Kubiak "more than just the frontrunner"

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by A Texan, Jan 3, 2006.

1. A Texan

A Texan Veteran

I was watching Fox Sports SW after the Rockets game and after naming who was interviewing for the Texans job they claimed that according to their sources that Kubiak was "more than just the frontrunner" and that they expected him to be named "more sooner than later". We'll see.

2. UGA

UGA Rookie

hope its true. he's the best canidate for the job

this would be a major step in the right direction

3. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

just like the reeves hiring, im excited. how can you not?

you have a strong arm qb who CAN make all the throws and has feet to make the bootlegs work. the hard part will be rewriting the coaching and teaching he has had for 4 years.

4. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

That would be a crying shame and a step in the wrong direction.

5. barzilla

barzilla Veteran

Kubiak can't be named until after the Broncos are eliminated from the playoffs, so we might as well do our due diligence and interview as many people as possible. I don't want any stone unturned. The heck with NFL experience. I say interview college coaches (Georgia, West Virginia, Louisville coaches) sound good along with coordinators and recently fired head coaches like Haslett. You can still keep Kubiak number one in your mind, but give others the opportunity to blow you away.

6. DBRONCOFAN

DBRONCOFAN Waterboy

If Houston Wants A Winning Team They Should Hire Dan Reeves As The Head Coach..................

7. A Texan

A Texan Veteran

I don't get the feeling Reeves wants the HC job. It would be nice to retain him in some capacity, though, maybe as player personnel director or something. On Ch. 26, they said that Reeves had recommended Kubiak.

8. bubbajaxonbrown

bubbajaxonbrown Rookie

I know this is not a popular opinion but...

I would rather have Jerry Gray (Bills-DC) b/c he runs a 3-4 and a 4-3 with Buffalo (much like Parcells runs with the Cowboys). I wouldn't mind using the 4-3 but we have 3-4 personel and if we change to a primary 4-3 defense we are going to have cap issues in the next 3 years as we start to cut DT and LB to to fit. We have invested 4 years of draft picks and large FA contracts to fill the 3-4 (some good decisions, some bad). I would be more comfortable knowing we are going to continue with this 3-4 and hire an offensive guru like Martz, Sherman, Tice or Turner to be OC until they get HC jobs.

9. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

I like Jerry Gray also, but I don't think we will have an issue switching to a 4-3 if this is what the new coach wants to do. We have a lot of talent out of position that we have tried to fit into the system. I don't think there will be cap problems if we make the change. I think many of the players would welcome this change.

10. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

It's just my opinion, but I think it is basically Kubiak's job to accept or turn down and that he is the top choice of the team, I'm not sure who would be next on the list, although apparently Linehan is coming in tomorrow to interview so it could be him.

11. False Start

False Start On # 69

I am very glad to hear this . Kubiak is definately the best man for the job IMO . he worked with Elway , and Davis and has done a great job of bringing Jake The Snake into his own ....... wich is who David Carr reminds me so much of .

12. bubbajaxonbrown

bubbajaxonbrown Rookie

I think it'd be tough b/c we don't have prototypical DE size and speed for a 4-3. Our DE now would be DT in a 4-3 and our OLB (Peek and Babin) were too small for pro DE. That's why they were tweeners when they came out and only 3-4 teams were even considering them. Then our OLB wouldn't have depth b/c our ILB would have to fill them (Wong, Greenwood, etc). We would have to cut Payne eventually b/c we signed him b/c he is a NT not a 2-tech DT. And we just signed Payne and Wong to extensions so cutting them anytime within 3 years probably would come with penalties (this I'm not sure about b/c I haven't seen the numbers but most contracts would hurt us).

Like I said, Gray would be my preference b/c none of this would be a worry since he runs a 3-4. Anyone running a 4-3 will have to deal with these problems for awhile.

13. Kubiak is also interviewing with the Chiefs and the Rams, as well as the Lions.

14. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

This will be the first choice of the former St. Pius X (Houston) and Texas A&M QB. This is where he wants to be (here or A&M). I have an airtight source on this one!

15. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Through a friend I know Kyle Shanahan (was his roommate at UT) and am told that Kubiak will only take two jobs: (1) Houston or (2) Denver. If he does not get the Texans job he will remain Denver's offensive coordinator.

Regarding Gray, the future of Mike Mularchey and the Bills staff is still somewhat up in the air. It is possible Mularchey could get fired and Gray may be looking for a job. The Texans may consider him for a DC job if Kubiak is choosen as the next HC.

16. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

You are right about Denver also. But he would take the A&M job also. Of course, Fran is safe for another year.

17. Money Talks, if Kubiak was offered the right amount of money I doubt he stay with Denver.

18. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

Money is not everything. As bdiddy and I have stated, he will only come to Houston, College Station or remain in Denver after Shanahan leaves. Reliable sources, they are.

19. hmm i wonder why he would be entertaining offers from those teams then, free meal and flight maybe?

20. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

He was offered the New Orleans Saints job (that eventually went to Jim Haslett) but declined. He took his name out of the New England search during the interview process. He also declined an offer to coach the University of Colorado. Kubiak is very family oriented and will not move his family from Colorado, unless it is to come home.

Regarding A&M, I am not sure his current stance, but he was interested after the Slocum firing.