Lamar Miller Expectations

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Earl34, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

Many of our successful pass plays, watch and you will see a rb and TE helping block, so it tells you how good the folks are

2. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I have been pleasantly surprised by the turnaround.

I think the OL getting more time together has helped the most.

Even given the big plays Miller has been having he still doesn't explode off the screen like a lot of backs do.

3. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Yes, he may played into not getting cut after the season or getting a phony extension which is for cap hit purposes. Non-elite RBs on a third contract is pretty much burning good money. I would not expect Miller on the Texans in 2020.

steelbtexan likes this.
  4. vupac1

vupac1 Veteran

Nick Martin reportedly gives credit to Demaryius Thomas helping change the run game with his style of play too

5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I am responding to your post as it is springboard for others and my thoughts. You are correct. Also I've said Watson would be the catalyst to make all offense better and he has. A QB with Watson's talents can win with an offense we have. His hand offs to Miller and fakes to RB then pass is much better; he is selling it more like Schaub did. He also makes coach talked about coach of year candidacy that I wouldn't vote for but wouldn't fuss over either.

Miller is a guy that I had cut going into 2020 and use his cap $7.25 m for Le'Veon Bell partial payment. I still want Bell who IMO is better but use Miller next season then let go for possible comp pick or sign him. Regardless doesn't appear that Foreman will be back this year & Doc's recent post injury thread "at best some good games but deteriorating fast" 2019. We can afford Miller and Bell with some dollar juggling easily. 2019 cap space is $70 million without cuts. That's a great backfield to keep pressure on 100 percent of game.

6. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

money has to go to KJAX, honey badger and clowney as well. Maybe some OL or CB Free agents, so interested what you would prioritize as their is a cap

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Can you clarify your post and questions? Badger wants S.B. so that limits his choices as does teams having $ to overpay.

Despite Lamar Miller's recent stats I'm still not all mushy on keeping him.

Carr Bombed likes this.
  8. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Lev Bell had a heavy workload last year with over 300 carries...that’s a recipe for a disaster FA wise. It would be hard but I would stay away from Bell and look to poach Ingram from NO.

9. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I'd rather draft a guy late or find a talented UDFA than bring in a free agent RB. But if adding one to the mix I think Tevin Coleman would fit in well on this team, especially if used like when baby Shanny was the OC for the Falcons.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

You think maybe that's what this is all about? He's hiding some medical issue?

11. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I don’t think so, I just think he wants to be compensated as the Steelers have used him pretty much his entire career and as the best back in the league.. forget the 321 carries last year, he’s had at a minimum of 300+ touches every year he’s been in the league......except the year he got injured. the Steelers have effectively run him into the ground his entire career. He’s 26 now, he’ll be 27 by mid year next year...a year he’ll likely spend most of trying to get back acclimated to the game after being out of the league for a year. so you’re talking about 2 years at most of top level production before he turns 30 in which case the decline will probably start to set in...and that’s best case scenario...meaning he doesn’t get hurt in that 2 year time span.

I just think you’ll get more bang for your buck with Ingram over the long haul and you won’t have to break the bank.

12. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

He played himself and will ultimately go down as one of the dumbest players in NFL history.

13. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Says the resident hater of the messageboard.

14. Texecutioner

You didn't even try, and that was actually your best move. :spit: What do I need to hate on? I could care less. Only a complete idiot would think that Bell made the right move when he won't get paid for the entire season now, will be a year older trying to negotiate again, will have worst rust on him like he did early on last season, and will have a a lot less leverage now with the few GM's that will even deal with him.

15. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

If u coud care less, you wouldn’t have made the comment but I digress.

No one should hate on a guy trying to get every penny of his worth. Especially in a league without fully guaranteed contracts.

steelbtexan likes this.
  16. Texecutioner

It isn't hating by pointing out what every analyst who understands NFL contracts and his leverage situation is saying. It's called common sense based on his age, his negotiating position (Clearly he didn't have one), and the fact that he'll be even worse off from negotiating next season. I don't hate on everyone for holding out. He plays for the Steelers and they aren't an organization you want to typically try that with and that's been proven now. I've supported a few holdouts like Hines Ward who also played for the Steelers and luckily it worked out for him. I guess I wasn't hating back then. Lol!

17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

We will see on this.

I hope the Texans aren't the suckers on this deal.

Unlike some of the folks I really respect, signing Bell would be a misuse of resources due to useage rate already in his career vs $$$$ it will take to sign him.

How about using those resources this way, re-sign KJAX/Tag Clowney, then trade a 3rd for Jenkins and sign Claiborne in FA. Remember KJo is coming off the books for 9 mil.

Texas Jake and Texecutioner like this.
  18. Texecutioner

You can't invest a lot of money into a RB when you still have a broken Oline. I want nothing to do with signing Bell.

maverick512000 and steelbtexan like this.
  19. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Bell is one of the smartest runners out there, patient he absorbs hits well, knows when to go down. I think its really reaching to say that he's on some kind of decline especially being anecdotal. No signs on the field point to that conclusion. I understand the workload argument, but if you look at what Adrian Peterson is doing the really good guys find ways to stay productive, PLUS what are we looking at 4-5 years? His contract ends when its time to back up the trucks for Watson? A[art from an MCL tear he had a few years ago most of his wear and tear is minor:

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/leveon-bell/6666

I think Bill OBriens running philosophy and Bells running style are a match made in heaven. Bell understands the chaos, he knows linemen will get beat, he waits for that and then makes his decision. Add to that WR type hands. Last week instead of Joe freakin' Webb in the slot you could have put Bell in there and then brought in your backup RB. Add to that Bell is significantly better in pass pro, some wierd tidbit that I cant seem to substantiate is that he's never given up a sack. That PITT when Bell is not in on pass downs has DOUBLE the sack % then when he's in there. Miller has gotten 'better' at pass protection, but by no means is he good at it. Bell is GREAT at it.

"but bell has carried the ball too much he's going to get hurt" ..... paralysis by analysis.

thunderkyss and santo like this.
  20. Texas Jake

Texas Jake All Pro

Bell would be a good addition. What concerns me is how much it is going to cost.