Kubiak: Not easy to trade down in the draft

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Mar 13, 2010.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Link

I posted this, since this comes up every year (and already has this offseason). If you want to trade down, you have to have shrewd negotiators who can make immediate on-the-fly decisions..........unlike what we've seen in the past few years during games.

2. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Also, there needs to be a player teams are willing to move up to get available at our pick. If there was a player that coveted, why not just take the great value pick at 20?

Trading down is difficult unless you're not looking for positive value for yourself (but rather more picks no matter the value).

3. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

:rolleyes:

any chance for a dig? if only we hadnt traded down the year before last it might have some credibility

4. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Draft fans in pretty much every city think their team can always trade down...pretty much ignoring that there is usually not a trade up partner. Your team has to always have a pick ready to go even if they really don't like the value.

5. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Yeah, wasn't it the Ravens who traded up for Joe Flacco....and we got Duane Brown and Steve Slaton with what was originally the Jaguars 3rd round pick, which the Ravens got when they traded down with the Jags, so they could take Derrick Harvey.

I think that's correct.

6. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

There was no dig in presenting the fact that it's harder to trade down than one realizes and that it takes quick smart minds to do so well. There was a "wish" that that could extrapolate to those same characteristics being shown on the field.

7. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Almost every team wants to trade down, only a few want to trade and only if they get the right kind of deal. In addition to needing shrewd negotiators, you need to have a player or group of players you are targeting at the new spot. Nothing is worse than trading down and then losing out on all of your targets: See Travis Johnson pick. As much as the C & C music factory might spin it, I really believe they had no clue who they wanted and just grabbed a random name out of a hat!

8. jppaul

jppaul Cut and Dry

Twenty is primetime trade down territory for teams that have spend thier first already and want to get back into the first to grab another player they had targeted that fell.

9. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Ok, but it all goes back to whether a team can get good value for the pick or not. You can easily make a trade and get nothing of value back. The key is to get good value. THATS what makes it so tough.

10. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Great, lets trade up for Eric Berry if he falls past 10

11. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

In our history I don't think we have ever traded down lol

12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

2008- 18 down to 26?
    2005- 13 down to 16?

This does not count the trade for Schaub...

13. Scooter

Scooter Funky

travis johnson. :gun:

edit: duane brown as well, thanks jb.

14. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I'm almost cool with that.

15. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I love the draft because of the anticipation towards your pick. Who's going to be available,who are we going to select... or are we going to be able to trade down!?

We've be fairly successful in trading down in the past, in my opinion. One not mentioned yet was in 2007. New Orleans trade up with us in the 4th round to select RB Antonio Pittman. We moved down 16 spots to their 4th (used to select Fred Bennett) and received their 5th (used to select Brandon Frye).

16. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I like the way the draft is set up this year. Now, after day one, I can put my draft board in order again and then go from there. Just hate that it's on a Thursday. May have to take off from work. Ha Ha Ha

17. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

April 26, 2003: Traded second-round pick (36th overall) and fourth-round pick (117th overall) to New England in exchange for second-round pick (41st overall) and third-round pick (75th overall); traded third-round pick (83rd overall) and seventh-round pick (262nd overall) to Oakland in exchange for 2004 second-round pick.

April 25, 2004: Traded fifth-round pick (159th overall) to Jacksonville in exchange for sixth-round pick (175th overall) and seventh-round pick (210th overall).

April 23, 2005: Traded first-round pick (13th overall) to New Orleans in exchange for first-round pick (16th overall- DT Travis Johnson) and 2006 third-round pick

April 29, 2007: Traded fourth-round draft pick (107th overall) to the New Orleans Saints in exchange for the Saints' 2007 fourth-round pick (123rd overall- CB Fred Bennett) and a 2007 fifth-round pick (163rd overall- G/T Brandon Frye).

April 26, 2008: Traded first-round pick (No. 18 overall) to the Baltimore Ravens for first-round pick (No. 26 overall- T Duane Brown) a third-round pick (89th overall- RB Steve Slaton) and a sixth-round pick (173rd overall- S Dominique Barber).

18. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

IMO, if the opportunity presents itself for a trade down, I'd pull the trigger if Wilson, Thomas and Spiller are off the board.

19. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I used to skip class back when the draft was held on Tuesday mornings. Berman at 9 in the morning is hard to handle. Kiper's air was still huge. Paul Zimmerman was wrong about everything.

20. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

sorry i meant trade down to the lower numbers