Kubiak says Earl Cochran is serious threat to start at strongside DE

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by nunusguy, Aug 12, 2008.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

On Sunday, Kubiak took his praise to a new level when he said Cochran is pushing Anthony Weaver for a starting job on the left side opposite Mario Williams.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5937564.html
    Here's my question, why even keep Weaver around if the HC has them rated that closely ? Afterall, we've already established that Weaver is not a pass-rusher and if Cochran is playing this well, why keep the far more expensive Weaver on the roster when Earl can get the job done vs. the run ?

2. Polo

Polo Guest

I hope Cochran beats out Weaver...

I think in this scheme Weaver's skills = back up/situational player at best...

3. stiff

stiff Rookie

Thats the main reason to keep him around, depth. Worst case scenario keep him for training camp fodder. At this point you cannot have too much depth. There will be some "suprise" guys that will probably be cut this year.

4. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

I'm all for it! He deserves it.

5. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

I'm not ready to cut anyone when it is nice having depth for a change. But I am glad Earl is pushing for the spot. I havent felt like Weaver has given much effort since coming here and maybe some competition will light a fire under his hide.

6. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

He's a three-four end stuck on a four-three team. Weaver neither created the situation or circumstance. That would be Charlie Caslery and Dom Capers. The crime here would be not getting any value for the guy after keeping him around for two extra years. That's on Smithiak.

7. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

seems the focus should be on Cochran moving forward. Weaver brings veteren leadership, good guy & while mentoring his linemates I'm sure he's still got a trick or two up his sleave, just remember its a process thats headed in a positive direction.

I just hope for the same @ the RB position :)

8. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Seriously, based on his play and contract, who is going to spend anything not called a 6th or 7th round draft pick (if that) on Weaver?

Vinny likes this.
  9. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

If Cochran beats him out he starts and before anyone says cut Weaver .. I rather his keep him as for depth because of all the crap this team has gone through the last two years. Like I have been arguing with Polo, Weaver does very well against the run but if Cochran can do both better or it is marginal losing out on the plus of the run stoppage by Weaver then you go with Cochran but you do not cut off a toe even though 4 will work just fine.

10. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Because Weaver is even more expensive to cut. Weaver is signed through 2010, so there are 3 seasons of unamortized bonus money remaining on the salary cap. There may be other cap considerations, as well. aj might be able to shed some light on that, and Keith @ inthebullseye.com may have written on this topic. Bottom line, Weaver has to stay...even as a high priced backup. Heck, he might even be able to stay healthy with a limited role.

11. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

I don't know but twenty four months seems like ample time to wrangle two six packs and a ham sandwich for him. Still got three weeks to go. Someone could get hurt still. What I don't want to see is a bunch of crying come October if the guy does get cut and the right side collapses against the run. Do you need a pass specalist if your always in third and short ? Lets start Earl with the A team. Inquiring minds would like to see it.

12. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I knew there was a sizable number setting there, but didn't know they had
    3 remaining years to write-off, thought it was just 2 (which is bad enough).
    OK, thanks.

13. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Who thinks Earl can stay healthy an entire season as a true DE?

14. bollocks

bollocks Veteran

What I wonder is how Weaver would react to the idea of losing his starting job to Cochran. Anyone else think that he may not be entirely happy with being a back up?

Should he ask for a trade in this circumstance, what do you think we could get for him?

This is all hypothetical, of course.

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Why would they sign Weaver to a 5 yr high dollar deal?

CC must have seemed like Santa Claus to Weaver.

It's hard to believe a NFL GM could be as stupid as CC if I didn't see it with my own eyes.

NFL Networks credibilty took a hit when they hired CC as an expert.

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I think he can stay healthy all year. Maybe that is the optimist in me. (Some thing thais clearly lacking on this MB).

17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

A bag of chips.

There is the realist in me.

18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I wonder if the FO has even made an attempt to restructure Weavers contract. IMO, that'd be the best scenerio for the team. AJ did it, so why can't Weaver? :thinking:

19. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

AJ got a big signing bonus to restructure. I don't think the Texans want to throw good $$$ to Weaver after bad. Best thing is just to pay out Weaver's contract this season, and release him next offseason.

20. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Dunta must be pissing himself with fear with the thought of cochran on the field all of the time with him.