Kubiak on Morency getting the ball in pre-season

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Malloy, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Kubiak camp quotes:

"(on giving more running backs more reps) “We’re looking at (RB) Vernand (Morency) to play this week. We’ll get him ready to play. He’ll definitely play. We’ll make that decision on exactly which guys are going to go. Vernand will definitely be in the mix this week; however we go about doing that.”"

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2753&section=N Latest News

Yeah baby, don't let me down now. I'm really looking forward to what Morency can do in this offensive! :)

2. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Morency can't do any worse than than Smith's one yard rush attempt.

3. rittenhouserobz

rittenhouserobz Hall of Fame

I hope he has let go of the "shake and bake" mentality. I am sure everyone will be watching for that. I think he will be able to use that skill when he is 20 yards past the line of scrimmage with one guy to beat, but until he is in the defensive backfield I don't expect to see many moves.

4. SnakeOilTanker

SnakeOilTanker Veteran

maybe instead of Shake And Back he's the Magician..now you see him...now you don't

or maybe El Diablo...some sort of fighting chicken thing...with talons

5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I've always liked Morency for some reason, but he did tend to have a dancing problem in the backfield. I'm glad Kubiak has addressed this tendency, and it will be very interesting to see how VM responds to this fundamental change.

Personally, I think it will do him good. One of the great aspects of Kubiak's system is that the runner has very few decisions to make behind the line. It's all about getting past the LOS and gaining yardage, even if that means 3 yard runs.

And if all the backs are trained with the one-cut philosophy, there is consistency on the offense irregardless of who they stick back there. The burden is put on the o-line to make the blocks and open the holes.

6. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I agree with you on the fact that VM has a chance to shine in this offense considering he eliminates the juking and dancing. As far as just sticking anybody in there, A. Smith proved that you at least need to find a hole in order to penetrate the LOS. I don't think he hit one hole while he was in. It seemed like he was basically hitting a pre-determined hole rather than making the correct read on where to penetrate the line. I'm assuming if he does make the team, it'll be only for very short yardage.:twocents:

7. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

It looks as if the oline may create some open lanes for the backs. It does not matter much if you are a jitter back or a one cut and up the field back if there are no holes. Reports I've seen in Chronicle reports that Morency is adjusting to Kube's wishes. I agree that he can use the "shake & bake" as he tears down the field past the linebackers. I liked what I saw of him last season as I liked what I saw of Lundy Saturday. I wanted a trade of the 1st pick then agreed on Bush when it was evident no trade would occur. I solidly supported the Mario selection after awakening from my faint. After watching the KC game I feel even better about the running game. I want DD but feel we are going to be ok until he recovers.

8. srstex

srstex Veteran

With all the talent at the RB position, I think all of them can make a contribution, and all be fresh in the season, ( running back by comitee is not popular but...) with DD, Lundy Smith Morency, 3 will definitely make the team and make a difference in the W-L column. When you can show the RB that a hole is going to be there, they will all buy into the system, and be a force to be reakoned with in the regular season. IF the left tackle, whoever that may be, is a GOOD tackle, then this year will be 8-8, but we might start 1-3.

9. Double Barrel

This is true, but just remember Smith was not getting the benefit of playing behind the starting o-line. I wasn't all that impressed with him, either, but I think this is the nature of pre-season games. These things have to be kept in perspective as much as possible.

10. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

But Lundy had that same OL and did much better.

11. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Just as an aside, and with no stats to back it up, I am guessing Morency's game would look good on turf.

12. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

Morency was fun to watch atleast last year cause he did not even know were he was going half the time.:francis:

He has to understand and I am sure he does that he can still get crazy but after he gets out of the holes. Into the secondary he can put the moves on.

13. Double Barrel

hmmm, I thought he played later behind 2nd stringers. (memory is already fuzzy! ;)).

But I agree, Lundy looked a lot better. I think he'll end up starting if Morency doesn't shape up (based on what we've seen so far).

14. rittenhouserobz

rittenhouserobz Hall of Fame

Fresh legs kills the opposing defense. With the zone blocking scheme the Defense would have to make a scheme for overcome the rushing attack that has fresh legs thoughout the game before stopping the bootlegs is even a thought. Kubiaks offense is going to be difficult for defenses to stop. The teams that will slow us down the most have the faster DE's that can get to the QB on a bootleg or reach the runner. For instance Indy.

15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Smith started the game. I'm assuming they had the starters in on th line as well.:cool:

edit: sorry, we posted at the same time. My bad.

16. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Lundy had the first TD of the game when David Carr was playing. Smith played the first drive, Lundy played the second drive.

17. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

For our RBs, I'd like to see DD, Morencey, and Lundi. Last year, I felt I was a big supporter of giving Verand the ball "More"ncey (HA!!). I think that he could be a difference maker for this offense.

18. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Im kinda hoping Morency ends up beating out Lundy for the starting job if DD cant go because Lundy looked like a real solid return man. Which we need until Mathis is healthy

19. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

Why dont you want Lundy to start at both RB and KR? Do you not want Lundy to get caught up in too much? Personally, I want to get a good look at Morency before I rush to any judgements, but like what Lundy has done thus far. Hopefully what Ive been hearing is true and Morency is more one cut and go and saves the jukes for the DBs 15 yards down field.

20. gumper27

gumper27 Rookie

Why when I look at the depth chartt and see Smith as second string. Do you think there is any chance of him starting if DD can't go?