Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak: Schaub couldn’t audible out of “very, very poor play”

Scooter

Funky
My take in a different thread: Wtf? Schaub couldn't audible to a running play if he noticed a blitz? Somehow I call bs on Kubiak here. I would bet Kubiak is just trying to take heat off his QB with this comment.
that's how i'm reading it as well. there are always pre-snap options. kubiak is protecting schaub here, though is also probably a bit beside himself for calling the play in hindsight.

for the record, i'm still on board with kubiak. i think he and wade are our ideal coaches. the one and only part of the team that i've given up on is matt schaub. now if kubiak wants to hang himself with the matt schaub rope, i cant say much, but otherwise he has my support.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Funny I only hear the progressions and doesn't see receivers from Texans fans. The ex-coaches say those are strengths.

Honestly it is hilarious reading the game day thread and listening at the same time. The former QB commentator will be saying Schaub is on his 3rd read and the MB will be saying he stared down his receiver the whole way. Or this last game with tons of folks jumping in saying AJ was wide open in the back of the end zone. No as a practical matter he wasn't. Schaub was heading right to left with AJ well back from him. That would have required gymnast to pull off and we know that ain't Schaub.

To be clear, Schaub is not playing well but he is also not guilty of everything alleged here.
Schaub may not be guilty of everything here, but there is no denying that he has missed wide open receivers dating back to last season and made some dumb ass throws. Don't go sainting Schaub just yet. He has more than enough culpability for his poor play in 2012 and 2013.

texanhead08

All Pro
This is ****ing ridiculous, college QB's all over the country are allowed to audible out of bad plays but we have a 10yr veteran that our coach doesn't allow to audible. Kubes needs to go asap.

that's how i'm reading it as well. there are always pre-snap options. kubiak is protecting schaub here, though is also probably a bit beside himself for calling the play in hindsight.

for the record, i'm still on board with kubiak. i think he and wade are our ideal coaches. the one and only part of the team that i've given up on is matt schaub. now if kubiak wants to hang himself with the matt schaub rope, i cant say much, but otherwise he has my support.
I think one more pick 6 will put Schaub to bed.

Or they'll fake an injury to save face.

Schaub may not be guilty of everything here, but there is no denying that he has missed wide open receivers dating back to last season and made some dumb ass throws. Don't go sainting Schaub just yet. He has more than enough culpability for his poor play in 2012 and 2013.
Schaub wears the scarlet letter, make no mistake about it.

His time is nearing an end.

texanhead08

All Pro
Schaub doesn't get a free pass because he made a bonehead play, but he made one earlier in the game so what exactly did we really expect him to do. We hear this lack of audible freedom every year and it always comes back to bite us in the ass. Have you ever heard of this in the history of football ?? This might be why Manning was never really a possibility to come here it might be that Gary was too stubborn to give up some of his authority when it comes to the offense.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Don't go sainting Schaub just yet. He has more than enough culpability for his poor play in 2012 and 2013.
Not sainting him at all. To the contrary I am saying there are plenty of legitimate things to complain about Schaub and Kubiak without making more up. On the pick 6 it was a poor play call, a bad protection call, a bad decision not to audible whether or not authorized and brain dead execution.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I heard the play by play team say that Schaub is the most blitzed QB in the NFL. No shock since he handles pressure poorly and doesn't stretch the field to make teams pay.
It's also very tempting for the defense to blitz when the QB rarely checks out of the play.
That is one narrative. The counter would be, that evening in knowing Schaub's lack of agility, Kubiak decides to call a play that puts his QB in a position to fail at the height of the game - while not giving Schaub an opportunity to audible into a Moons over my Hammy.

Live with the menu, die by the menu.
I'm in no way absolving Schaub's responsibility for this mistake. But it was a "very,very poor play" call. The defense is not going to crash inside looking for a run on 3rd and 4. They're thinking pass. No one went for the fake as a top defense shouldn't. Schaub had no chance to make a positive play. All he could do was make the least negative play. Which would have been to curl into a ball and take the gift sack. How does Kubiak pour over these plays all week and then during the game, then make a ridiculous call like that?

Not sainting him at all. To the contrary I am saying there are plenty of legitimate things to complain about Schaub and Kubiak without making more up. On the pick 6 it was a poor play call, a bad protection call, a bad decision not to audible whether or not authorized and brain dead execution.
I would have been great if Schaub noticed the safety/cb approaching the line to blitz... Of course, he had no clue. Zero awareness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUbvJZfkuzA

I heard the play by play team say that Schaub is the most blitzed QB in the NFL. No shock since he handles pressure poorly and doesn't stretch the field to make teams pay.
A few years ago (when the right side of his OLine weren't incompetent Fug ups), Schaub was a blitz beater with the highest QB rating in the NFL when blitzed.

Funny how that works.

I would have been great if Schaub noticed the safety/cb approaching the line to blitz... Of course, he had no clue. Zero awareness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUbvJZfkuzA
The DB didn't come up until the WR came in motion. Kubiak said that once the motion started, they can't audible the play.

Why is that so hard for people to understand? It was either run it or call a time out at that point.

A few years ago (when the right side of his OLine weren't incompetent Fug ups), Schaub was a blitz beater with the highest QB rating in the NFL when blitzed.

Funny how that works.

The DB didn't come up until the WR came in motion. Kubiak said that once the motion started, they can't audible the play.

Why is that so hard for people to understand? It was either run it or call a time out at that point.
Chill out for one sec.

Checking a blitzer is not an audible.

Apples and Oranges.

EVOLVIST

Kid A
That could also play a role, but Schaub's mobility hasn't been affected that much (he was never what I would call nimble), while the current borderline NFL talent on the right side of the OLine is not 50% of Biscuit and Caveman.
And therein is the majority of the problem. I'll have to walk the circumstances through my head again, but changing up our offensive line at the height of offensive power was the death knell. I was thinking about this today. As much as we browbeat Winston, who among you wouldn't want him back today, if only to give ourselves a fighting chance?

jmont93

Practice Squad
Schaub is not the flashiest guy but he has a good skill set. It's not necessarily his play that is costing us. Him included, its about playing sixty minutes of intense and disciplined football. Bring some passion to the offense. Everything I have seen so far is Andre, Schaub, and Kubiak moping around and Foster getting angry at himself for not producing like he used to. Starting at the top get driven and have those players in the zone. Did you see Pete Carol and Russell Wilson towards the end of that game. There was no way in hell they were going to lose that. Whether Schaub can get an edge to him and bring out the intensity in the offense is what will determine if this team makes the super bowl.

Wolf6151

All Pro
It's sad that Kubiak doesn't trust Schaub to make audibles at the LOS. I'm not sure if this is an indictment of Kubiak, Schaub, or both. I honestly think it's both. Kubiak is an ego maniac control freak that must be in control of every aspect of the team at all times, and Schaub is terrible under pressure, isn't smart enough, or good enough to audible to the correct play when it's needed.

burro

probably drunk
The previous two weeks he had pick six's. We would have understood the logic. Schaub went from trending to full blown Schaub Team Six.
There was a stretch in 2010 where Peyton Manning threw 11 INTs in 3 games, including two pick-6s in an OT loss to Dallas. Neck injury, yeah yeah we know...the point is that most good QBs have crappy games, sometimes even stretches of crappy games. They usually recover and I expect Schaub to do the same.

LEATHERHEAD

Waterboy
Im going to tape the next game,,,so I only Waste a 1 1/2 of my life...???????20 unanswered points???????im mad at MeatHead also,,but damn

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If this is right, I feel pretty certain Kubiak and Smith knew this before they signed Schaub to the extension. So, if they knew this beforehand, why the heck did we offer him this huge contract? Were they both so arrogant as to believe that even though he has these major limitations, they could work around them because Kubiak is an offensive guru and could manage the QB and the team to a championship?
Just more stuff that doesn't add up, yet "we" find to be more believable.

:thinking:

bckey

All Pro
It sounds more like he is instinctually covering for Schaub, but thereby implicating himself to a fan base that already sees he, Schaub's contract and Rick Smith's incredible UDFA work as the Teflon Trinity.

This team is talented enough to get the result, they just need an organizational structure that has check and balances. The current power structure has been on cruise control since pen went to paper eight years ago.
My thoughts exactly. Great post!

Txn_in_FL

All Pro
There was a stretch in 2010 where Peyton Manning threw 11 INTs in 3 games, including two pick-6s in an OT loss to Dallas. Neck injury, yeah yeah we know...the point is that most good QBs have crappy games, sometimes even stretches of crappy games. They usually recover and I expect Schaub to do the same.
Please, please, PUH-LEEZE tell me you aren't trying to compare the trials and tribulations of The Peyton to Matt Schaub. You absolutely can NOT make that comparison and to even bring something like that up is ludicrous. I would neither consider Manning nor Schaub "good" quarterbacks. The Peyton is probably the greatest QB of our time and the other is the complete polar opposite of that description. Good is somewhere in the middle.

Mr. Burro, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in on message board is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That is one narrative. The counter would be, that evening in knowing Schaub's lack of agility, Kubiak decides to call a play that puts his QB in a position to fail at the height of the game - while not giving Schaub an opportunity to audible into a Moons over my Hammy.

Live with the menu, die by the menu.
Kubiak is falling on the sword for Matt. They go to the line & make adjustments. Matt did not see something he was supposed to see. He should have checked out of that play if he saw two blitzers off the backside.... he didn't.

That would have been a handoff to Arian if he had. Maybe Matt was thinking he'll keep the ball & make a play, it was 3rd & 4... not really a run situation. But Arian just had 2 carries for 5 yards & a third (the most recent) for 1.

With two blitzers off the backside, the playside should have been able to pick up 4 yards.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
People are showing their hatred for Schaub with their response to this. They're talking about Schaub going full retard, but they're swallowing the coach speak hook line & sinker

Or this last game with tons of folks jumping in saying AJ was wide open in the back of the end zone. No as a practical matter he wasn't. Schaub was heading right to left with AJ well back from him. That would have required gymnast to pull off and we know that ain't Schaub.
Like an idiot, my eyes were about 5 inches wide. I was sitting on the edge of my seat fully prepared to leap 5 feet in the air.

Schaub did a wonderful job avoiding a sack.... he separated himself from his pursuants wonderfully. As he made his way to the sideline, he looked at the one receiver there (had that guy made a beeline for the back of the end zone, no doubt in my mind Schaub would have made the right throw, but that didn't happen). After he did not open up, Schaub threw the ball away. Not a defender around him for at least 5 yards.

Had he stopped, set his feet & just looked for another receiver working his way open he'd have seen Andre coming to him. If there was no one there, he could have thrown it out of the back of the end zone.

No doubt about it, it would have been an amazing play from Matt Schaub.

But isn't that what we're saying we need? That would have won the game & put another in the practically empty Matt Schaub bag (had the defense held up, which at that point I can't say they would have based on the way they were playing at that moment (what they did in the first half was irrelevant at that point)).

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

We weren't even threathening the play clock at that time...... another WTF decision when you consider we should have been trying to kill the clock.

Just because Kubiak says there wasn't time, doesn't mean there wasn't time.

Most likely Schaub didn't see the DB was set to blitz, probably thought he was just adjusting to the WR. In his defense, Schaub is looking at him out of the corner of his eye. What he saw probably looked a lot like what he wanted to see.

Tango

Practice Squad
This is why I hate the 'journalism' in sports so much. It's already bad enough at usual sphere, but in the sports sphere the so called, reporters are down right bad. That Schaub wasn't given a chance to change the play (or ever given a chance to change the play) is a myth.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/09/texans-foster-calls-players-only-meeting/?cmpid=hpbn
There’s a misconception that Matt Schaub can’t change plays at the line of scrimmage.

In the loss to Seattle, Schaub checked out of “a lot of situations,” according to coach Gary Kubiak.

The Texans don’t use conventional audibles where the quarterback can change the play and call what he wants based on the defense.

Schaub has a lot of freedom at the line of scrimmage. When the Texans are in their hurry-up offense, Schaub calls everything at the line of scrimmage. Otherwise, the Texans use predetermined options that are set by the coaches.

Schaub may call two plays in the huddle based on what the coverage might be. He can check out of one and go with the other at the line of scrimmage.

Kubiak created confusion on Monday when he was asked if Schaub could have checked out of the bootleg call that resulted in him forcing a pass to tight end Owen Daniels that was returned for a touchdown that tied the score 20-20.

Schaub should have thrown the ball away with blitzing strong safety Kam Chancellor in his face. Asked if Schaub could have called an audible, Kubiak said, “No, once we called it, started the motion, it was game on.”

Txn_in_FL

All Pro
There is absolutely no way Kubiak is the head coach here next season.
C'mon man... I would like to believe this but I just can't. Who do they sign and is Bob willing to blow this thing up and start over. Don't tell me Wade would be the guy, I don't think he has the ability to put the discipline needed into the team as a head coach.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
If this is right, I feel pretty certain Kubiak and Smith knew this before they signed Schaub to the extension. So, if they knew this beforehand, why the heck did we offer him this huge contract? Were they both so arrogant as to believe that even though he has these major limitations, they could work around them because Kubiak is an offensive guru and could manage the QB and the team to a championship?

Schaub: Boss, can I please, please take a quick lock at that Menu?

Kubiak: Absolutely not! At least not until you learn to read better!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Schaub’s options predetermined

There’s a misconception that Matt Schaub can’t change plays at the line of scrimmage.

In the loss to Seattle, Schaub checked out of “a lot of situations,” according to coach Gary Kubiak.

The Texans don’t use conventional audibles where the quarterback can change the play and call what he wants based on the defense.

Schaub has a lot of freedom at the line of scrimmage. When the Texans are in their hurry-up offense, Schaub calls everything at the line of scrimmage. Otherwise, the Texans use predetermined options that are set by the coaches.

Schaub may call two plays in the huddle based on what the coverage might be. He can check out of one and go with the other at the line of scrimmage.

Kubiak created confusion on Monday when he was asked if Schaub could have checked out of the bootleg call that resulted in him forcing a pass to tight end Owen Daniels that was returned for a touchdown that tied the score 20-20.

Schaub should have thrown the ball away with blitzing strong safety Kam Chancellor in his face. Asked if Schaub could have called an audible, Kubiak said, “No, once we called it, started the motion, it was game on.”

From the Chron

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This is why I hate the 'journalism' in sports so much. It's already bad enough at usual sphere, but in the sports sphere the so called, reporters are down right bad. That Schaub wasn't given a chance to change the play (or ever given a chance to change the play) is a myth.
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/09/texans-foster-calls-players-only-meeting/?cmpid=hpbn
Don't blame the media, he was pretty straight forward with what he said. People took it to believe what they want to believe. We've been over this audible crap too many times.

Still, Kubiak is protecting Matt a bit here with what he said. The motion is supposed to help the QB see what's happening. That's why it's "important" for us to get to the LoS as quickly as possible.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Screw all the predetermined stuff; here's an option, call a timeout!

This cutesy we're smarter than you so we're not changing things based on what the defense gives you is ridiculous. Why attack a weakness? Instead, let's throw a high pressured pass in the direction of the best CB in the league.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps

Absolutely. Today's mainstream media is bad enough, but in sports media there's a limited set of subject matter to research. There are only 32 teams in the NFL. How difficult is it to know the basic philosophy and expectations of each team's offense? I could learn any one within an hour on Google. This NBC reporter just grabbed a Kubiak quote and half-assed his paycheck for the weekend.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Absolutely. Today's mainstream media is bad enough, but in sports media there's a limited set of subject matter to research. There are only 32 teams in the NFL. How difficult is it to know the basic philosophy and expectations of each team's offense? I could learn any one within an hour on Google. This NBC reporter just grabbed a Kubiak quote and half-assed his paycheck for the weekend.
If you think the media is about getting facts then yes, they may gave half assed it.

If you think the media is about generating a buzz and getting more views, then they totally nailed it.

Tango

Practice Squad
Absolutely! Rep coming at ya!

What is funny in all of this is the fact some of you are surprised about Schaub not being able to audible at the line. This info has been know for at least 5 years now.

As Schaub states, he has 2 plays he goes into the huddle with. The main play and a check down play. If one isn't there, he calls the check down. If the check down get sniffed out, he goes back to the original play. Hell I didn't even have to read the article to know that...

It is beyond stupid and sad and we as fans will most likely have to put up with it another 3 years or so...

That Colt bandwagon sure does look roomy and cozy....

burro

probably drunk
Please, please, PUH-LEEZE tell me you aren't trying to compare the trials and tribulations of The Peyton to Matt Schaub. You absolutely can NOT make that comparison and to even bring something like that up is ludicrous. I would neither consider Manning nor Schaub "good" quarterbacks. The Peyton is probably the greatest QB of our time and the other is the complete polar opposite of that description. Good is somewhere in the middle.

Mr. Burro, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in on message board is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
It's too bad you feel that way, but it doesn't make it any less true that good QBs even "the best of our generation" (who is actually Tom Brady, but that's another thread) go through rough spells and recover. If Schaub doesn't then he isn't as good as I and others thought, if he does then we can all cease sh*tting ourselves.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Doesn't excuse Schaub...he had a few options at his disposal within that play to not screw up....but it's like i've been telling everyone...this guy is as much the problem as Schaub is....removing 1 does not get us out of the woods of this mess we have right now.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
He doesn't read defenses well. He doesn't go through progressions well. He doesn't see wide open receivers well. Why would you not believe that he does not have the ability to recognize what play to call in an audible?
Sorry CnD...this is just one of your most garbage posts...You don't put up the numbers he has & not know how to do those things...

GNTLEWOLF

Rookie
Screw all the predetermined stuff; here's an option, call a timeout!:clap:
This cutesy we're smarter than you so we're not changing things based on what the defense gives you is ridiculous. Why attack a weakness? Instead, let's throw a high pressured pass in the direction of the best CB in the league.
This!!!!
He could have taken that option even after the WR went in motion. He could call time out any time before the ball is snapped. So if he was aware that the DB was gonna blitz, why not call a time out so he and the smartest coach in the NFL could re-think this bad play?

Tango

Practice Squad
If you think the media is about getting facts then yes, they may gave half assed it.

If you think the media is about generating a buzz and getting more views, then they totally nailed it.
If the news media is willing to "get the facts" but not able, then they are incompetent.
If they are able, but then not willing then they are liars.
If they are both willing and able (but yet don't report the facts), then why pretend to "get the facts"?
If they are neither willing or able, then why are they called the news media?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
good QBs even "the best of our generation" (who is actually Tom Brady, but that's another thread)
Peyton's coaches make Kubiak look like Jim Carey.

Brady has a guy nicknamed the Brain & has been caught cheating.

One guy has a coaching Tree that looks like an Alqueda network. The other guys tree looks like a dot.

Trail.Blazr

Hooked up to a Kool-Aid IV
It's too bad you feel that way, but it doesn't make it any less true that good QBs even "the best of our generation" (who is actually Tom Brady, but that's another thread) go through rough spells and recover. If Schaub doesn't then he isn't as good as I and others thought, if he does then we can all cease sh*tting ourselves.
I read this, and while I agree with what you are trying to say, I would counter with what your polar opposites in I and others think:

IF Schaub does recover, what does he recover to? I've seen enough in 7 years to know his ceiling is a borderline GREAT backup caliber QB or a mediocre starter, who has shown the ability to effectively manage a game for good stretches, but by no means has been the engine that makes the offense run. I've seen enough in the past 10 games he's started to have a reasonable expectation that his ceiling has already been realized and is in the rear view mirror.

You can put insert name here into the QB position and still see relative success from mediocrity given the complimenting players at RB, WR, TE and a decent OL. I give you Sage Rosenfels. no better, no worse than Schaub was. Just didn't have as long at the helm. I give you TJ Yates. again, we are in that fuzzy line of great backup/so so starter.

IMHO, you better load up on toilet paper, because I don't believe he's as good as he was, nor will be as good as you think he is.

gary: Get rid of the GIMP!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What is funny in all of this is the fact some of you are surprised about Schaub not being able to audible at the line. This info has been know for at least 5 years now.

As Schaub states, he has 2 plays he goes into the huddle with. The main play and a check down play. If one isn't there, he calls the check down. If the check down get sniffed out, he goes back to the original play. Hell I didn't even have to read the article to know that...

It is beyond stupid and sad and we as fans will most likely have to put up with it another 3 years or so...

That Colt bandwagon sure does look roomy and cozy....
Yep,

It's kinda sad that Gary doesn't trust and never has trusted his handpicked QB enough to let him audible at the LOS. Gary has typical Aggie control issues.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
You can put insert name here into the QB position and still see relative success from mediocrity given the complimenting players at RB, WR, TE and a decent OL. I give you Sage Rosenfels. no better, no worse than Schaub was. Just didn't have as long at the helm. I give you TJ Yates. again, we are in that fuzzy line of great backup/so so starter.
Sage is not equivalent to Schaub. If you had his performance in his best years, which were with the Texans, you get 2 more INTs than Schaub in this his worst year or you get 2 less TDs - take your pick. Sage was a 1 TD for 1 INT guy (TJ hasn't even been that good at 1 TD for 1.5 INTs).