Kubiak's future

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by m5kwatts, Jul 3, 2009.

1. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I've been wondering this all offseason and I'm sure its been discussed in a thread somewhere so here's my question:

What has to happen in order for Kubiak to get an extension?

Some of you may already want Kubiak replaced by Cowher, some of you may think he deserves an extension as of right now, most of us are probably somewhere in between.

What I THINK is going to happen is McNair will wait until the season is over to decide. Getting to the playoffs gets an automatic extension...but this is where it gets interesting

What if we miss the playoffs win 9 games and have a great year doing it? What if we win 9 games and fight injuries all year?

Regardless, I think another 8-8 season however it happens will be the end for Kubiak unfortunately.

Personally I really like the guy and hope we have a great season and he gets that extension and hangs around for 10-15 years and we win some superbowls and make the playoffs every year but thats obviously a dream.

2. Ckw

Ckw Guest

If we only win 9 games, I think he is gone. If we win 10 but don't make the playoffs, he probably stays. If we make the playoffs, he stays.

3. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Its up to Frank Bush. Kubiak put his faith in him and the extension goes through the defense imo...

If Mcnair extends him after another 8-8 season no matter how we "look" getting to .500 then I will lose a lot of faith in Mcnair and will no longer refer to the extending of Carr as "just an aberration."

4. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

The boss would've already extended him if he was that dumb.... I think its going to be interesting though if we start hot like 5-0 and look great and are the talk of the league...it'll be tough fighting the temptation to extend him mid-season...not very many coaches coach out their entire first contract to the end and return to that team with an extension the next season although it appears that McNair will go that route

5. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Probably if they win he stays.

If they don't he doesn't.

Barring injuries of course.

6. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

My guess is if we win more 7 or more games, he stays. If we have a major regression and go 6-10 or worse, he might be fired. Only way he definitely gets fired, knowing McNair, is if we completely tank and end up 4-12 or something awful like that

7. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Kubes is on the hot seat. :stirpot:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  8. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

What if they win 8 BUT have a ton of injuries to key players? I know BITE MY TONGUE but what if that happens?

What then?

9. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Exactly. If there is a reason (injuries, whatever) that we go 8-8 again, then I think he stays. If we go 8-8 again because of nothing in particular, and most players are still intact at the end of the season, I still think he might get one more year.

My own feelings are I like Kubiak and hope he succeeds. I hope he stays here for a long time. I still believe Kubiak will take us to the promised land.

10. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

He's certainly not the best but he's not bad.

And I do think the players respond to him....he seems like a real smart guy...good community guy...

He just needs to get over that hump. He can't go out and play the game...needs to work on his game/clock management....perhaps as the team excels he will as well.

11. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

This is the tricky part though, his contract is up and a one year extension can't happen. #1 Kubiak rightfully so would want more stability and comfort with a multi-year extension #2 Its a tough sell to fans for the 3rd year in a row that 8-8 every year means were getting better

If Kubiak gets an extension I think its going to be the 3-5 year variety and a big time endorsement from the front office, and this is the only way it can go....

12. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I didn't know his contract was up. Yikes. Go Kubes, go! Get us into the playoffs! :texflag:

13. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Barring injuries of course.

14. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

If the offense continues to perform and the defense continues to stink on ice, I think Bob will extend Kubiak, but fire Bush and strip control of who is hired to replace him as DC from Gary.

15. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I think the Texans would really have to regress for Kubiak to lose his job.
    Fisher had 3 8-8 seasons with the Titans and then followed two 13-3 seasons, including a Super Bowl apperance. As long as the Texans continue to show progress Kubiak will continue to run the team. You do not fire a quality leader until he cannot continue to improve.

If the Texans lose because of injuries or lack of poersonnel, Kubiak is safe.

If he loses the locker room, or continues bone-headed play calling he will be fired.

Bob McNair is a businessman and knows that you cannot manage like AL DAVIS and ever succeed.

Kubiak is here for awhile.
    TEXANS TURN IS NOW!

The Pencil Neck likes this.
  16. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I wonder IF Kubiak got tossed if he'd be in line for another head coaching job anywhere else?

Asking you guys..is he thought of highly around the league or just another coach? I don't watch all the ESPN's and NFLN like so many do here...

17. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

How could the Texans win 9 games, miss the playoffs, and still have what would be considered a "great year"?

The Texans' head coach is under contract through the 2010 season.

He chose the personnel on this team. Other than AJ, Pitts, Dunta, and Kris Brown. How could he still get a pass because of that shortcoming?

Anyway, I doubt anyone will provide insight on this topic that wasn't already covered here.

18. GNTLEWOLF

GNTLEWOLF All Pro

Thanks Lucky, I was wondering when this was going to be refererred back to that thread.

19. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

I think it comes down to a couple simple factors:

1. Tangible improvement on D.
    2. A winning record.

Contributing factors:

3. Winning the games we're supposed to win.
    4. Coming into road games prepared and confident.

Any major injury or two is could derail the team but give Kubes a mulligan for a poor record.

20. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

-If our offense puts up big numbers and were scoring 27-30 points a game like were very well capable of doing

-If the AFC is really really competitive and other 9 or 10 win teams miss the playoffs too

-If we're so rattled with injuries and I mean big ones to key guys and we still manage to win 9