Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak really tore into them

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Did anyone else see Kubiak tear into the offense?? I can't remember specifics, but the Bears were up 10 nothing, and we went out with another 3 and out...... we looked pathetic.

I think it was right after Schuab went off on Slaton, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, shortly after that, we woke up, and won the game.

I'm sure I'm over simplifying it, but I was curious, why there wasn't much discussion of it.

That's right. It is also when Kubiak benched Slaton temporarily.

The next series Moats was in and they got a TD.

Rember when Lundy fumbled the ball in that Indy game??

He didn't see the field for what?? 8 games.....

ahh, those were the days...

That's right. It is also when Kubiak benched Slaton temporarily.

The next series Moats was in and they got a TD.

Yeah, during the game when Moats was getting the carries, the wife asked, "Where Slaton? Is he hurt?"

"No, he put the ball on the ground, remember?"

Both of us were actually shocked that Kubiak let him come back in the game at all.

Last edited:
Yeah, during the game when Moats was getting the carries, the wife asked, "Where Slaton? Is he hurt?"

Both of us were actually shocked that Kubiak let him come back in the game at all.

Yeah he wouldn't bench for the whole game, thats his stud back and you can't have him lose his confidence like that...Slaton bounced back nicely.

I don't think the fumble is what did it--at least it wasn't the final straw. He missed a couple pass protection assignments and then didn't turn a route upfield on a 3rd down right before being benched. That was when Schaub was talking to him and gesturing about turning to where he had thrown the ball.

I don't think the fumble is what did it--at least it wasn't the final straw. He missed a couple pass protection assignments and then didn't turn a route upfield on a 3rd down right before being benched. That was when Schaub was talking to him and gesturing about turning to where he had thrown the ball.

I think that's about right, a combination of several things including the fumble. Instances like this really shows that Kubiak was a player, is a players' coach and knows what he's doing. Keeping Slaton out that one game to rest his legs up... rest of the season Slaton dominated (that must have been the rookie's bye week). Taking Slaton out for a while so he could compose himself, refocus... then Slaton showed he really is already a professional by getting back out there and making the most of it.

I've been wondering about Schaub recently when we've seen him get fired up and "yell" at fellow players. There can be a good time and a bad time when getting after them. I love seeing that out of Schaub, but it is going to be counterproductive if he does that at the wrong times, the players don't really think he's a leader, etc. However, if one thing I feel like we NEED in a franchise QB is that passion for the game, the ability to pick yourself up after mistakes, to pick other players up from their mistakes, lead gaming winning/tying drives, being that leader to get the team refocused on winning the game, etc. I think we're starting to see that in Schaub let this season. Now next season he needs to not get hit as much, stay healthy for 16+ games and make less turnovers.

I see the same traits needed in a "franchise" coach. I really like Schaub and Kubiak as those guys.

I ain't worried about ANY of the players tuning Schaub's "yelling" out.
He earned the team's respect last year in Carolina, after his turnovers
gave the Texans' D two consecutive short fields, which led to 2 easy
Steve Smith TD's (14-0 Carolina.)

Schaub goes over to Dunta and says, "The score is my fault. I know
you've got my back, and you're gonna need me to have YOUR back
at some point."

This was the first Schaub-led comeback in Texans History. I still
watch that game on occasion, just to remind myself that the kid
has all the tangibles AND intangibles to take this franchise a long
way.

I ain't worried about ANY of the players tuning Schaub's "yelling" out.
He earned the team's respect last year in Carolina, after his turnovers
gave the Texans' D two consecutive short fields, which led to 2 easy
Steve Smith TD's (14-0 Carolina.)

Schaub goes over to Dunta and says, "The score is my fault. I know
you've got my back, and you're gonna need me to have YOUR back
at some point."

This was the first Schaub-led comeback in Texans History. I still
watch that game on occasion, just to remind myself that the kid
has all the tangibles AND intangibles to take this franchise a long
way.

I agree with your substance, but I think you are off on a couple of details.

Schaub had no turnovers in the Carolina game. The Panthers scored first on a long drive after we punted on our opening possession. Daniels then fumbled on our next possession setting up Carolina on our 20 for their second TD.

I believe the conversation with Dunta came in the first game against KC after Schaub threw a pick in the endzone trying to force the ball to AJ.

Leadership can be a tricky thing. Quarterback is, of course, a natural leadership position, but a newly acquired 25-year-old who has almost no starting experience probably has to build a track record before he can safely take on leadership tasks like meting out discipline. A year and a half later, I think Schaub now believes that his leadership position is secure enough that he can chew some butt when the situation calls. Absolutely agree that public floggings of the kind he gave Slaton should be administered with care, but Slaton clearly responded positively (as OMT said, that's a great testament to the rookie's professionalism). But I don't think anyone in the locker room is questioning whether Schaub has earned the right to get in teammate's face.

OMT

Just be thankful we aren't getting the type of leadership that HWNSNBM gave us. LOL

Some on the MB hate it but Schaub is the true leader of the offense. Wether they like it or not.

I think that's about right, a combination of several things including the fumble. Instances like this really shows that Kubiak was a player, is a players' coach and knows what he's doing.

Either we've got a Jeckle and Hyde thing going on here, or Kubiak is learning as he goes.

I prefer the later, but believe both options deserve some investigation.

I brought up the Wali Lundy thing, because of this. Wali was having a fairly decent game. Mostly short runs, with a few big gains here and there. He fumbled the ball, then he disappeared for most of the season.

When he came back, he had a few decent games.

I'm not saying Wali was all that, or that we should have kept him. But Kubiak took the same approach with most of the young backs that have come through here.

Morency, Walker, and I'm sure there were others, that I just can't remember.

My opinion, is that he is learning, and the different approach taken in these cases are evidence of that.

I don't believe his decisions this past Sunday show him to be a players coach.... or proves that he was a player.... I think he's stepping into his role as head coach, recognized some of the mistakes he's made, and is changing his approach to be a better coach.

OMT

Just be thankful we aren't getting the type of leadership that HWNSNBM gave us. LOL

Forgive me for not keeping up, but what does "HWNSNBM" stand for? I know I'm going to slap myself on the head when I find out?

Forgive me for not keeping up, but what does "HWNSNBM" stand for? I know I'm going to slap myself on the head when I find out?

I'm not ashamed to say his name Marcus. It stands for David CARR! A young kid right out of a marginal college, drafted by an expansion team, and expected to lead that team to the promised land. As EVERYONE on this board knows, and points out on a regualr basis, DC failed at meeting expectations. THUS providing a never ending need to slam him on every level possible.

I'm not ashamed to say his name Marcus. It stands for David CARR! A young kid right out of a marginal college, drafted by an expansion team, and expected to lead that team to the promised land. As EVERYONE on this board knows, and points out on a regualr basis, DC failed at meeting expectations. THUS providing a never ending need to slam him on every level possible.

Exactly. How dare you guys slam Mr. Mittens like that.

Either we've got a Jeckle and Hyde thing going on here, or Kubiak is learning as he goes.

I prefer the later, but believe both options deserve some investigation.

I brought up the Wali Lundy thing, because of this. Wali was having a fairly decent game. Mostly short runs, with a few big gains here and there. He fumbled the ball, then he disappeared for most of the season.

When he came back, he had a few decent games.

I'm not saying Wali was all that, or that we should have kept him. But Kubiak took the same approach with most of the young backs that have come through here.

Morency, Walker, and I'm sure there were others, that I just can't remember.

My opinion, is that he is learning, and the different approach taken in these cases are evidence of that.

I don't believe his decisions this past Sunday show him to be a players coach.... or proves that he was a player.... I think he's stepping into his role as head coach, recognized some of the mistakes he's made, and is changing his approach to be a better coach.

Lundy didn't have the good will Slaton has built up. If I heard correctly, he wasn't all that hard a worker. Slaton has faught his ass off for this team, and only lost two fumbles. All year.

Exactly. How dare you guys slam Mr. Mittens like that.

because Mr.I'm-only-doing-what-my-contract-requires quit on us
and he slammed US as soon as he got his first Carolina paycheck.

I actually felt sorry for all he'd been thru until that day

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

we now return you to the thread that was already in progress

The Slaton benching also said alot about Slaton and was probably the reason he got back - after that he never left Kubiak's side, until he got back in the game.

I also remember how Slaton grabbed Kubiak to the side and told him he was alright and to give him the ball on that MNF game.

New and improved:

He Who Shall Not Never Ever No Way Possible Ever In Any Way Be Named On This Message Board Ever....F*(% Him

HWSNNENWPEIAWBNOTMBEFH

Back