Kubiak simplifying the defensive plays.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf6151, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I saw on the news yesterday that Kubiak is going to be simplifying the defensive plays. He said that many of the players are just having to hard of a time understanding the defensive plays and felt that if he simplified the defensive plays that the players could understand it better and thus run the plays better. Today's practice was supposed to be lots of extra reps. on basic formations and assignments so that everyone would know their positions and responsibilities. :mcnugget: Maybe those Safeties have been lining up as DT's and forgot where their supposed to be thus the reason they're playing so poorly. Now I know that football players aren't generally considered to be very intelligent but how hard is it to understand X and O. The D-line and LB's chase down and kill the man with the ball. Secondary players run with the WR and prevent him from catching the ball. This ain't NASA, it ain't rocket science.

2. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But it is broke, so let's give it a shot. Can't do any worse. *cnocks on wood*

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

The kids will never graduate to the big boy playbook.

I am beginning to wonder if there is a big boy playbook.

4. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

So, college graduates can't understand a playbook. I could take this and run in several different directions with it, but I'm not. I'm just going to hope we have a defense on Sunday. If not, I'm going to be right back here bitchin' and moanin' some more.

5. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Thorn mate, that what beer is for.

Interesting that they're simplifying the playcalling, hopefully it means that they have identified the problem and are taking measures to correct it.

We'll see... :)

6. Dishman

Dishman Miss Ya Blue

Shouldn't Bush be the one making the decision and implementing the changes? Is this just "Kubiak simplifying the defense" on his own? I wonder if Bush suggested the simplification?

Either way, here is the coaching staff making adjustments, which I am glad to see. This is Kubiak preparing his team. If we look bad on D this Sunday he had better start sitting players who can't maintain their assignments. You're preparing these guys for Sunday, so it's on them now. No more of this Tracy McGrady "it's on me, it's my fault" BS.

7. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Does anyone remember when we "dumbed down" the Offense Playbook for Carr? That worked, didn't it?? Dumbing down a play book does not improve the basics......attack angles, tackling and wrapping which has been a continuous problem. In fact, it does not address "stupid" and "incapable" (coaches and players). This dumbed down scheme is what we have been told, year after year, has been what we have been using in our preseason games.............we were not going to open up and give away the playbook to the opponents..........just wait for the regular season..........you'll see.

Kubiak is an "offense genius." So that's why we're having him taking over the D in lieu of choosing a DC who can teach a scheme for the talent or the lack thereof present. Four years and we're essentially back to square one...........now, we again get to watch our D killed by steady dink and dunk offenses, picking us apart in soft coverage, soft pressure, soft play and, best of all.........same results. Hail to Kubiak, our next DC to create nothing from nothing.

Sorry, but that's my frustrated feelings about this whole mess.

8. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

lousy tv reporting IMO. they were going over basic formations so everyone understands their responsibilities...they're not dumbing down the playbook.

Houston sports reporters suck.

9. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Wasn't it advertised that one of the main things Bush was going to do as DC was simplify the defense before the regular season started?

10. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Yes, but Kubiak is introducing the Nano-playbook, so small it can fit on a Denny's Menu

11. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

"See the ball...Get the ball"

12. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Smith do this the end of last season in order to allow them to be more aggressive and not think so much?This seems like a theme.

Fox likes this.
  13. GP

GP Go Texans!

So they're doing some walk-throughs or something?

"OK, you guys up front on the line: When the ball is snapped, you have two jobs. Job 1 is to plug gaps and find the running back on a running play, maybe even get into the backfield for a tackle-for-loss. Job 2 is to get into the backfield on pass plays and hit the Quarterback."

"Hey Linebackers, you guys come over here. You own the middle. If you blitz, your job is to hit the Quarterback. On run plays, you have to wrap your guy up. You have to be mean to them."

"Now it's the secondary's turn. You fine gentlemen have an even simpler job. Stay with your man, make a play on the ball, and turn your head back upfield every now and then to locate the ball in the air. If you have the unpleasant task of trying to stop a ball carrier as he's breaking through our line and the linebackers' area, please remember all those years of football basics you learned while growing up and playing football."

"To everyone here: Tackling is not hard. You learned it in junior high, got better at it in high school, and you should have been really good at it in college. At least the film we have on you shows that you were. Maybe. Then again, we've got to factor Bobby into this equation. So....ya' know. Anyways, you guys have been great to allow us 5 minutes of time to review what your roles are as defensive football players in the NFL. Remember that on the way out, in the candy dish, you can only choose a lollipop or a Lightning McQueen sticker. Bob McNair's accountant is reporting that some of you guys are taking one each."
    This is getting more pathetic by the day.

14. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

This is great news, I'm so excited.

[​IMG]

15. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

That's what I was thinking.

16. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Another excuse..........another "don't give up on us, don't stop spending your money, we have something 'new' up our sleeves" carrot. Maybe we ought to replace the carrot where it really belongs.........and that's certainly not "up their sleeves.":barman:

17. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Smith didn't do it then, Kubiak did. The report was Kubiak and Bush didn't alter any of the schemes or take away play calling from Smith but they removed some of his calls as options.

18. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Thanks for clearing that up. I remember something but wasn't sure if he simplified or they took away his calls, etc.

19. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

* Sighs *

WHAT THE HELL'S GOING ON OUT THERE?
    [​IMG]

20. J. Sean Wonton

J. Sean Wonton Veteran

This is exactly what I thought of when I heard the news. It is interesting that we did the same but reverse with a defensive HC and now this with an offensive HC. At least when they dumbed down the playbook on offense I think it was after they had fired the OC and were using the OL coach as the replacement.

I can't emphasize enough how important it must be to get someone strong to offset your weakness. I don't know that Bush is weak in this area. Surely he isn't with all of the experience he brings, but the fact is that he's a friend and other candidates didn't appear to be interviewed. Plus, he was there as an assistant DC or whatever and should have some responsibility for the previously failed defense.