Kubiak stays, coordinators GO

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DerekLee1, Oct 28, 2007.

1. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

Kubiak doesn't need to go, but his coordinators definitely do. Richard Smith and Mike Sherman are awful. There is WAY too much talent on both sides of the ball to suck like this. It's unacceptable. Ahman Green was a HUGE mistake, as was Mario Williams. And I'm sure it was Smith and Sherman fighting to get those guys. Jacoby Jones, Demeco Ryans, Matt Schaub, Amobi Okoye - those guys were Kubiak's picks (along with Rick Smith). Those guys have been stellar.

Sherman's play calling is way too predictable. If Jones isn't lined up, it's a run. If he's on the field, it's a pass. With the talent the receivers have shown, WHY are we still trying to "establish the running game"? Convert this team to a pass-first offense like the Pats and Colts to move the linebackers off the line and open up holes for the running backs. WE DON'T HAVE THE TALENT THAT DENVER HAS HAD. WE CAN'T RUN THE BALL LIKE THEY DO!!!

Our defense is just pathetic. Five first-round picks on that team, and a sixth (Ryans) that is basically another (first pick in the second round). That's over HALF OF YOUR DEFENSE. This should be a top five defense that puts fear in opposing quarterbacks. Yet these awful blitz packages are ALWAYS picked up by the offense, usually for a huge gain. We blitz two guys and STILL have no pressure on the opposing QB. (Remember Kerry Collins to Roydell Williams for a loss after the greatest 4th quarter comeback in NFL history?)

I still think Kubiak is THE guy, but he and Smith need to ditch the "good ol' boys" and hire some young studs as their coordinators. What are Ray Childress, Mike Munchak, and Warren Moon up to these days?

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Most of this is on Kubiak...he hand picked his staff and he prepares the team. Childress is running a car dealership, Munchack is a well respected O-line coach for the Titans (a future head coach) and Moon is doing play by play.

3. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

It wouldn't break my heart any to see Richard Smith go. There is two much talent on the defense to be screwing up like this. Then again, a lack of decent defensive backs does limit what you can do.

4. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I agree. The positioning and timing of our players when we blitz is elementary. David Carr could recognize some of the things we try to do defensively before the snap.

5. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

Wait wait...what?

WAY too much talent? Where?

6. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

By the time Kubiak picked a defensive coordinator, all the good candidates were off the table. Mike Sherman was a Casserly pick, and another bad one. Kubiak has too much respect for him because he was a former head coach to override him, which is another reason he needs to go. What exactly did he do for Green Bay again anyway? They were contenders before and after his tenure there, and mediocre during. Hmm...mediocrity on a Sherman-coached team? Sound familiar? FIRE HIM.

And give me a 46 defense with this personnel set. Can we get Buddy Ryan out of retirement?

7. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

umm....potential talent? Yeah, I know, they aren't showing a lot right now.

8. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

You know I was thinking.

Anyone notice how the Bears have fallen off defensively this year? Is it coincidence that Ron RIvera, their LB coach is now in SD? I think Rivera would be a great D coordinator and I would love to bring him in.

9. TexansSeminole

How in the world do you propose we get this done???

10. Vinny

I don't think that is the case, but if it was, then Kubiak isn't the guy I'd want running this team. You have to have a VERY strong personality to run a team full of very strong personalities. Someone has to tell them how the cow ate the cabbage and it needs to be Kubiak.

11. Vinny

Rivera was the Bears defensive coordinator.

12. TexansSeminole

Kubiak should be mad during this press conference. I realize that coaches need to keep their cool, but he needs to show the team that the performance they have shown in the last 3 weeks is not going to be tolerated.

13. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

At least we know that Buddy would have the balls to punch Sherman for his screwups. Maybe even Kubiak.

14. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

Rivera would be a great pickup. Or Singletary and/or Buddy Ryan to run the 46 I mentioned earlier.

15. Vinny

Even guys who know and run that defense don't use 46 fronts much. You have to have elite talent or it's just too unsound. Williams in Washington is using more cover2 shell now and his defense has improved this year.

16. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

How did that work out for him today?

17. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

a) Absolutely not. Sherman was Kubiak's guy.

b) After Moulds, Flanagan, Salaam, Bedell, Black, Gado, Dayne, Weaver, and yes Mario, it is about time to lose the "it was Casserly's pick" excuse.

TEXANRED likes this.
  18. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

You don't need all-around elite talent. Speedy, intelligent middle linebacker? Check. Front four with pass rush ability? Check (although unsuccessful in these schemes). Secondary with speed to be able to blitz? Check. Two solid cover corners? Oh, wait...maybe we do have a problem.

19. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

You are correct. Think he would like to be a Def coordinator in Htown?

20. Vinny

Name one team that has stopped the Pats this year and you win the prize.

Show me one team in the NFL that uses 46 fronts for their base defense....you won't be able to because nobody uses these fronts except in a package or two here and there.