Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak Impresses Players

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
This is the quote out of all of them that stuck out at me:

A few players were asked if they noticed any differences on their first official day of the off-season program under the new coaching staff. Right away, cornerback Dunta Robinson mentioned the absence of certain motivational material. Many of the inspirational quotes that once dotted the locker room and weight room walls are in the process of being replaced.

“I think it’s too soon (to say), but things have changed,” Robinson said. “Not as many signs on the walls. It’s just different. Meetings won’t be as long as they were. A lot of things have changed, and that comes with bringing a new guy in. Nobody is going to be the same as the guy before.”

I know this, in the big scheme of things is not that big a deal, but hurray for the staff to take away the cheesy signs in the players rooms, weight room and locker room. Those are just a reminder of their losing seasons and the old way of doing things. And I am guessing, those sorts of signs kinda mock you when you are trying really hard and lose anyways.

Shorter meetings are a good thing too. Though I liked Capers, and am very interested in the Texans, I have to say that sometimes when I would hear him speak, I would tune out too. Day after day of that might wear thin.

They need more doin' and less talkin'.

I wonder if they are gonna do something about the player's cafeteria, and the art in there. In the past, for each game they won in a particular season, framed, large pictures from that game are hung on the wall. I guess that is OK if you are doing well, but not so OK if you are doing badly.

I was in the cafeteria last year in the second half of the season, and there were all these pictures of just the Browns game. Every single wall was Browns game pictures--nothing else. And at least from my point of view, it wasn't terribly inspirational, it was just kinda depressing.

The open door policy stuff was nice too. I had the sense last year that a lot of communication between the main coaches and players was done through intermediaries, or kinda beating around the bush.

Anyway, it was a nice article to read first thing in the morning. :redtowel:

Texans_Chick said:

I know this, in the big scheme of things is not that big a deal, but hurray for the staff to take away the cheesy signs in the players rooms, weight room and locker room. Those are just a reminder of their losing seasons and the old way of doing things. And I am guessing, those sorts of signs kinda mock you when you are trying really hard and lose anyways.

In addition to all those signs, we've all heard Capers talk and he speaks in cliché too. I imagine the players are going to enjoy having discussions/speeches with more meat and less platitudes.

Since teams take on the personality of their coach, I expect to see a lot more fire, determination, and aggressiveness this year than the quiet, conservative, and passivity of years past.

I don't know what to make of this but it has the feel of a good thing .... if I read something like the article below, questionable source granted, I'm not sure I'd feel as good ...

www.profootballtalk.com

LIONS FEAR A REVOLT

We're told that management of the Detroit Lions is bracing themselves for a backlash once new coach Rod Marinelli begins to apply his military mindset to a locker room containing more than a few guys who might not be inclined to respond to such tactics.

Although the hiring of Marinelli won praise in some circles since he's the kind of take-the-bull-by-the-bouncy-things leader that the team needs, there's only so much of the roster that can be turned over in a single offseason. So when guys like receiver Mike Williams (who showed up, we hear, for offseason workouts overweight) or receiver Charles Rogers (who continues to be a lazy turd, we're told) start to piss and moan about Marinelli's manner, other guys might be influenced by their complaints.

The other problem is that, if Marinelli and the Lions take liberties with any of the offseason workout rules, one of the guys who haven't bought in to Marinelli's approach could blow the whistle to the NFLPA, which is exactly what happened during Tom Coughlin's first season with the Giants and Denny Green's first year with the Cardinals.

So maybe, in the end, the decision to boot quarterback Joey Harrington sooner rather than later was an effort to win over the players, many of whom had decided that Harrington should go. Indeed, the move could win over just enough guys to keep the ones who might be inclined to rebel in check.

Runner said:
In addition to all those signs, we've all heard Capers talk and he speaks in cliché too. I imagine the players are going to enjoy having discussions/speeches with more meat and less platitudes.

Since teams take on the personality of their coach, I expect to see a lot more fire, determination, and aggressiveness this year than the quiet, conservative, passivity of years past.

We can only hope.

Have I mentioned it's a long way to September? I am going to go crazy.

Texans_Chick said:

Shorter meetings are a good thing too. Though I liked Capers, and am very interested in the Texans, I have to say that sometimes when I would hear him speak, I would tune out too. Day after day of that might wear thin.

They need more doin' and less talkin'.

I wonder if they are gonna do something about the player's cafeteria, and the art in there. In the past, for each game they won in a particular season, framed, large pictures from that game are hung on the wall. I guess that is OK if you are doing well, but not so OK if you are doing badly.

I was in the cafeteria last year in the second half of the season, and there were all these pictures of just the Browns game. Every single wall was Browns game pictures--nothing else. And at least from my point of view, it wasn't terribly inspirational, it was just kinda depressing.

The open door policy stuff was nice too. I had the sense last year that a lot of communication between the main coaches and players was done through intermediaries, or kinda beating around the bush.

Anyway, it was a nice article to read first thing in the morning. :redtowel:

:twocents:
Chick, I agree. Dom was a class guy, but I always felt he was so monotone and always had the same answers which seemed to be scripted at times on all the talk shows. I have heard nothing to the contrary that Kubiak is a stand-up guy and does not have a huge ego. This is refreshing! :homer:

:brickwall Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results!

jerek said:
We can only hope.

Have I mentioned it's a long way to September? I am going to go crazy.

Training camp can be fun. It's less smoke and mirrors for discussion than free agency and the draft.

Way back when this thing first started up I saw Dom Capers gather the players to shout, “Texans Pride! - on 3"…that was so embarrassing - so forced, so contrived. You could tell it was forced. I'm glad to see that Kubiak knows how to identify with the players. All that over-management and corporate structure Capers installed would probably be great for the marketing team but it saps the life out of a football team. Capers was out of touch in the same manner Jack Pardee was out of touch with his players when he coached the Oilers. Kubiak seems much more in-touch with the players.

Vinny said:
Way back when this thing first started up I saw Dom Capers gather the players to shout, “Texans Pride! - on 3"…that was so embarrassing - so forced, so contrived. You could tell it was forced. I'm glad to see that Kubiak knows how to identify with the players. All that over-management and corporate structure Capers installed would probably be great for the marketing team but it saps the life out of a football team. Capers was out of touch in the same manner Jack Pardee was out of touch with his players when he coached the Oilers. Kubiak seems much more in-touch with the players.

Agreed, you must have your finger on the pulse of the team. In order for you to stamp your mark on the team you must connect player #53 and the practice squad with the overall vision and goals of the team.

Getting Putzier was huge in my opinion as it shows the returning players that Kubiak's former players buy into his schtick and will follow. That alone helps the Shanny shadow dissipate.

Vinny said:

Yes, and I remember when they boadcast one of his locker room pep talks and it was straight out of the script of RUDY about no one comes into our house ....... I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Yes, Dom is a great guy, but he is not head coaching material in this day and age at the NFL level.

I think Kubiak has the insight of a former player (on very successful teams) to know that certain things motivate while other things simply do not.

Worn-out saying about motivation and all that jazz might be good for a bunch of high schoolers, but c'mon, these are grown men getting paid big jack. If they aren't already motivated, a bunch of signs won't do much for them. For some reason, it doesn't surprise me that Capers was the kind of coach to rely on this method.

Dom Capers is a good man. Yes, he spoke in cliches. But he believed in them. I think the Texans were depressed because they were being out played and out coached on Sundays. When that changes, everything a coach says will be golden and leaders will pop up all over the team.

Vinny said:

Haha ... missed the Texans Pride schtick, but I can totally see it. That is what I too like about Kubiak - he truly "relates" to the players. As a coach on different levels myself, I can tell you that it can be a big factor, can even make up for being less technically "sound" than other coaches even, in certain circumstances. Uniting your team and causing them to believe fully in each other and your leadership goes a long way toward getting things done.

I can probably go back and find player quotes from a few years ago about how excited they were to be playing in Capers' system with the discipline, professionalism, leadership and organization that he brought forth.

This is a normal cycle. We've seen it many times before and we'll see it many times again.

Ever had a new boss come in? What does everyone do? Same thing at Reliant Park.

Then what happens after you 'get used to' him/her, especially in the context of after a couple of years, your department is either a) recognized for being highly productive vs. b) or not?

There's many parallels between this and a business setting. And there should be, since it's a business.

aj. said:
I can probably go back and find player quotes from a few years ago about how excited they were to be playing in Capers' system with the discipline, professionalism, leadership and organization that he brought forth.

This is a normal cycle. We've seen it many times before and we'll see it many times again.

Ever had a new boss come in? What does everyone do? Same thing at Reliant Park.

Then what happens after you 'get used to' him/her, especially in the context of after a couple of years, your department is either a) recognized for being highly productive vs. b) or not?

There's many parallels between this and a business setting. And there should be, since it's a business.

Uh-oh. Are you telling us that the team will need to execute? :)

Hulk75 said:
I am so tired of hearing that, really, why would these guys, whatever...........Not everyone is a liar and trying to be 2 faced.
He's a troll, either that or he's Capers pretending to be a Texans fan, because he's the only poster who is upset Capers is gone and he is the only guy in this country that thinks Capers is a "Great" head coach.

Bobo said:
What else do you expect the players to say?

Hmmmmmmmm, maybe this?

This year though there is renewed excitement with the Texans, the players and coaches are just going through the motions.

Dunta Robinson, with slumped shoulders said, "You know, I was gonna be excited about our new season and our new start, but there is this guy named Bobo, on the Houston Texans message board, and he says we are gonna suck."

Gary Kubiak added, "Yeah, I moved the podium down on the floor because Bobo says there is no chance we can win. I was going to give a moving speech, but what's the point?

Veteran Zack Wiegert wishes that they could have more platitudes in the locker room. "When times were tough and people were Boboing us, I always have taken comfort in windy speeches and moving catch phrases."

Steve McKinney sat crying in the corner, wailing, "If only the Texans had signed a wide receiver writing a tell all book on the Eagles--we would have been brought together as a team."

Bob McNair added, "Gee, I am contemplating plastic surgery to make me resemble a startled girly deerlike alien. Bobo might like me then."

I better stop this thought experiment before my brain sticks this way. :cool:

Texans_Chick said:
Bob McNair added, "Gee, I am contemplating plastic surgery to make me resemble a startled girly deerlike alien. Bobo might like me then."

lol: :rofl: That is exactly what Jerry looks like :redtowel:

I've had this mullet on my ignore list forever and a day, BUT, that does absolutely no good at all when you tards quote him...refrain from this! <grin>

FirstTexansFan said:
I've had this mullet on my ignore list forever and a day, BUT, that does absolutely no good at all when you tards quote him...refrain from this! <grin>

We'll get to ya, no matter what you do! :)

jerek said:
Haha ... missed the Texans Pride schtick, but I can totally see it. That is what I too like about Kubiak - he truly "relates" to the players. As a coach on different levels myself, I can tell you that it can be a big factor, can even make up for being less technically "sound" than other coaches even, in certain circumstances. Uniting your team and causing them to believe fully in each other and your leadership goes a long way toward getting things done.

What's wrong with the "Texans Pride" thing? Seems to me like folks are just trying to find a scapegoat who happens to no longer be here to defend himself -- and these same folks seem to ignore the fact that Capers took a bunch of NFL rejects and rookies to the cusp of a .500 season in just three years. They seem to believe that Capers all at once got hit with a stupid stick last year. That seems pretty ridiculous and transparent if you ask me.

Hulk75 said:
I am so tired of hearing that, really, why would these guys, whatever...........Not everyone is a liar and trying to be 2 faced.

C'mon, be real. What player would criticize a sitting coach?

Back