Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak's stubbornness with the running game

Vinny

shiny happy fan
It was a zone coverage. The Safety wasn't anywhere near his coverage zone. Pickings daisies towards the far sideline from what it looked like.

Our safeties suck, our OLBs suck, our Oline sucks, our RBs suck, our Coordinators suck and our overpaid Dline sucks.

We will be picking top 10 again.:gun:
he getting looked off by Rivers as the Chargers did something totally nuts (sarcasm)...they sent two guys deep. With one safety deep it's just physically impossible to cover both sides of the field. It was just more crap scheme.

PapaL

Loose Screw
It's amazing how we go from rosey colored shades to Stevie Wonder shades. No point in trying to help people see the light.

The Saftey enjoying the skyline when he should be covering someone is not a coaching issue - it's a player issue.

I am by no means letting the coaching staff off the hook - lay blame where it should be, across the board.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
It's amazing how we go from rosey colored shades to Stevie Wonder shades. No point in trying to help people see the light.

The Saftey enjoying the skyline when he should be covering someone is not a coaching issue - it's a player issue.

I am by no means letting the coaching staff off the hook - lay blame where it should be, across the board.
sorry, but it's impossible for the deep S to cover two players at once. We had 8 in the box all day and drew up some of the worst coverage schemes against an elite player like Gates as I've ever seen. They totally sold out to take away LT but they forgot they aren't built like us....only one threat.

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
sorry, but it's impossible for the deep S to cover two players at once. We had 8 in the box all day and drew up some of the worst coverage schemes against an elite player like Gates as I've ever seen. They totally sold out to take away LT but they forgot they aren't built like us....only one threat.
Exactly, Brown was essentially a 4th LB the whole day and they must have thought that the object of the game was to hold LT under 100 yards and NOT to win a football game. Hutchins is not a good safety but there isnt a safety in the league that would enjoy success playing by himself in the deep secondary.

dickieb

Waterboy
Richard Smith must go. We could go hire Bruce Matthews as an OL Coach and bring in the best DC that money can buy.
I don't know about Bruce Matthews as a coach but... How about getting him out of retirement as a player? He would sure be better than anything we have on the OL now, I don't care how old he is.:)

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
I don't know about Bruce Matthews as a coach but... How about getting him out of retirement as a player? He would sure be better than anything we have on the OL now, I don't care how old he is.:)
your probably right. he still looked pretty fit when he accepted the yellow HOF jacket in September. :laugh:

I do think he would be a good candidate though because his best friend is the OL Coach of the Titans (former Oiler great Mike Munchak) and he has probably learned a lot playing under, playing with, and coaching under Munchak. Matthews retired a Titan but he made the HOF playing as a Houston Oiler. He would at least demand 100% effort and preparation based on the respect that he has from everyone. He would also have a lot of experience in the Division and what teams tendencies are in relation to blitzes and team packages...including the Titans. Call me nostalgic, I guess.

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame

Papa, i totally agree with where you are coming from but I just feel that Kubiak has had a window to show progress and he hasn't to this point. do we re-sign him? make him lame duck next year?

At the end of the day, you can't just fire your players due to salary cap implications. what you can do is bring coaches in to get more out of your current players and improve the environments and schemes they run.

Let me put it this way, if the Texans go 6-10, I think Kubiak should be gone. If they get to 7-9 or .500, you give him a one year extension so he isnt a lame duck coach in 2008 but he has to hire a new Defensive Coordinator. If they somehow manage a winning record, he can do what he wants as he will have already started to show improvement over the course of the remaining 2007 season.

Cowher is out there. Reid may be out there. Schotty is out there. Gruden may be out there. All guys would be major improvements when you look at the potential assistants and coordinators they would bring with them. We just need a coach who can inspire the team and have them ready to play at kickoff. Kubiak has failed miserably in that elementary job for any head coach...and he has failed in that job consistently over the course of his brief coaching career.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Papa, i totally agree with where you are coming from but I just feel that Kubiak has had a window to show progress and he hasn't to this point. do we re-sign him? make him lame duck next year?

At the end of the day, you can't just fire your players due to salary cap implications. what you can do is bring coaches in to get more out of your current players and improve the environments and schemes they run.

Let me put it this way, if the Texans go 6-10, I think Kubiak should be gone. If they get to 7-9 or .500, you give him a one year extension so he isnt a lame duck coach in 2008 but he has to hire a new Defensive Coordinator. If they somehow manage a winning record, he can do what he wants as he will have already started to show improvement over the course of the remaining 2007 season.

Cowher is out there. Reid may be out there. Schotty is out there. Gruden may be out there. All guys would be major improvements when you look at the potential assistants and coordinators they would bring with them. We just need a coach who can inspire the team and have them ready to play at kickoff. Kubiak has failed miserably in that elementary job for any head coach...and he has failed in that job consistently over the course of his brief coaching career.
In all honesty I don't see Gary Kubiak going any where this year nor next year. I'm not sure how long of a contract he signed in Jan '06 but he will be here for 5 years and probably one extention year afterwards. All the coaches you listed have their own knocks as well. (Cowher - 10 years to win his SB, Reid is burned out , Schotty - well no comment needed there, and Gruden singlehandedly ruined a good TB team.)

In other words; it's easy to be the arm chair QB and/or Coach - much harder when it's your name on the line. We can't expect miracles after 2 years. Should our DC be gone? I would say yes. But we shouldn't burn the whole barn down because we a rusty door and vermin problem. /2 Cents