Labor Woes

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by b0ng, Feb 1, 2010.

1. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

You called it SH

Source

2. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I wonder how many teams/owners would go bankrupt if there was a lockout... or how many owner's would be forced to sell their team. Or how much revenue the cities will lose because of this. Almost seems like a "too big to fail" sort of thing.

3. DeMarCushPoll

DeMarCushPoll UDFA

Hopefully, the two sides will come together and get a deal done before it comes to a lock out in 2011. If not well I guess we'll all have to turn our attention to Curling or something.

4. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I imagine players not receiving a paycheck for a year will be much more devestated by a lockout. I don't think the owners would do it unless they knew they could weather a year without.

5. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

It would be just our luck as Houston Fans for a strike/lock out to be held right about the time some of our best guys are in thier prime and ready to make a deep play off run.

Why oh why do the Football Gods torture us so? We are good people that love our football in the Great State of Texas, and City of Houston. Can't the Football Gods go after other city's like Seattle for instance. The Football God's let them have a Super Bowl berth and this team can't even come up with thier own material, they had to rip it off from the Aggies, come 12th man seriously...... Go after then for goodness sakes.

Must we sacrifice something in order to get the blessing of the Football Gods for good fortune and football prosperity? I would gladly sacrifice Bud Adams at Reliant Stadium at the 50 Yard Line!!!!!

But I digress, oh look a squirrel..............

6. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

As I understand it, the TV and DirecTV revenue streams would still come to the owners even if there was a lockout.

Basically, TV would be bankrolling the lockout.

And what makes it particularly hard on players is the very short nature of the careers in the NFL. Missing time for them means missing a large part of their potential earning power.

7. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

I just cant come to believe that there will be a lockout. There is just no way imo. Teams are going to use this limbo to basically unload all their bad contracts and to try and get healthy before an agreement is reached.

8. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Time to fire up the XFL again.

9. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I don't have a link to the article, but on PFT a while back they reported that the owners will make 4 billion dollars in the year of the lockout, even if there are no games played, from t.v. deals that are guarunteed. The catch is that if there are no games played, the following year the NFL has to pay the stations back.

However, that is still much more than the players association can bear to go up against, they're really in a lose-lose situation right now.

10. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Well, on a scale from 1-10 with a 10 being definte, one thinks it's a 14.

I'm not sure which side is being difficult, but when I hear stuff like this...

It kinda skews me (and yeah, I know it's all relative - but still).

11. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

The players have much more to lose from a lockout, IMO.

12. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I can definitely agree with that. Aren't the owners going to get paid even if there's no 011 season? Or did I read that incorrectly?

*edit* I found this:

http://newsburglar.com/2009/06/03/will-there-be-an-nfl-lockout-in-2011/