Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Lance Zierlein - Mock Draft Version 3

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
I want to throw in my take on this. Winning answers all. If the Texans are winners, then no one will care that the passed on a guy, if the player actually drafted is a solid contributor.
But that's always the "answer." the texans can draft 8 busts this year, but win and no one will care. T

the question is whether continually thinking short term and taking a lesser guy because of so-called needs is a better strategy than taking the guy who is a better long-term talent.

awtysst

Draft Guru
OK after consideration I think you would have to take Thomas in this scenario. The gap between Thomas and the next safety is huge while there would be plenty of CB in the 2nd. McCourty, Jackson, Robinson...

Here is another question. What if when the Texans pick came up Thomas, Dan Williams, Wilson, Matthews, and Brian Price were available, who do you pick?
I agree with your take on my situation. We could grab Brandon Ghee in the second and pair him with Thomas. If we took a CB, we would have to look at a safety like Reshad Jones or Morgan Burnett in the second or Major Wright in the 3rd or fourth. I think Thomas-Ghee is a better duo.

To answer your scenario I go with the BPA and in my mind that is still Thomas. I think there are better values at DT and Price and Williams do not wow me. I am usually against a 1st round RB becuase of the risk level. So again we come down to CB vs S and I use the previous logic to grab the awesome FS over the very good CB.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Very good response and I agree with your reasoning. I am not sure if the Texans are needing a true NT or a solid penetrating 1 gap DT. I am thinking that Kollar would like to fine a DT that will disrupt an OL with a high motor more than a 2 gap run stopper.

Best value would seem to me to be Thomas again.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
When I saw Ryan Matthews on youtube and he jumped over the pile from the 3 yard line, I quickly recalled the Jville and AZ. game. So I'm considering it. To be honest though, when I saw the clips I got this LT feeling about him. I'm not sold on him but there's some good stuff there.

Everyone looks good on a youtube video. The guy looks like a man among boys. What would he look like versus SEC or Big 12 competition? That's what's so difficult to ascertain.

The Texans took a smaller college prospect a couple of drafts ago. I'd hope they would go with a more proven player that has competed against the best college has to offer. This guy is likely a long term project and the Texans need to see results now.
Who's to say they don't draft a more proven CB is the first two round and take this guy in the 3rd or 4th to groom as a FS behind Wilson?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Who's to say they don't draft a more proven CB is the first two round and take this guy in the 3rd or 4th to groom as a FS behind Wilson?
I could see this happening.

There will be come combination of DT,CB,RB and S in the 1st 4 rds. IMHO

Hopefully it will be Rd.1 Thomas Rd.2 Hardesty Rd.3 Best CB Spievey

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
Joe Haden Joe Haden Joe Haden!!!!

Would you pass on Darrelle Revis because of his size? Now if they don't think Haden could be successful in this system, them I'm fine with not drafting him. I just value a potential shutdown CB higher than a RB in this system. But his size is fine. Same as Revis, Bigger than Dunta, same as Reeves, same height as Quin but 11 lbs lighter (based on nfl.com / cbs draft info), roughly the same size as Champ Bailey. I mean he's what, 5'11 and 194 lbs?

Take Haden and then reach for Ben Tate in the 2nd and we be good. Matthews may be THE running back (Chris Johnson for illustrative purposes) of this years draft.... but I take Jonathan Stewart in the 2nd as a consolation prize when I draft Darrelle Revis in the 1st!!
Just me, but with Cushing and Ryans and Pollard, I don't think that having your corner hold the edge is as important as it use to be with this club. Our linebackers have the speed to chase down anyone in the league.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
I don't care if our CB hold the edge, I want a corner who will break up passes and get some turnovers.

After all is that not their job?

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
I don't care if our CB hold the edge, I want a corner who will break up passes and get some turnovers.

After all is that not their job?
You mean like Robinson did for the last two years? Look the defense is fine. They have to have a rushing attack. That's it. If they can't run the ball, they're hanging around five hundred again and also rans. If they can run the ball the opposing defenses will always be on their heels and we can roast anyone in the league. And finally, if you can't run at the end of December though January, you're not going anywhere. If you feel this strongly about it move up and take the free ranging free safety from Texas to play next to Pollard. As for the corners, they are a mixed bag. And I see no one who is going to set anyone that they currently have on the roster on the pine. Sorry. At least draft a starter with the first round pick. Kubiak is not going to start any of these guys out of camp. I don't know what it is about that, that you don't understand.

badboy

Hall of Fame
You mean like Robinson did for the last two years? Look the defense is fine. They have to have a rushing attack. That's it. If they can't run the ball, they're hanging around five hundred again and also rans. If they can run the ball the opposing defenses will always be on their heels and we can roast anyone in the league. And finally, if you can't run at the end of December though January, you're not going anywhere. If you feel this strongly about it move up and take the free ranging free safety from Texas to play next to Pollard. As for the corners, they are a mixed bag. And I see no one who is going to set anyone that they currently have on the roster on the pine. Sorry. At least draft a starter with the first round pick. Kubiak is not going to start any of these guys out of camp. I don't know what it is about that, that you don't understand.
I pretty much agree with you 3TP but I think Kyle Wilson and McCourty could challenge. i also think Ansah in the 3rd round could challenge for a starter role some time during the season as I think coaches will polish his skills.