Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiaks take on Carr

Wordem said:
McNair cannot afford to lose with Bush. Houstonians will lose interest just like they did this season. The empty seats hurt the bottom line. He has absolutely nothing to lose finaincially if he takes VY. He will increase his fanbase in Texas exponentially. If he takes Bush, this franchise will never compete with the Cowboys for new fans.

The seats would be just as empty if we were to lose with Young. Winning fills the seats; losing empties them.

Kaiser Toro said:
It is crazy and its is still early in the game with the first quarter finishing on 1/15 with college players having to declare and with our HC horefully in place on 1/16.

There is no doubt that it will continue to be crazy until Tagliabue actually sasys the words, "with the the first pick the....."
You kidding? Its gonna get worse after those words. The only time it will get better is when DC is parading the SB trophy around Reliant

LikeABoss said:
Morency? Morency is not half the player Bush is... Wells probably won't even be on the roster when a new coach comes in. USC definitely made a horrible coaching decision by not playing Bush down the stretch in that game. After he just scored that 26 yard rushing touchdown against Texas (that was USC's longest run by the way, Carrol just completely stopped using him. After he just scored the longest FRICKEN rushing TD for USC he just completely stopped using him.

The coaching decision not to use Bush as any kind of weapon after that TD just completely blew me away, and I just didn't understand it. I mean the dude just scored a fricken TD. He didn't even use Bush as a WR until Vince scored that game winning TD and USC was trying to mount a comeback with no time outs left because it was stupidly blown on that 2 pt conversion.

And if you call 13 carrries for 82 yards @ 6.3 yards per carry 1 TD with 6 catches for 95 yards @ 15.8 yards per catch being covered, then you must be one delusional person. Reggie Bush had more recieving yards than the Texas wide recievers. As for Hollings, he is not even relevant to this kind of talent, so you shouldn't even have mentioned him. I can care less how fast Hollings is, he clearly didn't get it done in college the way Bush has injuries or no injuries.

For three years Bush has proven himself and has gotten better every year. And I think that all this talk since the Rose Bowl about Reggie Bush not being good, is over hyped, and will be a bust because he can't run up the middle crap is gonna motivate him to do well and prove alot of people wrong. He will quiet alot of his critics when he wrecks havoc in the NFL you just wait and see.
Can you really blame Caroll when they score TD's on 4 consecutive posessions? Its not like they were struguling without Reggie, they were dominating...

bayshorebevo said:
david is a great guy and i assumed we were taking bush because vince was going back to school. the one thing that vince is, all talent issues aside, is a bonafide winner that carried the horns on his back every big game following the mizzou game last yr (except for a&m game this yr, they almost beat us). i really like david, but i've seen every houston texan as well as every horn play for years and i haven't seen david carry us on his back once. vince has the intangible, the never-say-die attitude that hardly anybody else has.
Hey, the best O-line in college football, great RB's, a system that is taylor made for him and a great D does not hurt. Dc has none of those things...

LikeABoss said:
Big stats out of a shotgun offense tailored around Young's strengths.

The name Alex Smith rings a bell to anyone around here?

Lienart is the most prepared QB prospect because he's been running a pro offense at USC for 3 years.

Vince hasn't done it for one season, he will not be prepared to step right in and be more productive than Carr.

Gee, imagine building on offense around a superstar's strengths. Why would anyone do that? Force them into something you want, darn it to heck if they could carry the team playing in an unconventional way. You know it just hasn't worked out for the Falcons has it.

The one thing I see that sets Vince Young light years above David Carr is leadership. If you ask who the leader of the Texans is, David Carr won't even be mentioned. D Rob, Payne, Walker, DD, and maybe even Pitts would get the nod over Carr. Young has leadership ability and would become a leader in year one with the Texans just because of his ability to execute in the crunch. Carr will never be a leader.

HardKnockTexan said:
Right... what would a someone that coached Steve Young and John Elway know about quarterbacks??

That is one of the smartest posts I have seen about David. If Kubiak feels that this kid has chops, and he should know who the hell do we think we are as armchair coaches judging DC. . I say lets just see what kind of QB we really have. Lets get a Good Coach a develope him.

zeplin said:
That is one of the smartest posts I have seen about David. If Kubiak feels that this kid has chops, and he should know who the hell do we think we are as armchair coaches judging DC. . I say lets just see what kind of QB we really have. Lets get a Good Coach a develope him.
Amen brother man.

So I am not alone.

bayshorebevo said:
tell me one game dc won by himself
2003 vs the Falcons when David came off the bench with a torn shoulder and ran 25 yards down the field even taking a direct hit. Setting up the winning score for the Texans.

bayshorebevo said:
tell me one game dc won by himself

Plenty of games at Fresno

Vince hasn't one a game by himself in the NFL. I'll be happy either way. I'm a huge Carr guy, but I'm also a huge VY guy

Whats a better backfield

Vince and DD or
Carr and Reggie

Thats a tough call, but I think I'd give the edge to Carr and Reggie. (DD would still be here with Reggie too...I have heard people talking about a Carr for Ricky Williams trade which would make things interesting)

TEXANRED said:
The impressions that I was getting before the Rose Bowl, NFL scouts were looking at Vince as more of a wide receiver than a QB in the NFL. (The little bit that I have read here and there so if anyone has anything to add to that, and I am sure there will be, I would be greatfull)So then he goes out and has a good game against a horribly called Vic Fangio style defense all of a sudden he is a Tiger Woods, an MJ. Really?

The reviews on Young as QB or WR were mixed after the 2004 season. As 2005 wore on more and more scouts viewed him as a legitimate QB prospect and before the Rose Bowl the scouts looking at Young at WR were a very small minority. The Rose Bowl elimated pretty much any doubters as to whether or not to view VY as a QB or not.

You guys are amazing. David was a Vince Young when he came out of college. Up until the Rose Bowl, Vince was good, and just because of the last few plays he made at the end of the game, he is God. Vince couldn't have done any better than David did for the last 4 years, given what David has been given. Most players out of college don't start. Just like VY will do if he is a Titan. He will sit on the bench for a year at least. David stepped out and if you all remember that first year, got many touchdowns himself. So, most big NFL people see his potential and I want him to have a chance. Is he ruined? I don't think so. His personality is not one of that character. If it was, he would be paralyzed or lame, or in the hospital after being crashed on and put on his back for 4 years. HE DESERVES THE OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE A GOOD COACH AND A LINE THAT CAN GIVE HIM TIME, and coaches that either give him the option to call plays or know what plays to call. PLEASE, we have had enough of the other. You saw what he could do when he was allowed to read it his way. Just think how great it could be with some options and some time and some GREAT coaches!!!!!

Another thing about Kubiak coming here, I've heard Shanahan has cleared him to bring in some of the other assistant coaches from Denver to accompany him to Houston. I think I saw it on an article on ESPN.com and I don't remember exactly which coaches were ok'd, but I do remember for sure that the OLine coach was one of them. Denver has run a zone blocking scheme very successfully and has turned many OLinemen into great players, so hopefully (assuming Kubiak comes here) he will at least bring this coach with and he will help turn our OLine into something special, and he'll probably realize how bad some of our OLinemen are and how poorly they were coached thusfar, and maybe encourage the Texans to trade down and pick up some better OLinemen high in the draft and/or emphasize the need in free agency and bring in LeCharles Bentley.

MorKnolle said:
Another thing about Kubiak coming here, I've heard Shanahan has cleared him to bring in some of the other assistant coaches from Denver to accompany him to Houston. I think I saw it on an article on ESPN.com and I don't remember exactly which coaches were ok'd, but I do remember for sure that the OLine coach was one of them. Denver has run a zone blocking scheme very successfully and has turned many OLinemen into great players, so hopefully (assuming Kubiak comes here) he will at least bring this coach with and he will help turn our OLine into something special, and he'll probably realize how bad some of our OLinemen are and how poorly they were coached thusfar, and maybe encourage the Texans to trade down and pick up some better OLinemen high in the draft and/or emphasize the need in free agency and bring in LeCharles Bentley.

You're making me drool all over the keyboard! :drool:

Kaiser Toro said:
Gary knows whats best for Gary and if that is telling Mr. McNair/Cass what they want to hear about Carr, then he will do it. I have never seen so many people look the other way on such a fruitless pick.

If Gary is doing this for Gary, then he must believe in Carr. I don't think he would say this just to get the job. The QB position is too important and his success as HC depends on it. BTW, I don't think McNair is looking for a "yes man".

Zephyr said:
If Gary is doing this for Gary, then he must believe in Carr. I don't think he would say this just to get the job. The QB position is too important and his success as HC depends on it. BTW, I don't think McNair is looking for a "yes man".

If Gary is doing this for Gary, why wouldn't he have done this the first time he interviewed? I am tired of hearing Kubiak is just saying what McNair wants to hear.

If Gary Kubiak says Carr is going to be good - then I will trust his judgement. If Kubiak thinks he can take this team to the playoffs and/or beyond with Carr instead of Young - then so be it. I may not be thrilled with the idea of Young becoming a Titan - but Kubiak knows a whole bunch more than I do (I couldn't necessarily say that about Capers). I think if Kubiak gets the job, he is going to move heaven and earth to be successful here - he certainly doesn't want to fail. That being said, why would he pick Carr over Young if he didn't think he could win with Carr? Makes no sense.

Buffi2 said:
If Gary Kubiak says Carr is going to be good - then I will trust his judgement.
Kubiak/Reeves thought Tommy Maddux was a franchise QB too...that didn't work out so well, so don't just blindly trust that since these guys coached Elway that they had anything to do with Elway being great.

Vinny said:
Kubiak/Reeves thought Tommy Maddux was a franchise QB too...that didn't work out so well, so don't just blindly trust that since these guys coached Elway that they had anything to do with Elway being great.

I'm pretty sure that you could pick any former coach out of the Hall of Fame and find some bad decisions .... Lombardi? Landry? Noll? Walsh? all of them had some .... however, it's self-serving for anyone of this board to think that they're more qualified to evaluate football talent than Dan Reeves ....

chuckm said:
I'm pretty sure that you could pick any former coach out of the Hall of Fame and find some bad decisions .... Lombardi? Landry? Noll? Walsh? all of them had some .... however, it's self-serving for anyone of this board to think that they're more qualified to evaluate football talent than Dan Reeves ....

agreed!!

The Dream said:
saying Kubiak had anything to do with the greatness of Young is like saying Phil Jackson had to do with the greatness of MJ.....great players make great coaches.

Now we need to define great players, and great coaches. Larry Brown is a great coach, and Allan Iverson is a great player, but together, they didn't get too far. If Larry Brown could've got the kid to practice, and built a team to work around him, then we truly would've seen a Great Coach, and a Great Player.

Larry Brown got them to the Finals. Larry Brown just left after getting tired with the team like he does with every team after a few years.

I'm hoping for a Popovich-type coach, somebody who can work with great players, but can really improve a bench. Oh, wait - we're talking football...

The metaphors work, though.

With still about two and a half months before the draft, I think it will be Kubiak and Bush. We'll see what happens when the Texans bring in the new coach.

I keep seeing all these comparisons between DC and VY and honestly they are
Nice comparisons - but hardly fair ones. Perhaps if you flipped the two guys and put Young with the Texans O-line, players and coaches, then you might see a different Vince Young. You might see how he could struggle just like any other good QB would do put into a bad situation and expected to produce results. For those who keep beating the stats drum maybe you should go back and compare numbers that can more closely be compared. How about comparing Carr's senior year and body of work at Fresno versus Young at UT.

Honestly - Every QB is going to make some mistakes - but is he talented enough to overcome them? Is there enough talent around the QB to succeed or is a lack of talent dragging him down and cutting his feet out from under him? Time will tell obviously - IMO Kubiak has shown to be a good person in developing QB's of nominal up to exceptional skill levels and think he would provide a great coach and mentor to a young, talented but battered QB like Carr. If Kubiak is picked I predict he will put together a team to support Carr to be the good passing QB he has shown to be when given time to produce.

As for Young - I keep hearing Michael Vick comparisons to Young - but honestly Vick IMO hasnt exactly lit up the NFL either. He's got some wins from his physical skills to be sure, but overall he's shown to be inconsistent and an average cerebral QB with good physical skills, but not a very accurate passer. Honestly I dont know that Vince Young will be doing much different than Vick in the NFL from what ive seen of him thuis far in college. But if I had to guess I would say they are pretty close comparisons. Young's got the skills - now its up to him to take it to the next level - He could be special or he could be another Ryan Leaf - Let's see how he looks at the senior bowl and combine.

My Team 2 cents - I would take Kubiak as our coach

Vinny said:
That had to do with Terrell Davis than it did Kubiak/Reeves or Shanahan. Make no mistake about it, it's a team game and Carr isn't going to do it alone. Niether is V. Young. You take away a 1st round pick for the offense or take away some of the potential picks you would have gotten from a trade down and Carr is set up to fail.

NFLforher said:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3571013.html

Kubiak has become known as an expert mentor for quarterbacks and sees potential in Houston's David Carr.

"He's got tremendous ability, and we all know he's a great kid," Kubiak said. "He'd be a joy to work with, and he's got some weapons around him to make him better. Through a lot of hard work, there's another level there for him to reach."
QUOTE]

What else is he supposed to say...?

gordhead said:
Hip Hop and the rest of the Young Lovers:

1) Keep in mind, USC gave up 42 against Fresno State and Fresno State had 5 turnovers in the second half.

2) VY had a great game against a sorry defense.

3)VY is a project. If he runs, he will get killed..... he same as Vick. Throwing at UT is not throwing in the NFL.

4)Texans should focus on getting a quality o-line. It is amazing what happens to the throwing game when the running game is better.

-So Fresno State's offense is better than UT's ???

-VY had a great game against most including ohio state

-VY is 6'5'' 230lbs. How is that like Vick ??? Vick used to take shots in college, When have you seen VY Get hit?? And nothing in college is like the NFL so what are you saying

-Just like VY isn's a sure thing neither is your "quality o-line", in my opinion neither of the top tackles in the draft have dramatically set their selves apart from the others, so in my opinion we can get your "quality" o-line later...And if Im not mistaken our running game wasn't the main problem this season...

Vinny said:

From everything I can find Kubiak never coached Maddox so I don't understand why this has come up. He was a backup QB for the Broncos from 1983-1991, then he went to coach QB's at A&M from 1992-93. Following that he joined the 49ers staff. He didn't come back to the Broncos until 1995. Tommy Maddox was gone two years before Kubiak returned to the Broncos organization.

In light of what happened to Maddox later in his career with Pittsburgh I'd say that Reeves did see something in Tommy Maddox that wasn't just his imagination. When you consider the relative performances given by Young, Elway, Brian Greise and Jake Plummer I think that Tommy Maddox might have fared better if Kubiak had been there while he was a Bronco.

Back