Kyle Shannahan

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, Sep 22, 2008.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

This guy is charismatic, and he knows football. But is he a good coach? Ever since Sherman left and Shanny took over, our QB has looked like garbage. Our WRs are dropping passes and running bad routes. How much of this is on the players and how much of it is on Shanny?
    Lil' Shottenheimer is getting flack up in NY for his poor offensive moves, maybe this hire a kid from a NFL family experiment isn't working out

On the other hand, maybe its just the change from Sherman to Shanny that is causing commotion. Couple that with the new OL shceme, and its easy to see where the problems could start.

2. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Too early to tell. My early prediction is no, it's not him. Who's fault is it when we run up the middle against a 9 man front and don't audible to a pass or a run outside? Should be Schaub's fault, if he has all audibles allowed. If that was Shannahan, he's learning on the job. Not good. I mean, geez, I wouldn't have screwed that up.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

we have a rookie coach, rookie DC, rookie OC, rookie owner and a rookie GM....so I guess 0-2 is par for the course.

SheTexan likes this.
  4. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

I would say they are past rookie phase. I would say that under Kubiak and Smith the recourd has improved by an average of 2 games per year. I still have faith in all of them. I think kyle is gonna be great, just ran into to great defenses a Hurricane and now fans crying for his head.

At least Bob Mcnair isnt jerry or worse Bud.

5. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

How about a rookie LT and RB to boot . At least the rookies on TV had Kate Jackson .

6. Vinny

This team isn't any better than Capers best team and still has a first time head coach, first time owner, first time DC, first time OC and a first time GM that we just extended (based on one good draft). Look at the Dolphins tear apart the Patriots yesterday....It doesn't take Bill Parcells half a decade to start making a difference.

7. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

true Vinny

I am glad our motto is "NOW" but I am still confused on when "NOW" starts
    :jogger:

8. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I've heard kubes say on his show that he doesn't want his qb checking out of running plays too often or at least every time the qb sees a certain front... This goes along with his philosophy of wanting to run the ball ...so the answer to the bolded looks to be a no, schaub doesn't have much audible flexibility.

9. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

Well, what should be done?
    Should we fire Kubiak and have to start completely over?
    When David Carr was here, everyone else blamed him for the problems. When anyone tried to support the guy they got blasted. I remeber mentioning several times that our problems were not on the offense but in the secondary ( Demarcus Faggins) but everyone was so certain that Carr was the problem. So certain they developed an obsessive hatred and attachment to the guy (note Carr threads on both sites still). This debate is not new its just a rehash of every argument Texans fans have had since the beggining.

What is the problem? Is it circumstances, scheduling or bad drafting?
    The Mario draft is looking like the best draft the Texnas ever had, yet the architect of that draft was driven out of town. I do not think its the ownership because Mr. Mcnair has shown his willingness to spend money and I have a feeling once the slary cap goes , he will open up the bank because he is hungry for a winner more than we are. I know its frustrating to see other teams thrive after bad years while we stay mediocre.

Its the same thing we have ben discussing for years here, What to do with the Texans.

Who do we bring in that has the magic curall? Jimmy? We saw how his Miami expirament worked out. Parcells...... how many playoff wins has he had since leaving NE? Cowher.....? If Carolina cant get him how could we? So as of now we are left with what we have. Something has to change and I am at a loss for what that is.

10. Vinny

that's what message boards are for....talking football and giving the various opinions with your fellow fans. Who really cares what fan opinion is anyway...doesn't change the team in anyway, but it's fun to "talk football" with your buddies. It isn't the schedule since this is the NFL and you can't just put Rice on the schedule....you have to play NFL teams. We need a new director of scouting and we need to be patient as fans...'cause this team isn't going to compete for a playoff spot this season. Sadly.

11. Honoring Earl 34

What are Grier's resonsibilities ?

12. Vinny

13. Honoring Earl 34

14. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

Hell I wish he was more like Jerry. I am no Cowboys fan but you have to admit he makes sure he gets people that can win freaking games! I will say this he puts his hands into the cookie jar too many times but he goes after the best product available.

15. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

See, you need someone with a lot of NFL experience see.

Signed,
    Charlie Casserly and his wig

I, on the other hand, understand your point.

16. GP

GP Go Texans!

Forget the audible situation.

This team's WRs, and its TE, seem to run better routes, get in and out of the huddle more quickly, have a pep in their step, and just generally give "more" when Sage is in the game as QB. That happens when you know your QB isn't going to roll on the ground all day...look, when it started happening to David Carr a lot, the offense just gave up. How could you NOT?

I can't get past the Denver game last year, at the end of it: There was Kubiak, standing pretty proudly as the clock expired. Stuffed his game sheet away, snapped off the headset, and had a smile on his face: The team just took his former team to the task and won.

And then there's the shot of Sage smiling, on the field, not holding his head in his hands on the bench. He remained upright during the game, made some good plays, and led the team to the win. The commentators were even beginning to smell a controversy, the postgame interview was all about asking Sage if he felt he needed a starting gig. Sage expressed that he'd like one, but that he's not lobbying for one. Just wants to play well.

(Sigh)

But we have this QB, see. He's our guy, you see. This is just how the business goes. Everyone does OK sometimes, and then you're down again, see? And so we have to go slow. Evaluate. You don't want to act too quickly in the NFL. Slow and steady wins the race, see?

If I were the Browns HC, Brady Quinn gets plugged in next week.

It's not knee-jerking. It's trying SOMETHING instead of sitting there and letting your team think that each Sunday you're headed out to get your sack handed to you within about the first 10 minutes.

Kyle is not doing a bad job, IMO. It leaves his hands when he radio's it down to Kubiak. And it is DOCUMENTED that Kubiak still has override rights to the playcall that goes in. I saw some different playcalls that I had NEVER seen when Sherman was the OC. I see, at least, the intent to vary things up a little. I DON'T see a QB who can handle a rush. That's not on Shanny Jr., to me.

17. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

Shameaham, Shamaham, etc.

18. NBT

NBT Veteran

Kubes needs to quit being so pig headed stubborn and change starting QBs till Schaub shows he has settled down.

Yes, I heartily agree, Greer needs to go before he bankrupts the team signing old has beens to huge contracts.

19. will742

will742 Nukkkk

Most people don't remember that Kyle Shannahan hand-picked our 3rd round draft pick to fit into our offense. I think his name was Steve Slaton?

HJam72 likes this.
  20. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Shanahan doesn't call the plays. Kubiak does.

I think the biggest problem that the Texans have is a really messed up September that probably would have been messed up no matter what they did.