Kubiak

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Jack Bauer, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

I haven't seen this posted, so I apologize if it has. I know this is the foregone conclusion, but: I was watching channel 2 news last night and Randy said the Kubiak hire was a done deal and that Kubiak has already started assembling his coaching staff. Justice's article this morning basically assumes it is Kubiak. Has anyone seen this elsewhere?

Randy McIlvoy's Blog

2. 5genTexan

5genTexan Rookie

All the radio stations are saying, "Kubiak is the guy....can't announce officially until Denver's run is over."
    :fans:

Jack Bauer likes this.
  3. U4ikrob

U4ikrob Guitar Junky

4. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Kubiak was unofficially offered the job on the day of his interview. Jerry Gray is likely to be DC. The only debate left is who to pick in the draft.

Although I am a bit concerned with the Greg Davis as QB coach rumor going around. My source close to the organization would not comment on this or the draft situation.

5. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

So what if the Broncs go all the way?
    Will that hurt the Texans as far as 'getting a head start' for next year if Kubiak can't start until Feb. sometime?

6. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

The short answer is "It could". I'm not sure what the rules are about a team talking with the prospective HC to find out who he would like to hire as assistants and then going to interview those guys and have them lined up pending the new HCs approval when he gets on board. If we DON'T talk to the prospective assistants then they will probably drift away. However, if Gary KNOWS he will be the guy when the shooting is over, he might be talking to some of the guys to let them know to stay tuned. Just not sure what the rules are for any of this though.

7. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Kubiak already has a basic skeleton of assistants he will hire, and there has been contact. He will take several coaches from the Broncos, possibly o-line coach from Cleveland as OC, and Jerry Gray is likely to be DC/Assistant HC.

8. cap1

cap1 All Pro

If Kubiak is the guy I hope he already knows who his assistants will be. I think as long as Kubiak talks to them about being assistants it will be fine.

9. vtech9

vtech9 Hall of Fame

If Kubiak is the guy, why are the Texans asking permission to interview Russ Grim, O-Line coach for the Steelers, for the head coaching job. If it is a foregone conclusion, why interview another guy you are going to have wait for the playoffs to end before being able to interview?

10. LCOOL

LCOOL Rookie

How much say so will Kubiak have in the draft? Are the Texans locked on Bush?

11. BREAZE

BREAZE Veteran

Hopefully that's sooner than later...

12. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Number 1, they want to interview other guys to get an impression of them so the next time they need a HC they will already have an impression, as happened with Kubiak, They may be thinking of them for other coaching positions so they get a feel for them there (see Jerry Gray), they can also mine them for knowledge and opinions on the team, as it's important to get a broad range of opinion. Why limit yourself?

Jack Bauer likes this.
  13. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Do we want Kubiak after this Saturday? Or would we be happier with him if he went deep into the playoffs and possibly won the Super Bowl? I'm torn.

14. BREAZE

BREAZE Veteran

Nah, we need a hungry Kubiak...;)

15. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

I thought about that. In a way, I would like to see the team get to the Super Bowl. If the Broncos lose, however, it will be because of their defense. If this is how it works out, I am okay with it.

16. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

Ponder this.
    Broncs go to AFC Champioship and lose, then the coaching staff gets to go to Hawaii for the Pro-Bowl. Does the Texans have any pull to say he cannot go cuz he needs to get here and get started, or do they have to wait until thats over. If it were my team and Kubiak is my guy, I would say go and enjoy it.

17. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

If he's our guy, then I'm rooting for him to win. Bring that shiny new Championship ring to the locker room next year and show this franchise what it's all about.

Kubiak will be hungry, because he knows he's got to prove himself as a HC. That's a whole new level.

18. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

B/c they are asking each candidate to evaluate our personnel and possible draft plans. McNair wants as many outside opinions as he can get, considering is lack of confidence in Casserly.

19. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

Why hasn't Kubiak gotten a job as a head coach before now? Could it be because he's an underwhelming interview. The only guy who interviews him is McNair. And even he passed him over last time.

The head coach is the most important decision this offseason. The candidates I've heard on TV (especially the guy from San Diego) are underwhelming. Let's pick a coach that'll last for 10 years, how bout it?

20. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

You're completely inaccurate in your statements. I've pointed out that inaccuracy in previous posts, so if you want details, just click on my post history. However, just off the top of my head, Kubiak has declined job offers and/or interviews from the Patriots, Saints, Univ. of Colorado, and Browns. The only job he's been turned down for was the Texans.