Kyle Turley: Would you want him?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Hottoddie, May 31, 2005.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

One website I read suggested that he might be a June 1 casualty. If he's cut & can pass a physical, would you sign him? He's only 29 years old & prior to last year, had only missed one game in the previous 6 years. He's got the kind of fire that this team needs & should have no problem taking over a leadership role on the Texans. He could be our starting LT & also has the versatility of playing RT as well. Would he be worth a shot, or would he be too much trouble?

2. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

turley plans do shift to the defensive line. so no, i don't see the texans pursuing him. plus, he might not ever play again.

3. YodAa

YodAa All Pro

There would be no harm in bringing him in to help our line, because its not like we have the best OL in the history of the NFL.

4. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

turley is trying to move to the DL so he can play at a lesser weight, around 280. there is as more of a chance of turley playing OL for the texans than of me rooting for the girls.

5. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

That's right. Cuts are today. This may delay the Shelton deal a couple of days.

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

The last time Turley tried to play LT he gave up 13.5 sacks on the season and had more penalties than Wand. Plus, he is vastly underweight/condition right now and doesn't even want to play OL anymore. The grass is not always greener.

7. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I trust that if we sign Shelton, Turley wont even get close to us nor we him.

8. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

He WAS a good RT, but we already have one of those in Wade. If Wiegert and Wade stay healthy this season, we should be okay on the right side of the line.

I would like to see Pitts stay at LG and continue to learn that position. He needs to stay in one place and develop. I think most of us realize that we don't have the players we want at LT and C. Until we have at least an average LT, we will have consistency issues offensively.

9. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

We have an average LT. I challenge you to name 20 LT's you would rather have than Wand- not to mention the fact that he's still learning/improving. The impatience of the people on this board is astounding.

Other than Freeney, I don't recall one defensive end coming totally free into Carr. Wand sent men wide often and held his ground pretty well. Most of those 15 sacks occured because of pocket pressure that forced Carr into the RDE (usually the team's best rusher), not because Wand got abused. He was sometimes overmatched but was hardly ever outright beaten.

10. Mr Shush

Mr Shush Veteran

Regardless of talent, condition, where he wants to play and anything else, I would not want a guy with Turley's attitude anywhere near my team.

11. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

Isn't Turley's back wrecked? I mean even when he was health a couple of years ago he let Warner get killed.

12. Mr Shush

Mr Shush Veteran

I think it was more Martz's all-round philosophy that got Warner killed than anything else.

13. ojthecat

ojthecat Veteran

I dont want him because physically he can't play on the offensive line anymore his back is shot he has said this. If he was his former self and had attitude issues I say so what. We are here to win games nothing more. Look Lawence Taylor had issues, so did Leon Lett, Michel Irvin, and on and on. Having choir boys is fine when you are an expansion team. That is over now it is time to win.

14. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Wouldn't it be ironic that the man that discovered Chester Pitts in a grocery store and got Pitts into playing football would end up lining next to him on the same team?

15. Vambo, the Marble Eye

Vambo, the Marble Eye Veteran

No, we do not need Kyle Turley... not now,and not ever.

He has played for too many losers. Besides how many people would agree with me that anybody that plays for more than a couple of seasons with the Saints is d'ain br'amaged.

So you have to ask at the point that as our talent level rises- we should have a TEAM comprised of people that know how to win.

idonno:

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I didn't want him when he was healthy. I sure don't want him now.

17. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Turley has been a cancer everywhere he has been. I don't think we even consider him.

18. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

These are the 22 that I KNOW are better than Wand right now. There might actually be more:

Matt Light New Eng.
    Jason Fabini Jets
    Jonathan Ogden Balt
    Levi Jones Cinci
    Ross Verba Cleve
    Marvel Smith Pitt
    Tarik Glenn Indi
    Brad Hopkins Tenn
    Matt Lepsis Denver
    Willie Roaf KC
    Barry Sims Oakland
    Roman Oben San Diego
    Flozell Adams Dallas
    Tra Thomas Philly
    Chris Samuels Wash
    Jeff Backus Detroit
    Chad Clifton Green Bay
    Bryant McKinnie Minnesota
    Wayne Gandy New Orleans
    Leonard Davis Arizona
    Orlando Pace St. Louis
    Walter Jones Seattle

19. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I'll take "Left Tackles that won't be available to the Houston Texans on opening day" for $1000 Alex!

Quite true I'm sure. I didn't think it would be that hard to find 20 guys better than Seth Wand, at least the 2004 version of Seth Wand.

I'm curious though whether any of the guys on your list have less experience than Seth or a similar amount of experience? Just wondering. I'd call last year his rookie season for all intents and purposes and I admit I'm not familiar with everyone up there (obviously the big names stand out). What did these guys, who are all better than Seth Wand, look like in their rookie season?

20. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Ross Verba is nothing more than a warmed over Guard and Wand as potential to be as good as probably 40% - 50% of that list. I don't see many second year starters on your list. Funny how the Texans fans cannot conceive that Wand will get better with coaching and time in the weight program like other young players.