kubiak promises to be aggressive in all 3 phases

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3620084.html

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I agree with Kubiak, "that position is about success" more than any other position on the field, the teams W-L is a reflection of the QB. David hasn't had a lot of success at the position. It's not all his fault. Still, he feels it more than anyone else. Surely David isn't used to loosing..... well, we hope he isn't. Kubiak's got to find out if he is strong enough to internalize those losses, and rise above them.
    Personally I feel if David thinks those are not his losses, then he needs to go. A leader would own those losses, whether they are his or not.

Reading articles like this also make me feel good about Kubiak, and the possibility that Carr may be here to stay............... I stand by my opinion, however, that he isn't worth the $10 million it will cost us to play him this year.

3. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

Good article. Kubiak sure says all the right things, because everything he's saying is what I wanted from the last regime.

I'm going to indulge in a little Texans-Chick-esque musing of my own. One of the gazillion household arguments about "the state of the Texans" was sacks vs. interceptions. I made some comment about how a young quarterback (I'm talking about his first and second seasons) needs to get his throws in and make some interceptions (as terrible as they are) - feel it out instead of learning to fear the interception from Day One.

So I asked - what's the difference between three-and-outs putting your defense on the field and making them tired and making an interception every-so-often to put your defense on the field an extra time. His answer? Because you can spread the blame on a sack - the QB gets all the blame for an interception.

Not an answer I liked at all.

I don't know what is going on inside of David Carr's head, but I hope Kubiak can either fix it or send him on to be someone else's psychology project.

4. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

The team's win/loss record is a reflection of the TEAM and the coaching staff, not just the QB...If a team's win/loss record was a reflection of the QB, according to last season I guess Favre and McNabb are some of the worst QB's in the league...

5. Bronco Texan

Bronco Texan Veteran

Actually Farve is one of the worst QBs in the league.

6. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

It pains me to agree, but Favre was just plain awful last year.

7. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I hope you're kidding. One bad season from a guy who tried to carry his injury riddled team through the season with his practice squad RB after he lost 2 of his best linemen hardly makes him one of the worst QB's in the league. Only problem he had this season was the INT's, he had a completion percentage of 61.3 and threw for 20 TD's. The only reason he looked so bad was all of the INT's he threw when he was trying to make plays happen.

8. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

McNabb was injured and Favre is serverly overrated.

9. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Favre overrated?

lol:

10. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

Tulip look at the stats for the O-line. They gave up 42. You can put 26 on D.Carr if you like and that equals the 68 sacks we gave up. That means I am not including Sorry Wand, or other backups, DD and the other RBs, the TEs, or the unabated blitzer. So if you look at it that way the line still gave up more than almost every other team other than maybe the Vikings. I mean the O-line was bad and I mean real bad at the beginning and then the piss poor offense began. Just look at any game were Carr was allowed to be a regular agressive QB and you will see that the guy can play and be productive in this league. It is hard for me to say that because it means I had to eat crow two seasons ago when I was adimant about the fact we should have taken Peppers instead.

11. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

Sorry to say this but Farve is done. So he lost two of his best lineman...who cares thats no excuse for the poor performance he put up this year. Hell give Carr his line without those two lineman and bets are he doesnt do as horrible as Farve did this last season. I really think he should hang them up and go out as a legend vs playing again next year and tarnishing what he has worked so hard to accomplish.

12. BradK10

BradK10 Hall of Fame

Favre was awful. If you watched any of their games and saw some of the ridiculous throws he tried to make, you'd agree.

13. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

from the same article.

I hope we get at least a TE somewhere in the offseason to open the playbook alittle more

14. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

but i dont think one season can define his amazing career.

15. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

Wolf as I have been looking at TE in the draft and FA. I was thinking we should use a 4th rounder on David Thomas. I also want to pick up Teyo Johnson to a 2 yr contract of about 1.2 Million with 500k signing bonus and a three year option. Yeah this cheap, but we get him with alot of stat incentives. It will be an interesting mix, but with Thomas, Bruener, Johnson, and Joppru we should have two guys that can really catcth the ball and block pretty well, a solid blocker,and a roll of the dice.

16. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Sure it can - on this cup-is-half-empty board. :)

17. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Last year...perhaps. But he also played on one of the worst teams in the 2005 NFL.

But Favre is "overrated" all the way to his first ballot induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. :ok:

Dude is the epitome of the ultimate competitor, and his loyalty to the Packers is what ultimately cost him the end of his career with a losing team. I take nothing away from him, and I've got a lot of respect for the man and the QB. We'd be lucky to have a team leader with that kind of fire in his belly.

18. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

A convenient fact that is now sure to be ignored as it renders ineffective that little argument for drafting a new QB ...

Favre has a Super Bowl ring, is one of the winningest NFL QBs in history, and is sure to be a first-ballot HOFer. How many rings does McNabb have? If winning is suddenly the measure of a quarterback, you'd do better to backpedal than fire back with that.

19. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

And you would be thinking correctly in my opinion.

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I said everything I wanted to say about Wins/losses, you're trying to twist what I intended, and explained. I'm not blaming Carr for every Win/loss. Try to read those words in context with everything I said.

And yes, even with all those problems Favre had this year, his playing was even worse, he was not the HOF QB we expect him to be.