than the receiver wouldn't even be covered for five or ten yards. Teams can "make it" with so-so safeties, but having so-so cornerbacks (especially 2 such cornerbacks) can lead to devastating big plays for the opposing offense.

12. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

Like CND said...

Some of you guys need to be more cerebral about this. Couple points I want to make.

1) I think we have more of a make do cb core right now with the young talent we have. We are losing our two starting safeties, so that is TWO new guys on defense from day one. How do you feel about Nolan and Quin as our last line of defense? A step further... How do you feel about Quin being the general of our secondary? I just threw up in my mouth a little.

2) Think of who is actually on or has been on our roster at safety. Our best safety was either another teams trash or a converted corner. One could argue that the Texans d has suffered because of this. And here we go again converting a marginal corner, thinking he's the answer.

3) Great defenses have great safeties. And since we are trying to build something great with Wade & Co., well I don't think we can afford to avoid this position any longer.

Safety is more important to me right now.

13. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Prediction:

Opening day safeties:
    Quin
    Keo

Opening day CBs:
    Free Agent (#1 CB)
    Brandon Harris (#2 CB)
    Kareem Jackson (nickel)
    Roc Carmichael (dime)
    Sherrick McManis (gunner)

cut: Molden, McCain, Allen not re-signed

So who is that free agent #1 CB?

Likely: Ike Taylor
    Outside shot: Jonathan Joseph
    Unlikely: Nnamdi Asomugha

14. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I have to go with safeties by a small margin on this one. It takes a better athlete, in general, to play corner but it takes a smarter player to play safety. Better safety play will hide some defecincies of our corners.

15. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Ike Taylor sounds like he’s ready, willing to leave Pittsburgh

16. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I vote Option C: coaching. I honestly can't believe that a 1st round CB looked as bad as he did last year without some coaching issues. I don't know if the back pedal thing, the scheme, or just a lack of quality teaching at this level, but I have grave concerns about the coaching on the defensive side of the ball.

17. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Jason Allen need not be re-signed, because he is already under contract for the 2011 season.

My bold roster/depth chart prediction for the secondary:

CB#1 - Free Agent
    CB#2 - Jason Allen
    CB#3 - Brandon Harris
    CB#4 - Roc Carmichael
    CB#5 - Kareem Jackson

FS - Glover Quin
    SS - Free Agent
    Reserves - Keo, Free Agent

18. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I like this lineup.

19. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

We'll probably keep a 6th CB and keep him inactive for the games, unless one of our other young ones is practice squad eligible, ... McMannis?

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Wonder if one of the excess CB's could be traded for a WR like Buster Davis/Roy Williams etc....