Lance Z’s blog

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Heath Shuler, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Heath Shuler

Heath Shuler worst 2 1st

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2009/08/post_111.html
    I hope this is just an isolated incident.

2. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

3. Heath Shuler

Heath Shuler worst 2 1st

Do you remember which thread? thanks

4. Honoring Earl 34

I found it , look at post # 196 in the Official Training Camp thread .

5. quicksilver

quicksilver Overweight

Post #198 (penultimate post on page 10) of the Official Training Camp Thread.

6. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

I'm sure a lot of people are going to be upset with Antonio for this and he should surely shoulder some of the blame but we always talk about players having to be professionals and that applies to the coaches as well. That is a really childish low blow right there, I don't care if he was trying to light a fire under him either, find another way.

Goldensilence likes this.
  7. Honoring Earl 34

Yep ... he hit a nerve .

8. Heath Shuler

Heath Shuler worst 2 1st

thanks

9. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Zierlin or whatever his name is has always been an awful blogger for the chronicle. He usually offers 0 insight and most often unreadable. D-line coaches are supposed to get under their players' skin, Kollar was a d-lineman himself in the league and he knows how to light fires. He's different than Jethro Franklin in that he won't scream them down but he will push their buttons. This is what this sounds like. Would you rather have your d-lineman passive and accepting of criticisms? We don't know what was said exactly but everyone says AS is a high-motor, hard-working good guy so for Zierlin or whatever the heck to sensationalize like this is ridiculous.

Vinny likes this.
  10. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I like it.. Kollar got under smith's nerve and even if it were just one day at this point, I am ok with it. coaches have to push players. in truth one play can make a difference in a game

11. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

Hey m5kwatts, I've never gave someone negative rep before but you were almost the first for going after LZ. Your obviously not a Gamer and haven't followed Lance the way some of us have. LZ has some of the best sources in the entire NFL. His football insight and intelligence is greater than any other sports writer or broadcaster in the city of Houston and its not that close either. If you would have followed Lance from his 610 days, you would know just how funny and entertaining he is. That's why some of his blog entries may seem odd to you. Its just Lance being Lance to me. You ought to tune into his morning show on 1560 AM or you can listen to it on the net live at 1560thegame.com.

quicksilver likes this.
  12. RagingBull

RagingBull Hall of Shame

LZ's radio show is probably the thing I miss most since moving away from H-town. I agree that his football knowledge and insight is by far superior to any other mainstream journalist in town. He is also one funny dude. I think he did the right thing in reporting the incident. It will let AS know he can't get away with acting like that. I am sure he is embarrassed by the incident being reported in the paper (at least he should be).

13. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

If Kollar did say that I'm not saying AS's tirade was ok, but I understand and that isn't the kind of message you want to send as a new coach. I agree find another way, the what if implications are unfair.

14. J. Sean Wonton

J. Sean Wonton Veteran

i don't think the coach would say something like that unless he felt there was a need. we brought kollar in to push people because we have too many d lineman getting too much money and not doing anything. i'm glad kollar is doing what he's paid to do.

i'm not saying that smith isn't doing anything right. it's early, and i have no idea what smith is or isn't doing. i'm just saying that it sounds like the coach felt smith needed a little extra motivation. i hope smith responds with improved performance rather than a bad attitude because it's really all about the team getting better and winning a championship. at least, that's what it should be about.

even individually, it can be about becoming the best player that you can be. williams is a case in point. the dude is a beast, classy, never gives less than his best, and you can see him being upset in the highlights when he feels like he didn't get the results he expects. andre johnson is the same way. just about every nfl player gets good money, but not a lot of them get hell of respect. just the guys like williams and johnson.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  15. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Dude - you lost me at the criticism of LZ. Massive fail on your part!

16. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

everyone needs to relax, take a deep breath....it's freaken pre-season :drool:

17. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Agree!

18. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Agreed.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  19. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I have no problem with the story being reported, heck I found it amusing and entertaining. I just don't like the slant he had on it. If he hasn't seen a lineman blow up at a line coach in training camp than he hasn't been paying attention to all these training camps he claims to have seen. He's acting like this happened in the 4th quarter of the AFC championship game. He's sensationalizing something thats better off just being reported the way it happened, something Chronical writers tend to do.

I didn't mean to attack Z personally or anything, I just get annoyed when a story is being taken in a direction it didn't need to go.

GuerillaBlack likes this.
  20. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

Lance's dad is the offensive line coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers so I'm pretty sure he knows the inside skinny on coaches and players in the NFL. He has great knowledge of the game and many sources around the league. Lance is hands down the best sports writer/broadcaster/blogger in Houston as Texan JBZ said. You are entitled to your opinion but I don't think you will find anyone on this bb that agrees with your criticism of LZ.

http://news.steelers.com/team/coach/49256/