Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak won't be at the Combine

Dude, knock it off - you'll put McClain out of a job.

This just in...

2/25/10 - Texans looking to draft a couple players on both sides of the ball. D-line, O-line, LB, RB, CB, S, WR are all on their priority list sources tell me. Also, Rick Smith would like the players that got injured to get healthy.

--John McLain, Houston Chronicle

This just in...

2/25/10 - Texans looking to draft a couple players on both sides of the ball. D-line, O-line, LB, RB, CB, S, WR are all on their priority list sources tell me. Also, Rick Smith would like the players that got injured to get healthy.

--John McLain, Houston Chronicle

In all seriousness - 610 kept reporting something the other day (every sports flash - I don't remember what) - "610 has learned that in John McClain's opinion the Texans...."

Seriously? How about at least 'sources tell John McClain' or something? You're now reporting his opinion?!?!?

HOU-TEX won't be at the Combine either. He's decided to go fishing with his Son as long as the weather holds up.

HOU-TEX won't be at the Combine either. He's decided to go fishing with his Son as long as the weather holds up.

2/25/10 - John McClain reports in his opinion scouts may question Hou-Tex's dedication to football in light of his statement he will be fishing instead of attending the Combine.

It would be interesting to know why this type of non-emergency surgery could not have been scheduled to allow him to be present for an activity as important as the Combine. Yes, it is at least a good thing that Rick Smith will be present. But, for as much importance as Kubiak has repeatedly placed on "building this team with the Draft," I at very least find it strange. I wonder how many other HC's are not present.

Well Kubes has a scouting Staff. And all the whistles and bells of a NFL Video room. And I guess if you weren't suffering from this all you life it might be called a trivial thingy. Maybe, he just needs the rest. Since he's pretty much been shut out from the inside, if there was any smoke here, McClain would have already been all over this leading the march to have Kubes drummed out of town. No where, until your post, have I read that Kubiak isn't putting in his hours. But it's the off season feel free to start the frenzy.

:roast:

It would be interesting to know why this type of non-emergency surgery could not have been scheduled to allow him to be present for an activity as important as the Combine. Yes, it is at least a good thing that Rick Smith will be present. But, for as much importance as Kubiak has repeatedly placed on "building this team with the Draft," I at very least find it strange. I wonder how many other HC's are not present.

I think the HCs are always present. This was my first thought also. The season was done for the Texans on Jan 3. Why not get this done last month? Why not wait one week until after the combine? I know he'll still have an opportunity to see many players at their pro days, but a lot of those are scheduled on the same day so he can't be at all of them.

Well Kubes has a scouting Staff. And all the whistles and bells of a NFL Video room. And I guess if you weren't suffering from this all you life it might be called a trivial thingy. Maybe, he just needs the rest. Since he's pretty much been shut out from the inside, if there was any smoke here, McClain would have already been all over this leading the march to have Kubes drummed out of town. No where, until your post, have I read that Kubiak isn't putting in his hours. But it's the off season feel free to start the frenzy.

I've never thought he didn't put in the hours. I just felt it an odd time to have this procedure done.

Nowhere have I even implied that Kubiak has not "put in the hours." and by no means would I trivialize his condition. However, I have never seen this procedure performed as an "emergency." The timing therefore leaves me a little miffed. Certainly, the sky is not falling because of this decision, but it sure seems curiously cloudy.

Nowhere have I even implied that Kubiak has not "put in the hours." and by no means would I trivialize his condition. However, I have never seen this procedure performed as an "emergency." The timing therefore leaves me a little miffed. Certainly, the sky is not falling because of this decision, but it sure seems curiously cloudy.

Only in the mind of a conspiracist....:hides:

Maybe he's making a statement... Or maybe it will interfere with vacation time. Will we ever truly know?

The recovery doesn't take that long does it?

Maybe he's making a statement... Or maybe it will interfere with vacation time. Will we ever truly know?

The recovery doesn't take that long does it?

Typically:
Light duty/telephone/ paperwork>>>>>>>within 1 week
Strenuous activities>>>>>>>>>within 3 weeks

Typically:
Light duty/telephone/ paperwork>>>>>>>within 1 week
Strenuous activities>>>>>>>>>within 3 weeks

I am guessing that because he is having a second portion in 6 weeks has as much to do with the timing of the first procedure. Probably not two dates six weeks apart that worked really well.

For the record, as much as I love to rag on Kubiak...

I don't care if he's not at the combine. I think the combine is good for about two things: To see if the ones who are projected high are really THAT good when stripped down to basic drills and interviews, and if the hidden gems who were NOT touted very highly can hang when the pressure is on due to the stage they are on at the combine.

These are drills. Interviews. All of which is taped and reviewed by each team once the combine is over.

So Kubiak can watch this stuff at home.

If he's getting something done that improves his quality of life, then good for him. Personal health first. Family second. Job third. Hobby/enjoyment fourth. Of course, I'm sure wives and children of coaches will laugh and say that I have number 2 and number 3 mixed up.

Back