Kyle Van Noy, OLB BYU

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Playoffs, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

PROSPECT PROFILE: KYLE VAN NOY
    Seems to be enough interest in KVN around here to warrant his own thread. While I don't see Dee Ford dropping to us at 2-1, Van Noy might. Is KVN a fit...? :logo:

2. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Is he a fit? YES! Is he an option? NO, not at 2-1 with Reed and Mercilus on the roster and holes at DE, DT, TE.

3. _King_

_King_ Guest

He's the best defensive player I've watched in this draft. I'd take him #1 overall and not blink. Really, on film I put him on par with bridgewater as the top prospects I've seen. If he's there at 2.1 you thank god, your lucky stars, or whatever and you pull that trigger.

Don't care about Reed or Mercilus. This guy has stud written all over him.

4. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Brooks Reed was rated 41st/42 3-4 OLBs and Whitney Mercilus was rated 42nd/42 3-4 OLBs overall last year -- that's last & laster, which matches their pass rush grade rankings except Mercilus shaded Reed.

Add in SCB Brice McCain's rating of 110th/110 CBs and those are the weakest links on our defense in 2013. (All >25% team snaps, PFF.)

We've got more holes than draft picks at this point, imo.

5. PHILLYTEXANFAN

PHILLYTEXANFAN All Pro

Brooks Reed AND Brandon Harris over Justin Houston. Little bit o weed drops you a lot. Houston was rated a first rd talent if I'm not mistaken

Your man... Pots and pans

6. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

Mercilus plays the elephant. Noy would play the strong side, allowing Reed to move inside. Reed doesn't have the skills to cover TE's playing on the outside. The real problem is, I'm beginning to see Van Noy slip into the bottom of the first round.

7. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

I don't know why people are surprised. He overshadowed Ansah (#5 pick by Lions) last year. I have him rated top 20 on my board. I think he's better than Barr personally.

8. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

If he is there at 33, DO IT.

I doubt he will be though, he is that good.

Currently have him at #18 on my personal big board.

9. _King_

_King_ Guest

I think van noy can play either side and I wouldn't pencil in merciless not reed. Both should be competing for playing time. Didn't like the merciless pick at all when we made it but I won't write him off yet. Still has time to get better but he needs some real competition.

We need much better from our OLB's. Much better.

10. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

He is my 3rd rated LB after Mack and Mosley.

11. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I'd love to draft this kid, I just don't think he's going to be there for us.

12. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

He's currently ranked #38 on CBS big board, so yes I think there's a chance we could get him at 2-1. I know these rankings aren't engraved in stone and don't mean much on draft day but I do think it's possible he could be available at 2-1. I'd love to have him at SOLB.

In all honesty though I'd look for that 2-1 pick to be traded down, we've just got so many holes to fill and an extra 3rd would really come in handy.

13. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Trade down from 1 and get Matthews. Trade up with assets to get this guy. Then draft a QB in the third or whatever we have left.

Just a nice path we could take if it works.

14. Blake

Blake MMQB

I think he is a fit. He is a fit for all 32 defenses. I am not spending anymore than the #33 pick on him. He is a nice player who could go in the 1st since he could play for any defense, but I think he is properly slotted at the very top of the 2nd.

He would be nice to have, but I think more pressing needs will be addressed with our #2.

15. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

All understood. However as of today there is no one on the depth chart at DE, DT, #2 TE, LILB and no salary cap $. You're absolutely RIGHT about holes and draft picks.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  16. texan_joe

texan_joe Rookie

If he is there at #33 and about they don't take him, they will regret it for a decade. He's a stud. They would also then be able to finally move Reed inside.
    That said, he won't be there at 33. ILB is a big hole on this team, and if you were to take a LB at 33 then Shayne Skov should be the pick.

17. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

If ur viewing him as a rush olb, I think you will be disapointed. He's very good in coverage. With his ability to decipher route concepts.

18. Marshall

Marshall Not pretty, but ALIVE!

OK. Say Van Noye and Amaro are both there at #33. Which do you choose? If I'm understanding you (Texian) correctly, it would be Jace Amaro.

What about the rest of you?

I'm out because I traded the 2nd in a series of trades for 2015 firsts.

19. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

The SSOLB's primary responsibility is in coverage against the TE and RB, and in run support. Although called upon to rush the QB on occasion, it is not a primary responsibility. This responsibility falls to the ELEPHANT.

20. Blake

Blake MMQB

Do I have any other options? I would say Amaro. Teddy is gonna need more weapons to grow with.