Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Lance Zierlein's 2023 NFL.com Mock Draft 1.0

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Texans take Bryce Young @ 1.2 and Tennessee wideout Jalin Hyatt @1.12

Click on the player's link and it goes to LZ's player profile.

Some interesting comps:

Will Anderson = DeMarcus Ware
Jalen Carter = Jeffery Simmons
CJ Stroud = Jared Goff (LZ stole that from @steelbtexan)
Will Levis = Jay Cutler
Bryce Young = Nobody. He's a unicorn.

28289941_web1_220228-KCN-morning-start_2-640x427.jpg

I've not seen Sanders or White this high but they are really good. Hyatt is just really fast, short or long distances. I would be surprised if Johnston not the guy at 12.

Some interesting comps:

Will Levis = Jay Cutler

Who's comps ?
I'm curious most or all about the Levis-Cutler comparison ? Is it because Levis has a very strong & impressive arm, or because he's a real head-case ?

Who's comps ?
I'm curious most or all about the Levis-Cutler comparison ? Is it because Levis has a very strong & impressive arm, or because he's a real head-case ?
They have similar abilities. Both needed more consistency.

I think a big part of Cutler's issues was he is a diabetic.

Imo I don’t see Bijan falling that far, but what do I know

Bijan has the fewest questions of any player in the draft(imo). In another era, he might go number 1 overall. that said, there are a few good free-agent RBs and the perception of depth in the draft class, so trying to predict which team will truly go BPA is a challenge for mock drafters.

Some interesting comps:

Will Levis = Jay Cutler

Lance is closer to the sources than anyone here but I'm betting if Chicago stays at #1 and take Carter, Texans may do a double take and snag Anderson with the intention of moving up from #12 to grab a QB - especially as their guy is still on the board.
That will throw a cat among the pigeons.

Bryan Bresee not taken in the 1st round? The only way I see that happening is if his ACL rears its ugly head & he showed no signs of lingering issues with that last year. Myles Murphy dropping to 29? I'm hearing really good things about Drew Sanders, but #8 is a monster jump up the boards. Hmmm....., Lance was the only one to pick the Texans first two picks in his last mock last year. Maybe he's got another good call for this year left in him.

And if Cal lets Meco & Nick do their jobs, I won't be one bit surprised if they pass on a QB at #2. Listening to the press conference I got the impression that they may work on the offensive &/or defensive trenches with the first two picks. In my opinion, you can take a QB this year & be mediocre, or you can continue building the foundation & create a dynasty for years to come. But, we'll have to wait & see what they're going to do.

I think the women do better mocks than the men on NFL Network. Freelund has us passing on a QB in the first round & selecting Will Anderson at #2. Her explanation for the Texans taking Addison over Johnston at #12 is more thought out than the guys, but if Bresee is still there at #12 & there are no concerns about his repaired ACL, I have to take him. Anderson & Bresee in the first & the addition of Meco as the head coach would significantly improve our defense going into next year. Looking at the scoring from this year's games, plugging the middle of the defense & shutting down the run game could've given us 4-6 more wins than we got. And if Schmitz is still there at 33, I take him to start at center on day one. But, if Pittsburgh snags him at 32 (thanks Chicago, for trading #32 to Pittsburgh you jerks), then I take Cody Mauch to play center. https://www.nfl.com/news/cynthia-frelund-2023-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-cowboys-take-rb-bijan-robinson

If Young is there at 1.2 you take him.

Was on the levis train and i still like him, but even at his smaller size young just has so much going for him hed be hard to pass up.

I think the women do better mocks than the men on NFL Network. Freelund has us passing on a QB in the first round & selecting Will Anderson at #2. Her explanation for the Texans taking Addison over Johnston at #12 is more thought out than the guys, but if Bresee is still there at #12 & there are no concerns about his repaired ACL, I have to take him. Anderson & Bresee in the first & the addition of Meco as the head coach would significantly improve our defense going into next year. Looking at the scoring from this year's games, plugging the middle of the defense & shutting down the run game could've given us 4-6 more wins than we got. And if Schmitz is still there at 33, I take him to start at center on day one. But, if Pittsburgh snags him at 32 (thanks Chicago, for trading #32 to Pittsburgh you jerks), then I take Cody Mauch to play center. https://www.nfl.com/news/cynthia-frelund-2023-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-cowboys-take-rb-bijan-robinson
I’m not in the market for a QB (I know we need to add QBs to the roster). But it does make sense to bring in a veteran QB. Everyone is going to be learning a new system together. Can’t be good for a rookie QB, long term, for him or the team.

I’m not in the market for a QB (I know we need to add QBs to the roster). But it does make sense to bring in a veteran QB. Everyone is going to be learning a new system together. Can’t be good for a rookie QB, long term, for him or the team.
The thing is, everyone seems to have forgotten that we're in the middle of a massive rebuild. They're all hyped up about getting a QB with the #2 pick, but if we do that before we finish building the foundation (the trenches), then all he's going to do is run for his life on every play just like Watson was doing. And that's why Watson demanded a trade.

Sure, we can win a few more games, but all we'll ever be is average & hoping for a chance at a Superbowl. If Caserio & Demeco are allowed to finish the rebuild the right way, the Texans could become a dynasty in my opinion. I agree with the idea of bringing in a veteran QB to compete for the starting role. There are still a lot of holes to fill, but the two biggest holes on this team are the middle of the D'Line & O'Line. Just because we have some serious cap space this year, it doesn't make sense to run out & spend it all as soon as you get it. Besides, they're going to have to resign both Tunsil & Howard, and Tunsil won't come cheap.

The irony is that this board makes me laugh & angry at the same time. lol

The thing is, everyone seems to have forgotten that we're in the middle of a massive rebuild. They're all hyped up about getting a QB with the #2 pick, but if we do that before we finish building the foundation (the trenches), then all he's going to do is run for his life on every play just like Watson was doing. And that's why Watson demanded a trade.

Sure, we can win a few more games, but all we'll ever be is average & hoping for a chance at a Superbowl. If Caserio & Demeco are allowed to finish the rebuild the right way, the Texans could become a dynasty in my opinion. I agree with the idea of bringing in a veteran QB to compete for the starting role. There are still a lot of holes to fill, but the two biggest holes on this team are the middle of the D'Line & O'Line. Just because we have some serious cap space this year, it doesn't make sense to run out & spend it all as soon as you get it. Besides, they're going to have to resign both Tunsil & Howard, and Tunsil won't come cheap.

The irony is that this board makes me laugh & angry at the same time. lol
Yeah, it's a rebuild, but it would only take a couple of very good players on both sides of the ball to turn this team around.
Some top class coaching will also improve the guys we already have.
And those things are very doable - in fact I reckon we can do more than that this off-season with some decent vets brought in and some success with a rich draft bank as well.
We also get couple of high draft picks from last season that should come back and be ready to impress.

Yeah, it's a rebuild, but it would only take a couple of very good players on both sides of the ball to turn this team around.
Some top class coaching will also improve the guys we already have.
And those things are very doable - in fact I reckon we can do more than that this off-season with some decent vets brought in and some success with a rich draft bank as well.
We also get couple of high draft picks from last season that should come back and be ready to impress.
They're a couple of players away from being avg.

Can they draft a QB and become avg in a couple of years? Yes they can, if avg is what you are looking for then they should draft an avg QB in an avg QB class so they can become an avg team

Back