Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak: Schaub couldn’t audible out of “very, very poor play”

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
The QB needs to have some semblance of intelligence. Think Sanchez fails at that.
Agreed. But on the other hand, Mark Sanchez has shown what he can do with a strong run game and defense around him. The Jets reached two straight AFC Championship games with him starting at quarterback. It wasn't until the Jets started losing hall of fame caliber talent like LaDainian Tomlinson and Kris Jenkins, even Darrelle Revis (injured and traded), that we started to see Mark Sanchez's game fall apart. He no longer could hide his flaws behind one of the best run games and defenses in the league.

The 2013 Texans, as of now, have the 1st ranked defense and the 5th ranked offense in the entire NFL. Not to mention tons of talent on both sides of the ball, which includes a strong 1-2 punch in the run game with Arian Foster and Ben Tate.

I think we compare quite favorably to those New York Jets teams that reached two straight AFC Championship games. We may not have a total beast of a nose tackle like three-time All Pro Kris Jenkins, as Earl Mitchell is just an average nose tackle at best. But J.J. Watt, arguably the best defensive lineman in the NFL since Bruce Smith, makes up for that.

Rex Ryan didn't have to do anything other than keep Mark Sanchez in check and limit his interceptions. Rex Ryan would have ran the ball and trusted his defense to win games when the situation warranted it. Which is what Kubiak should have done in that last game against the Seahawks. I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss, one in which we dominated all of the statistics, any day of the week.

If you put Mark Sanchez on the Texans and Matt Schaub on the Jets. One would thrive and likely reach the AFC Championship game and maybe even Super Bowl. The other one would get himself injured and likely benched by a rookie. This has nothing to do with audibles. But rather trusting your run game and defense to take you to the promise land.

Bulls on Parade

I don't think Schaub should have thrown the ball.... at least not like he threw it. He had a guy in his face & he panicked. Hard to see, but it looked like Andre was behind the defense. If he would have tossed it over Andre's head, he'd look like a hero now.

That said, the defender had no play what-so-ever on that ball without running through Owen Daniels.... again same thing happened against Baltimore.
Gary Kubiak regrets even calling a pass play in the first place. You can tell by his interviews he called the wrong play and if he had it over to do again he'd have called for a run. Hopefully that loss against Seattle doesn't come back to bite us at the end of the year. If we end up coming one game short of homefield advantage, or even winning the AFC South. That one game could even be the difference in us making the playoffs or missing the playoffs as a potential wild-card team. A lot of good teams in the AFC right now.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Gary Kubiak regrets even calling a pass play in the first place. You can tell by his interviews he called the wrong play and if he had it over to do again he'd have called for a run. Hopefully that loss against Seattle doesn't come back to bite us at the end of the year. If we end up coming one game short of homefield advantage, or even winning the AFC South. That one game could even be the difference in us making the playoffs or missing the playoffs as a potential wild-card team. A lot of good teams in the AFC right now.
Schaub can, and should have checked into a run strong side left on that play.
It's a built-in mechanism in the WCO.

Both the run and the pass were available on that play.
The original call was a bootleg, but Schaub had the authority to check into a run play out of that formation.

That's what it means by "play design".
It was designed to be a bootleg to the right with the option for Schaub to check into a run play; in this case, a run strong side to the left should have the best chance to succeed where the Texans had the number in blocking, with the blitz coming from the opposite side.

If Schaub choose to stay with the pass call; it's on him to make the best of the situation.
A run fake like this is designed to fool the weak side LB.
If he advances (which he did), he would leave a void behind him as Graham cut across the field from the other side; that's where Schaub had the best chance throwing the ball. It should be automatic as the QB turns around and saw that the weak side backer bought the run fake.

Failing that, Schaub should realize that a throw to the inside is optimum for OD since Sherman played to the outside all the way.

Schaub committed a triple error there; he did everything wrong, including just throw the ball away or take a sack.

It was stupidity beyond all stupidities; it's not acceptable for a ten-yr veteran.

Exascor

Veteran
The 2013 Texans, as of now, have the 1st ranked defense and the 5th ranked offense in the entire NFL.
Just a small deal in regards to this - ranking high in either offense or defense by yards is not a sign of a great team. You would think that if a team could do the "impossible" of having the #1 ranked offense and #1 ranked defense they would be impossible to beat right?

2010 Chargers
#1 ranked offense & #1 ranked defense
Record: 9-7 (missed playoffs)

My only point of bring this up is that sometimes stats don't tell the whole story. If Schaub hadn't throw any interceptions this year, we might be 4-0 or 3-1. If the team didn't have a bunch of penalties in Baltimore we might have won. Offense and defense rankings (along with power rankings) are for teams with low expectations or that are looking for a silver lining. The Texans are at least in the AFC championship game or bust mode. The only stats that count are W-L and playoff seeding. Everything else is garbage.

Other than that I'm right there with you BoP. :woot2:

Rey

Man, I've been tough on Schaub as a player...but I hope he succeeds. I hope he wins the Super Bowl this season. Not for me as a fan...but for him. People are really being tough on him and getting personal. I don't like that.

I hope Schaub comes out and picks teams apart for the rest of this season and tells everyone to F off. One thing that separates him from Carr besides the obvious things is that the guy shows up, works and takes it.

I don't think he's all that great a qb, but I respect that. I'd tell him that to his face. Not a huge fan of some if the on field things you do, but much respect for being or seemingly being a stand up guy. That's like one of the traits I admire most. Show up work and take the good with the bad like a man.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Well said, Rey. Two things that are less than honorable in this whole thing, IMO. Making it personal against the man, and rooting for him to fail and team to lose for some wishful draft pick.

I was not happy with his performance, like the majority of Texans fans. I even said some stuff based on that perspective because there was still the lingering aggravation on Sunday and Monday...and probably Tuesday.

But now it's all about Sunday night and wanting him to succeed as our starting QB. Kubiak is not going to bench him. That is just delusional thinking without any sort of objectivity involved. So it's a given that he's our QB right now, so hope for the best and never give up hope as a fan.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Sage Rosenfels said yesterday that the lack of ability to audible is part and parcel of the west coast offense run by Kubiak. It's not just Schaub. Any QB Gary puts into this system is going to have the same limits. It's designed to be simple, and make the QB react quicker by not giving him as many things to read. You basically have a main option, and one check down option. That's it folks.

Anyone else starting to hate Kubiak and his west coast offense? I think at one time it was brilliant. That time was 1983.

We need a new direction, and Gary is too tied to his system imo.
We weren't out of time outs were we?

That's always an option.

Man in motion or not, we hadn't snapped the ball. IF Schaub saw the play coming once the guy went in motion and he saw this play would end badly; call time out.
How hard would that be?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Man, I've been tough on Schaub as a player...but I hope he succeeds. I hope he wins the Super Bowl this season. Not for me as a fan...but for him. People are really being tough on him and getting personal. I don't like that.

I hope Schaub comes out and picks teams apart for the rest of this season and tells everyone to F off. One thing that separates him from Carr besides the obvious things is that the guy shows up, works and takes it.

I don't think he's all that great a qb, but I respect that. I'd tell him that to his face. Not a huge fan of some if the on field things you do, but much respect for being or seemingly being a stand up guy. That's like one of the traits I admire most. Show up work and take the good with the bad like a man.
I'd love for him & the team to win it all .... You are right , he's worked hard and been accountable .... but that doesn't put him above criticism nor does it open him up as a target for personal attacks.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Agreed.
Criticize the play all you want. I've done that myself.
Burn the jersey if it makes you feel good about yourself.
But some of this hate stuff and I-wish-he'd-get-hurt-stuff is way over the line.
Rep your way.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
Some of you kill me, when we run the ball in the 4th and dont get it, people scream conservative, when we pass even though its a busted play the same people scream we should of ran it. I have no problem with the call by kubiak actually trying to be aggresive. Kubiak can take the blame all he wants but the fact is the pick 6 was on schaub, he had 3 more guys he could of thrown it to. Now that this happened expect the conservative kubiak in the 4th when winning by 3 that everyone used to compalin about again.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Agreed. But on the other hand, Mark Sanchez has shown what he can do with a strong run game and defense around him. The Jets reached two straight AFC Championship games with him starting at quarterback. It wasn't until the Jets started losing hall of fame caliber talent like LaDainian Tomlinson and Kris Jenkins, even Darrelle Revis (injured and traded), that we started to see Mark Sanchez's game fall apart. He no longer could hide his flaws behind one of the best run games and defenses in the league.
Which shoulder did he hurt? His throwing shoulder? I'd definitely be open to Sanchez, like you said, if he doesn't have to throw the ball 50 times a game (results of playing with a great defense & a great run game) he should be fine.

Losing that run game is what killed them. Shawn Green didn't pan out & after LTs flash of greatness, they had nowhere to go.

The only thing I don't like about it, is that there is only one QB in the entire league that my wife hates more than Schaub...... & his name rhymes with chanchez.

Bulls on Parade

Which shoulder did he hurt? His throwing shoulder? I'd definitely be open to Sanchez, like you said, if he doesn't have to throw the ball 50 times a game (results of playing with a great defense & a great run game) he should be fine.

Losing that run game is what killed them. Shawn Green didn't pan out & after LTs flash of greatness, they had nowhere to go.

The only thing I don't like about it, is that there is only one QB in the entire league that my wife hates more than Schaub...... & his name rhymes with chanchez.
Unfortunately, yes. Mark Sanchez opted for surgery to repair a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder just three days ago. He's going to need four to six months of recovery time. But he could be another experienced and somewhat young quarterback option this off-season among the likes of somebody like Josh Freeman.

We don't necessarily have to rely on some rookie drafted or even Yates or Keenum. No doubt we're going to see how Schaub can handle the adversity the rest of this season and hopefully playoffs. But this off-season I would expect a change if Schaub continues to struggle. Right now I'm on the fence regarding Schaub and I've been one of his biggest fans. He has to prove it on the field and hopefully he can. He still has time to win over the Houston fans.

EDIT: Just got home. So Josh Freeman is already a free agent?
Just saw on ESPN's ticker that Tampa Bay released him earlier today.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Gary Kubiak regrets even calling a pass play in the first place. You can tell by his interviews he called the wrong play and if he had it over to do again he'd have called for a run.
You can't trust any one thing Kubiak tells you. You've got to try to piece together everything he's ever said & decipher what he's telling you now.

He's always said Matt has the ability to check from a run to a pass, or a pass to a run. Now, when the whole world is against Matt Schaub he comes out & says Matt didn't have the ability to audible out of that play & that he called a bad play....

To me, it looks like he's just protecting his QB.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Please stop any talk of Sanchez. It's absolutely ridiculous.

On the other hand, Hoyer might be out for the rest of the season and maybe Cleveland would trade for Schaub!! 1st place in the AFC North and Weeden isn't getting it done. Freeman might be an option for them, but he seems like damaged goods.

Bulls on Parade

DocBar, a quarterback's perception can change very fast depending on the situation he's in. A lot of quarterbacks, especially one who's already been to two AFC Championship games, would have great success playing with the Houston Texans right now. A team loaded with numerous pro bowlers on both sides of the ball. The fact we're 2-2 right now is the only thing that should be deemed absolutely ridiculous.

I think Joe Flacco is an average quarterback fresh off a five-interception game but did he not play like Joe Montana and an elite quarterback in the past playoffs, on his way to the Super Bowl MVP? He did it with amazing talent around him. Guys the Ravens no longer have. I'm not just talking about future hall of famers like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, but Anquan Boldin for example, would catch any pass he threw up to him. Even passes that looked awfully bad (wobbly) and weren't perfectly thrown spirals. That one catch he made in the Super Bowl was amazing.

There is no reason why the Houston Texans can't win a Super Bowl or two in the next couple of years with their overall team talent. Rick Smith has done an amazing job. Quarterback play is the one weakness we continue to talk about which is a shame. If Schaub can somehow get lucky like Flacco did last year then maybe we can win a Lombardi trophy with Schaub. It's just unlikely.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
DocBar, a quarterback's perception can change very fast depending on the situation he's in. A lot of quarterbacks, especially one who's already been to two AFC Championship games, would have great success playing with the Houston Texans right now. A team loaded with numerous pro bowlers on both sides of the ball. The fact we're 2-2 right now is the only thing that should be deemed absolutely ridiculous.

I think Joe Flacco is an average quarterback fresh off a five-interception game but did he not play like Joe Montana and an elite quarterback in the past playoffs, on his way to the Super Bowl MVP? He did it with amazing talent around him. Guys the Ravens no longer have. I'm not just talking about future hall of famers like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, but Anquan Boldin for example, would catch any pass he threw up to him. Even passes that looked awfully bad (wobbly) and weren't perfectly thrown spirals. That one catch he made in the Super Bowl was amazing.

There is no reason why the Houston Texans can't win a Super Bowl or two in the next couple of years with their overall team talent. Rick Smith has done an amazing job. Quarterback play is the one weakness we continue to talk about which is a shame. If Schaub can somehow get lucky like Flacco did last year then maybe we can win a Lombardi trophy with Schaub. It's just unlikely.
More like a fan's perception of a QB can change very fast, depending on the situation. Kubiak might as well bring Carr back as entertain any ideas of Sanchez. Right now, the Texans Nation would take anybody but Schaub. Some guys are even calling for Cousins. WTF??? The season is not over at 2-2. If, for some reason, Schaub is benched, Yates and Keenum have shown very good command of this offense along with quite a bit more athleticism and mobility. Why go for all these knee jerk reactions to get a QB that couldn't begin to decipher the playbook instead of looking at the guys that already know it? Hell, according to his agent, Brett Favre is ripped and could play tomorrow. I'd go that route before any Freeman/Sanchez/Cousins tripe.

Freaking Mark Sanchez. :smiliepalm:

Come On Breh

Waterboy

This is exactly what im talking about. This type of comment right here. This pretty much epitomizes the average mentality of a houston sports fan.

Be a nice guy, do enough to win, and we will baby and protect you no matter what your failures to win the big one.

This is how biggio and bagwell came off relatively unscathed despite their playoff choke jobs. This is how Kubiak and Schaub last this long.

This city is too soft. Fan wise and media wise.

If you people think burning jerseys and making some satirical pick six burger menu is "too tough" and "personal" then maybe you should just watch some golf because your sensibilities are too fragile for manly sports.

Can you imagine if this texan team with schaub and kubiak at the helm was in new york, LA, or philly? Can you imagine what the media and fans would do to them?

Looking back at what lebron james had to endure before winning a championship, its a freaking joke that anybody can feel sorry for what is going on with Schaub.

A freaking joke.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Schaub can, and should have checked into a run strong side left on that play.
It's a built-in mechanism in the WCO.

Both the run and the pass were available on that play.
The original call was a bootleg, but Schaub had the authority to check into a run play out of that formation.

That's what it means by "play design".
It was designed to be a bootleg to the right with the option for Schaub to check into a run play; in this case, a run strong side to the left should have the best chance to succeed where the Texans had the number in blocking, with the blitz coming from the opposite side.

If Schaub choose to stay with the pass call; it's on him to make the best of the situation.
A run fake like this is designed to fool the weak side LB.
If he advances (which he did), he would leave a void behind him as Graham cut across the field from the other side; that's where Schaub had the best chance throwing the ball. It should be automatic as the QB turns around and saw that the weak side backer bought the run fake.

Failing that, Schaub should realize that a throw to the inside is optimum for OD since Sherman played to the outside all the way.

Schaub committed a triple error there; he did everything wrong, including just throw the ball away or take a sack.

It was stupidity beyond all stupidities; it's not acceptable for a ten-yr veteran.

Yep,he screwed the pooch on that play and that's really unacceptable.

RTP2110

All Pro
This just dawned on me, sorry if it's been mentioned....something very minor that could have a huge benefit....is there not an option to at least change out of the PA pass and audible into the run you're faking? You can at least get out of the very very poor play call without having to change your formation.

Rey

This is exactly what im talking about. This type of comment right here. This pretty much epitomizes the average mentality of a houston sports fan.

Be a nice guy, do enough to win, and we will baby and protect you no matter what your failures to win the big one.

This is how biggio and bagwell came off relatively unscathed despite their playoff choke jobs. This is how Kubiak and Schaub last this long.

This city is too soft. Fan wise and media wise.

If you people think burning jerseys and making some satirical pick six burger menu is "too tough" and "personal" then maybe you should just watch some golf because your sensibilities are too fragile for manly sports.

Can you imagine if this texan team with schaub and kubiak at the helm was in new york, LA, or philly? Can you imagine what the media and fans would do to them?

Looking back at what lebron james had to endure before winning a championship, its a freaking joke that anybody can feel sorry for what is going on with Schaub.

A freaking joke.

You sound like a sad little person that doesn't have much meaning in your life so you lean on football, entertainment, like it's your own reality. Or maybe you're just delusional. I'm leaning more towards delusional since no one said anything about burning jerseys. You're maybe one of the worst types of people...the blathering fool that is completely sober...unless you were actually drunk when you wrote this....

Either way, the last thing I think about when I read your post is tough. I know tough when I see it, lmao and that ain't it.

Nitrofish

Let The Big Fish Eat!
Read this and more in this great read. Links to the video are in the original article.

The Audible Issue.

For some fans, that the Texans do not have a Peyton Manning-style audible system is a problem for this offense. And they look to the Pick-6 play in the Seattle game as evidence of that.

I’ve written in the past about how the Texans do audibles using words directly from the players. This is worth reviewing if you haven’t seen it. Basically, they audible about 30% of the plays, and not to the entire playbook. And the line and the quarterback have different responsibilities as it relates to the play and the line protections. They have the ability to audible from run to pass and vice versa, from a selection of two to three plays based on what they see from the defense.

Also worth noting that this isn’t a trust in Matt Schaub thing. Any quarterback running Gary Kubiak’s version of the West Coast offense would have the same system.

Ultimately, I think that Sage Rosenfels view of the Texans audible system is a sensible one. There are pros-cons to the way that the Texans do audibles. (Just to clarify, not all West Coast offenses do no traditional audibles. I think the headline of the podcast overstates Rosenfels’ point).

As it relates to the Pick-6 call, Gary Kubiak was asked a yes/no question of whether Matt Schaub had the freedom to audible out of that aggressive play call given what the defense did. And his response was, ““No, once we called it, started the motion, it was game on.”

If you watch the play, if the TE is in motion, and the defense declares after that starts, it is too late to audible out of that play whatever your audible system is. The quarterback’s responsibility is to not force a play if the defense does things that make the play not workable.

The Texans have done counter-intuitive, aggressive plays to close out games in the past. For example, check out the 5:17 mark of the Bengals-Texans highlights in the playoff game last year. Which leads to the larger point:

That Bengals play is not as aggressive as the one called against the Seahawks, but certainly could have been not successful. It was a risk/reward play that tried to nail the win.

My view of audibles is that it isn’t a huge problem. The Texans have had highly productive, efficient offenses with this exact system. If the quarterback does smart decision making, he eats dumb plays and can still take advantage of matchup issues he can see with what the defense is doing. You can look at audibles as “the problem,” though they really are allowed to change plays, or your can look at the simpler explanation:

The pass protection is a season killer if not fixed. It’s a problem for a non-mobile quarterback. It would be a problem for just about any quarterback. Part of the issue is that in games that you get behind, teams can pin their ears back. But that shouldn’t have been an issue in the Seahawks game. They had the lead for a large part of the game.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Thanks for the link. I appreciate the knowledge.

But the mob has made up its collective mind. They have little interest in listening to reason.

Schaub must be punished.
Great article, but of course, I knew it when I read it that it was our very own Texans Chick.

As far as your point, she hit the nail on the head:

The quarterback’s responsibility is to not force a play if the defense does things that make the play not workable.
This is why fans are upset with him. For the WCO to be successful, the QB MUST be the player on the field that makes the consistently good decisions. He does not have the be the best athlete (obviously), but he must be the one that does not make blatantly stupid mistakes that give the other team points to tie the game with less than 3 minutes left on the clock.

All that said, Schaub is our QB this year regardless of the whine and cheese crowd, so put away the pitchforks if you're going to be a Texans fan. You'd better root for his success in spite of your own reservations and/or dislike of the player.

If you are rooting for him to fail, you are not a fan of this team, IMO. :texflag:

Nitrofish

Let The Big Fish Eat!
Great article, but of course, I knew it when I read it that it was our very own Texans Chick.

This is why fans are upset with him. For the WCO to be successful, the QB MUST be the player on the field that makes the consistently good decisions. He does not have the be the best athlete (obviously), but he must be the one that does not make blatantly stupid mistakes that give the other team points to tie the game with less than 3 minutes left on the clock.

All that said, Schaub is our QB this year regardless of the whine and cheese crowd, so put away the pitchforks if you're going to be a Texans fan. You'd better root for his success in spite of your own reservations and/or dislike of the player.

If you are rooting for him to fail, you are not a fan of this team, IMO. :texflag:
I bow to you sir. Great post, but your last sentence in particular was pure genius!

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I by no means root for him to fail ....I'd like nothing more than watching Schaub hoisting a Lombardi Trophy.

I do have reservations about his ability to lead this team to its ultimate goal.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

If you are rooting for him to fail, you are not a fan of this team, IMO.
Agree with all you've said. And I understand the ire and frustration of the fans; heck, I share it.

Regarding that last sentence; I'll never root against my team.

kingtexan

All Pro
If you cant trust your QB to change a bad play-call, then get a new QB.

If your coach has such an ego that he wont allow audibles, then get a new coach.

If you don't have the balls to make tough decisions regarding personnel that is costing you games, sell the team.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If you cant trust your QB to change a bad play-call, then get a new QB.

If your coach has such an ego that he wont allow audibles, then get a new coach.

If you don't have the balls to make tough decisions regarding personnel that is costing you games, sell the team.
If you don't know that your team audibles on 30% of their plays...

:toropalm:

Hervoyel

BUENO!

So by audible do you mean that the QB changes to the other play he is allowed to call or that he actually has the freedom to pick just about any play he has the personnel to execute and audible to that? Honest question.

Is it "You can do this or that" or "If you see something out there that you can take advantage of then change to the play you need"?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So by audible do you mean that the QB changes to the other play he is allowed to call or that he actually has the freedom to pick just about any play he has the personnel to execute and audible to that? Honest question.
I think it's the ability to change to another play.

Is it "You can do this or that" or "If you see something out there that you can take advantage of then change to the play you need"?
I'd like to see how beneficial those audibles are. I know when Carr was here, I used to complain about not having the ability to audible. Then Schaub came in & the offense has been pretty prolific. If we're not audibling, we're doing pretty dam good with what we do. So..... it's not a big issue to me.

I did hear DeAndre mention in the preseason if he's got one on one coverage he's going to run a go route. Maybe that was just for the preseason, or just that game. But I'd think, as prolific as our offense has been, that there are built in rules like that every game. When Andre is in motion, if the coverage the defense is in puts him on a LB, or a safety, then we take advantage of it.

Like I said, we're at the top of the league in points & yards generally every year. If it ain't broke...

Rey

I think it's the ability to change to another play.

I'd like to see how beneficial those audibles are. I know when Carr was here, I used to complain about not having the ability to audible. Then Schaub came in & the offense has been pretty prolific. If we're not audibling, we're doing pretty dam good with what we do. So..... it's not a big issue to me.

I did hear DeAndre mention in the preseason if he's got one on one coverage he's going to run a go route. Maybe that was just for the preseason, or just that game. But I'd think, as prolific as our offense has been, that there are built in rules like that every game. When Andre is in motion, if the coverage the defense is in puts him on a LB, or a safety, then we take advantage of it.

Like I said, we're at the top of the league in points & yards generally every year. If it ain't broke...
1) kubiak has said once the motion starts there is no more "audibling". Yet, here you are saying that you think when someone goes in motion and it creates a favorable match up, we audible.

Doubtful.

2)your last statement is settling. That's why you love Schaub. Because you think he's "good enough". If it ain't broke and all that jazz. How about being even better? How about crushing opponents and breaking the damn scoreboard? How about when we regress we regress to "still pretty good" instead of "the suck"?

This league is about greatness. Texans aren't going to go-hum their way to a Super Bowl. In this day and age it will be very hard to make it if your offense can't consistently deliver late in the year and in the play offs.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
I saw Schaub do this in the game. I think that was a signal for his audible.

Correct. He'll make motions like this, or he'll motion to a WR to adjust his position on the line. It doesn't posses the fine tuning of audibles, but it reduces the affect that crowd noise has on your adjustments. I think I prefer the latter.

Come On Breh

Waterboy
You sound like a sad little person that doesn't have much meaning in your life so you lean on football, entertainment, like it's your own reality. Or maybe you're just delusional. I'm leaning more towards delusional since no one said anything about burning jerseys. You're maybe one of the worst types of people...the blathering fool that is completely sober...unless you were actually drunk when you wrote this....

Either way, the last thing I think about when I read your post is tough. I know tough when I see it, lmao and that ain't it.
that's real rich coming from a guy whose been here since march 2010 and with 13,430 posts.

and how do you know this?

then again, how much of an audible is it when you have restrictions on them? I wonder if its the same set of audible plays for certain formations then it really ceases to become an audible when the opposing defense knows the play AND the audible knowing kubiak, he has the sam audible option plays time in time out.

It explains why it seems like a lot of the defenders know exactly where the ball is going to go.

fake freedom.

nothing to brag about. in fact, its a pretty weak defense of kubiak's alleged audible system.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
1) kubiak has said once the motion starts there is no more "audibling". Yet, here you are saying that you think when someone goes in motion and it creates a favorable match up, we audible.

Doubtful.
That's not what I said.

2)your last statement is settling. That's why you love Schaub. Because you think he's "good enough". If it ain't broke and all that jazz. How about being even better? How about crushing opponents and breaking the damn scoreboard? How about when we regress we regress to "still pretty good" instead of "the suck"?

This league is about greatness. Texans aren't going to go-hum their way to a Super Bowl. In this day and age it will be very hard to make it if your offense can't consistently deliver late in the year and in the play offs.
I think Schaub is good enough that we've consistently been a top 10 offense in both yards & scoring over the last 5 years. I don't believe it's going to be as easy to replace him as many people think.

I know that throughout history teams have not spent high draft picks, big FA dollars, or a lot of energy in replacing their starting QB when they are top 10... in offensive scoring & yardage. I don't expect the Texans to be any different.

I think this idea that other QB's can audible to any play is false. It's always going to be limited by formation and personnel. Further, I'm not sure I'd trust -everyone on the team- to be able to hear and process the full playcall from being lined up at the line of scrimmage.

Rey

I think this idea that other QB's can audible to any play is false. It's always going to be limited by formation and personnel. Further, I'm not sure I'd trust -everyone on the team- to be able to hear and process the full playcall from being lined up at the line of scrimmage.
Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, it's just stage two denial at this point if you don't see that the texans don't have as much freedom in the audibling system as some other teams.

Our system is more of a check with me system without actually looking at the coach. It's a step above that. Instead of the coach assessing the defensive formation, like you'll see with college teams you give that responsibility to the qb. He's either going play 1 or play 2. That's it.

It's pretty well documented at this point how our audibling system works.