Kubiaks staff

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jacquescas, Jan 16, 2006.

1. jacquescas

jacquescas Hall of Fame

any news on who the offensive and defensive coordinators will be? special teams coach?

2. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

LINK

Gary Kubiak will get off to a blazing start as Texans coach if he is able to hire Broncos offensive line coach Rick Dennison as his offensive coordinator/offensive line coach and Buccaneers defensive line coach Rod Marinelli as his defensive coordinator.

Kubiak and Dennison are close friends, but like all Denver assistants, Dennison is under contract. There is no reason for coach Mike Shanahan to let him out of his contract unless he just wants to be a good guy and allow Dennison to leave for a promotion.

Marinelli has been with the Bucs since 1996 — the same season Tony Dungy was hired as head coach and Monte Kiffin as defensive coordinator. Marinelli, who interviewed for the Lions' head-coaching job and will interview with the Raiders, is regarded as the premier defensive line coach in the NFL.

3. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

I think Dennison is likely to come unless he is offered the OC job in Denver because of Kubiak's depature.

I think we could get the guy from the Bucs as Russ Grimm is likely to get the job in Detroit. I am not sure about Oakland though.

4. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

Russ Grimm is currently the Steelers OL coach, so I seriously doubt he'd come here as our DC...The guy I'm hoping for is Jerry Gray, if he is no longer under contract with the Bills...

5. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

I know. I was stating that Russ Grimm is likely to offered the HC job for Detroit so Marinelli will not get this job and thus could be available. I think Marinelli could be a legit candidate in Oakland considering Al Davis likes young coaches, but ESPN has reported that Al Saunders is the leading candidate for the Raiders job.

6. Bayern

Bayern Veteran

Guys... we don't need coaches if we draft Vince Young. He invented the game!

7. SnakeOilTanker

SnakeOilTanker Veteran

I like marnelli pretty well, but I think id rather see Gray, or Jim Bates if trys to leave Green Bay. He was pretty upset he didnt get there HC job.

8. feebleminded

feebleminded .

I think that this is the 2nd most important hiring decision to be made outside of the HC. If this team is going to start becoming a winning franchise over the next several seasons and be in serious playoff contention, it is going to have to start with a dramatic improvement on the defensive side of the ball. We need to have someone be able to come in and make an assessment of the personnel and develop a defensive system that incorporates the talents of the players on the roster, versus pounding square pegs into round holes. Whoever it is, it will be a glorius day to have Vic Fangio's successor hired. :redtowel:

I know lots of people are excited about taking a RB (not to be named) or a QB (not to be named) as the way to go to get this team winning, but running a better D is going to be the real key to the path to respectability and contention, especially playing in the AFC South.

9. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

What about Mike Mularky as our Defensive Cordinator. He just resigned as Bills HC and I've heard nothing on him lately.

10. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

Raiders | Team interviews Marinelli
    Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:37:26 -0800

The Associated Press reports the Oakland Raiders interviewed Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive line coach Rod Marinelli Monday, Jan. 16. He was the third candidate to interview for the Raiders' head coaching vacancy.
    www.kffl.com

also mort was reporting that the lions are interested in marinelli as well and he is one of their top canidates. looks like kubes might need to look elsewhere

11. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

He has been an Offensive Coordinator in the past, not a Defense Coordinator. Is there something you know about him?

12. HoustonFan

HoustonFan Hall of Fame

Man. I happy for the Broncos and Kubiak right now advancing and all, but the assistant pool is shrinking.

I'd like for the Steelers to win Sunday, but I wouldn't be too mad if Danver went to the Superbowl.

13. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I had heard that Shanahan ok'd Kubiak to bring a few of the coaches with, and Dennison was one of them. I don't remember the others exactly, but I want to say that their WR and RB coaches were among them.

14. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

well the longer it takes for kubes to be officially hired, the longer it will take for him to bring in a defensive coordinator. im sure they will be running thin on guys by the time denver looses.

i still wouldnt be totally against capers as our DC. dont hate!

15. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Honestly, I was just thinking the exact same thing...

16. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

interesting...and i was expecting a lot of backlash and hate mail

17. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Well, no hate mail but I don't know how much leadership he could exert over the defense after the poor season and his subsequent firing.

18. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I just dont think Capers would come be the DC.. that would just be...ackward. I mean.. he was running the whole show last season.. now he has to defer to our new HC.

Kinda like getting fired from your managerial position and then rehired as an assistant to the new manager. that has to hurt the pride.

19. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I can definitely see Capers getting a DC job somewhere this year but I agree it would be really weird for them to hire him back here right after firing him.

20. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

well it seems everyone on the board claims the same thing. great coordinator, horrible head coach. i dont think anyone questions his knowledge or leadership.

it might be awkward, but look at kippy who was fired, then had an interview for the HC position. i know its not a direct comparison, but it might be a humbling experince for him to come in and take charge of the defense he helped build. and no doubt he will be better than fangio.

IF and a doubtful IF, capers was offered - im sure he would consider the opportunity.