Kubiak: Tate has had an 'up and down' camp

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texecutioner, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Coach Gary Kubiak described rookie Ben Tate's training camp performance thus far as "up and down."
    "He’s every bit the talent that we drafted," Kubiak said. "He’s learning to be a pro. He has to catch up because he missed a lot time because he missed OTAs. He needs to know to get his motor going when he leaves out of the locker room and not 30 minutes into practice ... He could help this team if he continues to grow up." We still like Tate in Dynasty leagues, but it would be an upset if he works his way into a major role by the season opener.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/headlines.aspx?sport=NFL

Not the greatest of description of Tate for now, but it's still very early in camp. Can't wait to see how he runs in his first game.

2. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

What are Dynasty leagues?

3. Rey

Rey Guest

Sounds like Kubiak is preparing us for him not playing a major role..

Then at the end of the season he'll be one of those kids he should have played more

4. Rey

Rey Guest

Sounds like a leauge where you keep your players from year to year??

5. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I'm not sure what a Dynasty League is. Rotoworld is a Fantasy Football website, but they get their information extremely fast and up to date. I looked and it said that this came from HoustonTexans.com though and that was "their source."

Cjeremy635 likes this.
  6. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I'm not worried about it yet. Young running backs seem to often have some growing up to do and since we have people in front of him who are capable AND he's probably going to have to learn to pass protect better before he even gets a chance to get in there this isn't an issue.

7. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Dynasty leagues are also called keeper leagues. You can keep up to three players at the end of the season, and each player you keep costs you a draft spot three notches up from where you originally got him. That means if you pick up Tate in round 12 this year, you can keep him for next year and only lose a 9th round pick.

8. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

Now entering data in to the Kubiak 3000-Kubiak Translator:

"He’s learning to be a pro. He has to catch up because he missed a lot time because he missed OTAs. He needs to know to get his motor going when he leaves out of the locker room and not 30 minutes into practice ... He could help this team if he continues to grow up."

computing.....
    computing.....
    computing.....

Kubiak 3000: Tate will be cut before the regular season......

Just kidding, but this is pretty worrisome in Kubiak Speak if you ask me.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

If we had a Ron Dayne, or a Chris Brown on the Field stinking things up (and I'm a Ron Dayne fan) I would be worried. If Slaton and/or Foster are producing... I don't think it's a big deal.

If Tate isn't turning it on till 30 minutes into practice, then this is the kind of thing the coach should be saying. Especially when he's been praising Foster's approach all summer long.

10. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Hopefully we can emmulate Dallas and the Giants (from a few years ago) and use a trio of quality backs effectively.

11. No More 8-8's

No More 8-8's Veteran

Actually Dynasty Leagues are different than Keeper Leagues. Well slightly. Dynasty usually means that once you have the initial draft, you are basically stuck with those same players for years to come. You can only add players via freeagent pickups or rookies. Basically its the closest thing to being your own GM.

12. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Dynasty leagues are league where you keep most if not your entire roster from year to year. The goal is to be more like a 'real" team in make decisions for multiple years versus short term. Dyansty leagues generally hold drafts somewhere around the NFL draft with primary emphasis on the rookies.

Keeper leagues are a different animal, in that you only keep a set number of players and throw the rest back and hold a draft during the normal august drafting season.

13. Rey

Rey Guest

I was just having fun...

I don't think that his comments mean much at all, other than Tate is a young RB that needs to learn how to be consistent.

I really didn't take much from the quote that Kubes made besides the fact that Tate isn't tearing it up and will probably remain 3rd on the depth chart for the foreseeable future. Nothing that I didn't already know.

14. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

I stand corrected. Dynasty leagues sound interesting, but they also sound like they could take all the fun out of it. Plus, all it would take is one manager to go half-ass or quit to really sour the season. I would do an auction draft if I joined one.

Back on topic: I'm not too worried about Kubiak's criticism. He is exactly where a rookie RB should be at this point, and we're not in the same situation with RB's that we were last year.

15. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Most of them are year round in nature and for hardcore guys who follow the draft and off-season stuff looking for surprise guys. And yes one or two owners who don't pay attention can really hurt a league. I play in more than I am going to admit and commish a couple.

Guess we need to get back to Tate though.

16. THE NFL

THE NFL Veteran

So it appears the Texans used another high draft pick on yet another project player.

17. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Tate is my one problem with the Texans Draft, atleast the basic philosophy of the Draft which included using a 2nd round pick on a running back (and perhaps even a first round pick if Matthews had been on the Board).
    I wanted the Texans to use that #2 on an interior lineman which still has issues icluding the lack of really upper level talent even with the FA acquisition of FA C/G Smith.
    Regarding Tate in particular, he seems to be a redundant back with Foster as the entrenched starter ? That's a lot to spend for reserve a running back ?

18. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Really? You base that on what? A couple of early training camp comments? Not even a third of the way thru camp. Really?

19. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

got to be the best first post ever

20. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

Agreed. That was really spectacular.

:cow: