Kubiak still optimistic

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Bamaborn-Texasbred, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Bamaborn-Texasbred

Bamaborn-Texasbred All Pro

Listening to the coach right now. He still says Carr can take him to the promised land. Does he really believe it? Is it just window dressing? How many multiple fumble games can he take?

2. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

to me it sounds like kubiak is gonna really improve this o-line this off-season, and then if carr still can't do what we expect him to do he will be done

3. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Kubiak is going to play his cards close to his chest right now. If he plans on moving Carr, he wouldn't openly admit it now for a variety of reasons. He wouldn't want an open controversy in his locker room, and he wouldn't want to undermine his GM's ability to trade Carr in the off-season.

I wouldn't fret over too much that Kubiak says right now. Carr could very well be back next year, but I think it's a situation that could go either way at this point.

Napa Auto Parts and Stampede like this.
  4. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Christian

Sounds like 'sound' reasoning to me.

5. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

very true..

6. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

He's not going to say anythind different for a while now. I would imagine Carr and Sage and maybe a rookie QB will have a chance at the starting job next year. Then if neither step up, the rookie QB would be ready to take the reigns in '08 and Carr will be on his merry way.

7. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

He should be optimistic. He's a rookie HC. He has a core of 3 young guys on Defense that could be the start of a dominant "D" and has a couple of young weapons on offense too.

Besides, he gets paid to be enthusiastic about his optimism.... Next year it will be "produce time" and he will have to put his money where his mouth is.

8. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Carr will be back next year. Bank on it because the contract pretty much dictates that. However, a pick up of a Kid like Kolbe from UofH in the 3rd might be in the cards. No pressure to play him right away as a 3rd rounder. The kid seems to have some skills that could developed and then if the round brown orb hits the occillating object in 07 with Carr, he comes in to run the offense in 08.

9. phan1

phan1 All Pro

I really wish we knew what Kubiak was thinking. I really don't think he'll go right out and say Carr's job is in danger until he is seriously thinking of a long-term QB change. Kubiak obviously wants at least another year with Carr, and to be honest, I hope he's not putting too much blame on himself for Carr's dismal performance. That could really hold our team back from being a playoff team.

10. valleytexfan

valleytexfan Hall of Fame

With the line we have, I'd hate almost any QB back there...

11. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Christian

Funny! The vision of Jack Nicholson from 'One flew over the cuckoo's nest' popped into my head from this post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. NFLforher

NFLforher All Pro

Exactly. He's not stupid. Here's here to win, with or without the carr.

13. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

I really think Carr will be here next year. You have to understand the question that was posed to Kubiak. Can we win a Super Bowl with David Carr? Kubiak wasn't asked if Carr could be the superstar or leader of a SB team. My understanding of the question was more along the lines of, if this team has all the other pieces in place, can we win with Carr. To me, that's just asking if car can just be a ''bus driver'' and not lose us games. Dilfer did it, and you could argue that Roethlisberger did it. You don't have to be a great QB to be a SB QB, and I think that was the answer Bob McNair was looking for. Can Carr do that? I think so, it's not too much to ask.

14. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I agree, isolate the problem so that everyone is accountable. Significantly Upgrade the o-line & the D & if Carr is still doing what he's been doing.......Adios sir.

Too many people on this board get exciting football mixed up with winning football.

15. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

I agree totally, but want to add a little bit.

This year I'm called for a QB change. If we're still having this same problem at this time next year, I'll be call for more dramatic changes to be made. Coaching, ownership, whatever.

If we continue to be as incompetant as we are right now, you might as well rename us the Browns.

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I assure you we're nowhere near that good. ;)

Wharton likes this.
  17. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

I wonder if kubiak is willing to loose he's job over david carr:cowboy1:

18. Mattheus_Rex

Mattheus_Rex Veteran

LOL Seems like fumbles are a tradition in Houston.

http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/indiv/fumbles

19. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

790 had a snippet, I'm guessing from Kubiak's press conference, that said "this game (Titans) is a big game for David, all remaining 4 games are a big game for David".

790 also mentioned there was a closed door discussion with Kubiak and Carr.

Take that for what it's worth. Also, they had another point a caller made this morning that had an interesting point of view - that if Palmer was so bad with Carr here, then why is he succeeding with Romo in Dallas. The 790 guys mentioned it's the player that makes the coach, that players play. Also they questioned is Carr coachable? Why bother to untrain the bad habits when it's easy to regress back into them. Why not go find another that never had the bad habits to begin with?

I'm still in the camp of "Kubiak will do what's right for the team" so whatever comes of that. Funny thing is, quite a ways back Vinny was starting to see the shortcomings of Carr's QB style and quite a few posters back in the day disagreed. Seems times are changin'.

20. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I've said since before Palmer was even fired that he was a scapegoat. That being said (many times), Dallas has a better O-line and Palmer's play-calling was constantly stifled by Capers (and the O-line). I know Dallas has won more with Romo than the other guy, but they've always had a better O-line than us.