Landry or Meriweather

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by BuffSoldier, Oct 10, 2006.

1. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

I know that LaRon Landry is supposedly the best safety available in the upcoming draft, but I cant stop thinking that it would be a smarter decision to take Meriweather. I can say this for a few reasons.

Recently The U has been churning out great prospects at two positions, the first being TE with Shockey, Winslow, and now Olsen and also at safety with Reed, then Taylor, and now Meriweather.

Another reason is because of how much Meriweather reminds me of Reed. Both seem a bit undersized. Meriweather is 6'0"-195 and Reed is 5'11"-200, but they both play so much bigger. Their size and speed make them a great coverage safety, but Meriweather won Miami's "Hard Hitter" Award last year, so it obviouse that he can also bring the hat.

All that being said, I wouldnt be upset with either one, especially since I dont have any measurables outside of their build and how they have played thus far, and as you always know, the combine/pro-day always plays a big part in who the top rated players are.

2. real

real Guest

Im not a big Landry fan....Granted I've only seen him play once...

But I am big on Merri and Griffin.....I think that one of them might fall lto the second round....I was all for picking a Safety with our first round pick, but I think that one of the top three will fall to the second.....

3. HomeBred_Texan

HomeBred_Texan Hall of Fame

What difference does it make. We need a RB with our first pick, period...

And even Coach Kubes knows it too... See his chronic report...

4. real

real Guest

Great job contributing to the conversation....:ok:

5. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Landry over Meriweather but I like Michael Griffin.

6. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

Landry, Meriweather isnt even the best safety prospect on his own team right now. Landry is a BALANCED FS which is what we need more than anything. He's a sure tackler and plays well against the pass. I just feel its the safer bet.

7. Titan "Tack" Fan

Titan "Tack" Fan Hall of Fame

Once out of his entire 4 year career? You do know that he's started since his freshman year, when LSU won the national title.

8. real

real Guest

yeah I know....But I didn't know who he was back then....This past weekend was the first time I actually 'watched' him....

9. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

You need to watch him play more often, its extremely difficult to get a good read on a player only seeing him once.

10. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

i've followed meriweather his whole career. honestly he's never done anything that really stands out. good tackler...around the ball.....but nothing spectacular. ed reed was spectacular. sean taylor was RIDICULOUSLY spectacular.

meriweather is only the THIRD best safety on this canes roster.

11. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

Landry, but i really like griffin, and he seems like a good kid, how doesnt have attitude problems

12. NEROtheZERO

NEROtheZERO Veteran

Interesting topic but all that is being thrown around is subjective judgements. Anyone have any numbers or quotes from scouts to back their stance?

13. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

As you can see, Landry is just a playmaker. Nothing against Meriweather Im just more impressed with Landry's body of work. In 2003 and 2004, as a freshman and sophmore Landry lead the team in tackles. He's just been consistent his entire college career and that's something our defensive secondary could use. We need a FS that Dunta and [insert CB #2's name here] desprately need so they can have trust in who's behind them. To put it simply, Landry's game is solid.

On a side note, not sure on the true totals on Meriweather because I could see if he had sacks or anything else. LSU's football site had stats all thru Landry's career, Meriweather only had this years and I had to use draft countdown which only showed those 3 catagories you see (tackles, PBUs, INTs).

LARON LANDRY, 6'2" 202
    2003 - 80 tackles, 4 PBUs, 2 INTs, 3 sacks, 1 Blocked Kick
    2004 - 92 tackles, 6 PBUs, 4 INTs, 3 sacks, 1 FF
    2005 - 69 tackles, 8 PBUs, 3 INTs
    2006 - 30 tackles, 1 PBU, 1 INT, 1 Blocked Kick

BRANDON MERIWEATHER, 6'0" 195
    2002 - 3 tackles
    2003 - 22 tackles, 5 PBUs, 1 INT
    2004 - 62 tackles, 5 PBUs, 2 INTs
    2005 - 115 tackles, 7 PBUs, 3 INTs
    2006 - 23 tackles, 3 PBUs, 1 INT, 1 sack

14. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Don't forget Bubba Franks came before Shockey. And can you honestly say Taylor has lived up to his hype?

I'd take Landry.

15. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I like the SEC over the ACC, so Landry.

16. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

LSU plays are welled coached, and miami :confused: lets just says they got a bit of a problem :hides:

im not sayin merriweather will be a menace, cause look at Andre Johnson, but lately theres nothin but trouble

so landry over merriweather

17. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

such as?

for the record, one of the reasons people hate coker so much is because he doesn't recruit the usual "thugs" miami is known for having.

18. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

Willie Williams . . .

19. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

What about Reggie Nelson from the Gators. The guys a jr. and he looks solid.

20. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

Ey isn't Griffin also a FS. I think he's playing better than Meriweather right now and would also make a great addition to the Texans.