Kuharsky blog: Will new o-coord "slow down" Schaub and passing attack?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GP, Mar 25, 2010.

1. GP

GP Go Texans!

Kuharsky, in his AFC South blog, shares thoughts about Texans new o-coord. Not a very in-depth article, but it's something for us to kick around.

Excerpt:

I don't think Frank Bush cost us the playoffs, though. He had a very Richard Smith'ish first few games, but the defense made a bigger leap in 2009 than it did over the course of the three previous seasons under Richard Smith.

2. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I think the OC has much less of an impact on the offensive side of the ball than the DC does on the defense due to Kubiak and his background.

That's just my thought though.

TimeKiller and BigBull17 like this.
  3. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

If by "slow down" he helps us get a credible running game to give us more balance on offense then yes I hope he does.

4. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

He certainly didn't slow down Jay Cutler during his time there.

5. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Anyways if less passing yards means more rushing yards and wins I won't give a crap.

Texan_Bill likes this.
  6. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Exactly.. Well said.

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Exactly again.

8. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Is that really all that important? I don't care how many yards we get in either category as long as it translates into WINS. There's a lot of people coming around to the idea that thos who pass and stop the pass most effectively win more than those who run and stop the run effectively. http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/01/the_cold_hard_football_facts_o_1.html

9. Vinnie

Vinnie with an I E

If it means the run game gets better at all it will translate into more wins. You just can't expect to throw as much as the Texans did this past season EVERY season, that's crazy. Now if we can get an even average running game going with our elite passing game, now you're talking.

10. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

No offense, but I don't really care about that. Last season a rookie QB and rookie HC almost found themselves in the SB strictly on running the ball and stopping the run.

Don't really care if last season was a pass happy season, year in and year out, more often than not running the ball and stopping the run means mucho success in this league.

I mean don't get me wrong, I don't want to become a boring conservative team, but we are a team that struggles to win/pull out close games.........the lack of a running game is the biggest reason for that. We have been one of the best passing offenses in the league for a couple of seasons now (and haven't accomplished crap) and last season the lack of a consistent running game cost us a chance at the playoffs...that's about all I need to know about how important a good running game is. I don't really care what other stats say, I know the reason why we still haven't punched our playoff ticket is because we can't run the ball consistently, especially in short yardage situations.

I would've gladly taken about 700-800 less passing yards from Schaub this season if you would've promised me a dominant running game in return......hell even just a above average running game.

With a better running game last season we sweep Jacksonville, most likely beat Arizona, and we atleast split with the Colts (and you can say that about the Colts for the last couple of seasons).......thus easily putting us in the playoffs. Yeah a running game would be great. I'm getting tired of aerial shootouts (especially against the Colts) where games come down to the wire. The only time we ever beat the Colts is where we ran all over them and wore them into the ground. Ron Dayne murdered them and had one of his best days as a pro. Give me a team that can run the ball when the other team is expecting us to run the ball (like in game where he beat the Colts) late in games and then pair them with Schaub and Andre and that's a team that's really going places. Until Houston can do that, well....I'll expect much of the same. Another year of being outdueled by Peyton late in games and another year where we'll drop about 4 games that we should've won inside of our 5 yard line.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  11. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Ding ding ding winner

12. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Even with that link, I believe that Kubiak's specific offense will work better with a credible running game. I believe it would help their scoring offense, keep Schaub safer and more effective.

As for Kuharsky's topic, I address that in this recent post:

Offensive coaching changes affect on team

In part:

BigBull17 likes this.
  13. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I think a steady running game can increase Schaub's output as that will mean more third down conversions, which means longer drives, which means more yards and hopefully more touchdowns.

14. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Also, Schaub has a DEADLY play fake when he really wants to sell it. If the running game is working, he'll be able to use those play fakes more and that should open up things in the passing game.

15. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Except that this year the two teams with the best passing attacks were the ones actually in the Super Bowl. Same with last year too. Seems to me the passing game nearly won the game for the Cards last year and DID win the game for the Steelers.

16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Yep. But you must have the threat of the running game. Even though the running game might not be good, if you can run occasionaly, the defense has to account for that first. That slows them for just one step, and that can be all the difference.

17. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I think our offense must be balanced. Otherwise any good defensive coordinator will load up to stop your strength and dare you to beat them with your weakness.

18. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

The ability to impose the run is necessary for red zone production. Guess what area this team needs to improve upon to translate offensive production to wins.

19. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Again, I don't care about other teams......I'm talking about this team. The running game prevented us from making the playoffs destroying our chance at getting in a Super Bowl.

I'm not saying we need to scrap the passing game, I like our passing game, but anybody who doesn't think a running game would greatly help this team is crazy. Especially after all the third and shorts/goal line situations we haven't been able to pick up.

20. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

When you think about it, this is really becoming a 'chicken & egg' argument. The two Super Bowl teams are feared for the deadly efficiency of their passing attacks. So when they run - especially the Colts - it's an effective surprise. Let me put it this way; if the Colts came out in "I" formation and tried to run the ball on the first two downs every time, "to establish the run", would they be as feared as when they line up spread out and no one knows where The Peyton is going with the ball?? I think not.