Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak Gameday Mistake Thread

kwayshauntay

Waterboy
Here are two replays of that pathetic fake punt.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b35466
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b2b9aa

#34 Dominique Barber totally whiffed. He's supposed to be a safety, an aspiring NFL caliber defensive player. His hard hitting brother in Dallas should demand that Dominique change his last name, effectively immediately.

#12 Jacoby Jones whiffed, but he's not a defensive player, so his ineptness gets a pass, I guess.

#38 DeMarcus Faggins was horrible. He did his best Philip Buchanon impression there. He had the best shot at stopping the guy, but he makes a weak effort to strip the ball instead.

#32 Fred Bennett barely even ran. He must've been shell shocked, slow to figure out what was going on.

And not a single Texans player seemed to notice that THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A KICKER IN THE BACKFIELD!!

Epitome of keystone cops on that play.

Bob McNair

Waterboy
1. 1st quarter, doesn't call a time out to get proper personnel on the field. Result: A ridiculous TD that will be played on sports shows all week...
Wrong. Am I the only person who saw the play before the TD?

1. Turning down the holding penalty the play before the fake punt TD. Would have made it 3rd and 19 instead of 4th and 4. Any half-arse (I know, I know) defense would have made it 4th and too long to run a fake.

2. 1st quarter, doesn't call a time out to get proper personnel on the field. Result: A ridiculous TD that will be played on sports shows all week.

3,4,5,6,etc. Refusing to tackle David Garrard.

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
yes Kubiak could have taken a few shots into the end zone...if he had a sack.

its obvious he plays not to lose and doesnt play to win. they had time to run 2 plays before they kicked the field goal but they decided to run a lame 'i give up' running play and then let the clock tick down....

...and frankly, they got what they deserved. an OT loss. you can't play for OT on the road when your defense hasn't even stopped them in like 6 drives....but such is the wisdom of Kubiak, praise be unto him the infallable

What I am proposing isn't a do-or-die situation at the end of the game. I am not saying that. I am saying you try to win the game before you decide to go for the OT. They were happy to make it into OT and deserved to lose because of that. Take your chances...but that would necessitate having a coach with balls...and we all know Gary is only good for lame excuses, boring coachspeak, and uninspired teams.

KUBIAK MUST GO!!

fwiw - i bring lots of positive thoughts and credit those who deserve it but after this 0-3 start and the coaching mistakes...what is there to be happy about besides maybe Schaub stepping up amidst criticism. and we are staring 2-14 in the face.

LET THE 2009 NFL DRAFT TALK BEGIN!!

dskillz

Waterboy
Calling timeout would have removed the element of surprise and the Jags would have backed out of the fake. They would've either punted or ran a play with their offense. Kubiak's response proves that he doesn't get it.

I am starting to think Kubiak might not be head coach material. Maybe Shannahan is as smart as he thinks he is and Kubiak just rode those coattails to a head coaching job. So many obvious calls he doesn't make. Time management is terrible and he doesn't seem to "get it".

beerlover

Hall of Fame
i hope your right. to win 8 games this year would be a minor miracle all things considered
Miracle is for sure :thinking: looking forward only 3 games look like wins with 4 games up for grabes. the Texans would have to win all those & throw in an upset win over one of these teams- Colts, Titans, Vikings, or Packers

Sun. 5 COLTS L resign Dayne?
Sun. 12 DOLPHINS E could go either way
Sun. 19 LIONS W could be the first win?
Sun. 26 BENGALS W Texans on a roll two or three game winning streak
Sun. 2 @ Vikings L too much AD, maybe he's hurt
Sun. 9 RAVENS E might be giving Texans too much credit
Sun. 16 @ Colts L see first game against Manning
Sun. 23 @ Browns E don't fare well in Ohio
Mon. 1 JAGUARS E revenge?
Sun. 7 @ Packers L don't see it unless Rogers is hurt
Sun. 14 TITANS L fighting for playoff seeding
Sun. 21 @ Raiders W finish on a positive note

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
Miracle is for sure :thinking: looking forward only 3 games look like wins with 4 games up for grabes. the Texans would have to win all those & throw in an upset win over one of these teams- Colts, Titans, Vikings, or Packers

yeah, it looks pretty rough. this is shaping up to be a 2005 type year if things dont change fast. remember in 2005 when even the most ardent fans had to contemplate the benefits of losing over winning in the 'Race for Reggie Bush'...could that Raiders game be for the #1 pick overall? geez, i sure hope not.

Last edited:

Porky

Hall of Fame
We have played three games so far, and in each one, Kubes has had his ass handed to him by the opposing HC. The same goes for Richard Smith. Shanahan I am trying to figure out if he is a figure head with a learners permit, or if he has a full license and is trying to drive this jalopy by himself, so can't comment there, but there was a rumor he just bought his first razor.

Face it, Kubes is in over his head. A DC with rocks for brains, an OC still needing to be changed and burped, total game mismanagement of everything from Timeouts to the clock to play calling, to fourth downs and everything in between, and we are surprised we are 0-3?

Hell, to me its a testiment to the players that with a play or there, we could easily be 2-1. The coaching needs to change for the better, and in a hurry, or I would send every single one to the unemployment line.

utahmark

markbeth
keep making excuses...par for the course around here since 2002

we played not to lose. is there even a debate about that? you take a few shots in the endzone to try and win the freaking game. our defense is such that you can't count on them to do anything but lose football games for us....which they did, thank you very much.

KUBIAK MUST GO!!
i dont think any coach in the league would go for a td to win the game when you havent even got into decent field goal range to tie the game.(and there is not enough time to do both) so when we get rid of kubes we are going to have to find some maniac, drug addict, dope smoking, fool, that will do some of the crazy stuff you want our coaches to do. maybe adam sandler, hes a pretty wild guy.

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
i dont think any coach in the league would go for a td to win the game when you havent even got into decent field goal range to tie the game.(and there is not enough time to do both) so when we get rid of kubes we are going to have to find some maniac, drug addict, dope smoking, fool, that will do some of the crazy stuff you want our coaches to do. maybe adam sandler, hes a pretty wild guy.
haha, dude that was funny. seriously. im not saying that we need some loose cannon at HC but were the Texans, its not like we have had a lot of luck in OT historically. Come on Gary, be a man. I am just saying that we could have taken a shot or two into the end zone and if you don't get the TD you can still kick the 52 yarder to go into OT. They were afraid of turning the ball over. You have to be confident. Take your shot or two and then kick the long field goal if it doesn't work out. To not run the play in fear of throwing a pick or fumbling is just weak. If you lose, you lose. They had the timeout and wasted it on a 4ish yard run to make the FG easier.

This isn't the NHL. You don't get points for pushing the game into OT. Moral victories are for losers. With the current NFL overtime rules, going into OT anywhere much less on the road is a dubious proposition at best. Go for the win. We hadn't stopped them one time since halfway through the 2nd Quarter. We owed it to the team to try and win the game and not just play to not lose.

Most coaches on the road would have taken at least one shot into the end zone after the big play to AJ especially with a timeout in hand.

Last edited:

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
keep making excuses...par for the course around here since 2002

we played not to lose. is there even a debate about that? you take a few shots in the endzone to try and win the freaking game. our defense is such that you can't count on them to do anything but lose football games for us....which they did, thank you very much.

KUBIAK MUST GO!!
Who do you want instead? Cower? Linehan? Who? Fire him now and turn the team over to who...?

BigBull17

Hall of Fame

Slow down, the Fish beat a Brady less Pats. Dont go all crazy with them. The Dolphins arent a good team. We arent playing well right now, but we aare better than them.
Seriously, if we play the same way the rest of the season, we will win at least 8. We punched a physical team in the mouth over and over in their home. Our D got beat, but we laid hit after hit.

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
Who do you want instead? Cower? Linehan? Who? Fire him now and turn the team over to who...?
well getting Cowher would be an utter coup if we could pull that one off. early word is the Lions are gonna go after him strong and Carolina, which was always his most likely destination, isn't looking likely now because Fox looks to have righted the Panthers sitting at 3-1 on top of their division. Barring a collapse by Carolina, I think Cowher is going to be available and ready to talk to some teams.

Why not? What has Kubiak shown to keep him over possibly hiring a great coach like Cowher. I just don't see how Kubiak is going to somehow turn into a good coach.

Was his deal 4 year? If so, the organization will have to make a big decision this offseason either way. Do they let Kubiak go into 2009 as a lameduck coach on his last year (what good DC is going to want to come into that situation) or do they resign him and give him the dreaded Texans vote of confidence ala Carr's maximum extension?

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Our defense couldn't stop a half ass QB and a wounded offensive line from getting 30 points. What are they going to do when we face a real offense?

Our offense looks like it can compete in most games, based just on what we saw against the Jags. Based on what they've done as a collective unit for three games, I don't see where we are in much better shape on that side of the line either.

Blake

MMQB
I dont think there is anything wrong with Kubiak. I think he is a good talent evaluator and a good overall coach. I think the main issue we can all agree on is our defense. Now if its the scheme, DC, front 7 or secondary, that is yet to be decided.

I personally think that its a little from Richard Smith's scheme/play calling, and a little from the poor secondary.

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
Slow down, the Fish beat a Brady less Pats. Dont go all crazy with them. The Dolphins arent a good team. We arent playing well right now, but we aare better than them.
You are making the HUGE assumption that the Texans are better than the 'Brady less Pats'.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
You are making the HUGE assumption that the Texans are better than the 'Brady less Pats'.

He said the texans are better then the FINS not the pats

iam not sleeping on the Pats there still the same team that went 19-0 last year minus brady

Mailman

Pwned by Hakeem
I dont think there is anything wrong with Kubiak. I think he is a good talent evaluator and a good overall coach.
Agreed, but Kubiak needs to learn how to manage the game. His recent blunders have cost the team opportunities to win two very difficult road games against division foes. His refusal to call timeout and challenge that bullspit McCareins catch that wasn't allowed the Titans a gimme putt for a game-changing touchdown at a point in the game when the Texans defense had begun to shut down the Titans offense. The timeout that wasn't called yesterday on the fake punt gave the Jags an inexcusably easy six points on a play that never should've worked. If he does a better job, the Texans win at least one of those games.

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
He said the texans are better then the FINS not the pats

iam not sleeping on the Pats there still the same team that went 19-0 last year minus brady
The meaning of what he said was that the Dolphins beating the Pats is no indication they could beat the Texans. This implies the Texans are a tougher team to beat.

I do not think he meant to say the Pats are better than the Texans, but on any given Sunday yada yada yada.

GP

Go Texans!
haha, dude that was funny. seriously. im not saying that we need some loose cannon at HC but were the Texans, its not like we have had a lot of luck in OT historically. Come on Gary, be a man. I am just saying that we could have taken a shot or two into the end zone and if you don't get the TD you can still kick the 52 yarder to go into OT. They were afraid of turning the ball over. You have to be confident. Take your shot or two and then kick the long field goal if it doesn't work out. To not run the play in fear of throwing a pick or fumbling is just weak. If you lose, you lose. They had the timeout and wasted it on a 4ish yard run to make the FG easier.

This isn't the NHL. You don't get points for pushing the game into OT. Moral victories are for losers. With the current NFL overtime rules, going into OT anywhere much less on the road is a dubious proposition at best. Go for the win. We hadn't stopped them one time since halfway through the 2nd Quarter. We owed it to the team to try and win the game and not just play to not lose.

Most coaches on the road would have taken at least one shot into the end zone after the big play to AJ especially with a timeout in hand.
Because....you might get an interference call on a DB trying to stop the reception. That puts the ball near the goal line and it stops the clock.

I wonder what would have happened if Schaub had thrown the ball at Slaton's feet instead of completed it to him for what, a 3 or 4-yard gain and the clock rolls off how many seconds?

Don't get me wrong, it was clutch to get into FG range with only one timeout. Giving credit on that one.

But, there's some game management issues with Kubiak, a wide array of them over a long span of time.

People say it's easy to pull the "FIRE _____ NOW!!!" card, but it's just as easy to always be the one calling for calm and cool heads to prevail.

Rick Smith faces his toughest challenge yet: Does he man-up and convince McNair to consider other routes for HC, or does he and McNair give Kubiak the extension after this year?

I've been saying for awhile now, I think it was even back in the latter part of last season and then into the off-season, that Kubiak is a guy who stopped the bleeding and sets up the next guy who comes in as HC. Whoever comes in as HC will have such a better group of talent to work with than Kubiak did.

I think a lot of people sympathize with Kubiak: To get the team looking sorta' OK, but to then possibly get it yanked away from him, some fans see that as being cruel or unfair or unnecessary.

Look, I think it's time our owner sees that he can't be overly loyal to anybody: Not to a QB, not to a HC, nobody. He's got to see that you give a guy his chances, and then you try another route.

I just don't see Kubiak being a HC that breaks through a ceiling that's hard to break through already. If he is going to, with this team and in this era of its existence, he needs to be able to call a timeout when its needed or he's gotta pull the challenge flag when he has one and NOT throwing the flag means the ball is now on the 3-yard-line.

LOL. Gary is getting smacked around on the challenge flags he's thrown AND the ones he's not thrown. He's snake-bitten, it seems.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
Just watched the replay of the fake punt. Well there was no fake about it, but whatever you want to call it. If I was the owner and I heard Kubiak say that he thought we were going to "stuff the play" I would fire him on spot. Look at our goddamn players. They have NO IDEA what is going on. I see 2 MAYBE 3 guys who understand that the Jaguars are not punting the ball.

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
great post, GP. why not spend the extra money on coaching? when assembling a coaching staff its not what you know, its who you know...Cowher would take a boatload of money and Rick Smith may not survive any such move, but it would be worth it. Cowher still has a good decade left in the tank especially after recharging his batteries. Cowher teams always pay attention to detail and are well prepared and fired up....things that Kubiak seems to struggle with.

GP

Go Texans!
great post, GP. why not spend the extra money on coaching? when assembling a coaching staff its not what you know, its who you know...Cowher would take a boatload of money and Rick Smith may not survive any such move, but it would be worth it. Cowher still has a good decade left in the tank especially after recharging his batteries. Cowher teams always pay attention to detail and are well prepared and fired up....things that Kubiak seems to struggle with.
The one thing that has me worried about Cowher: He had a FOOTBALL legacy fanbase there in Pittsburgh; a team that has always been blue-collar and has a rabid home game environment that is absolutely electrifying each time. An ownership that knew what they were doing.

How would he do here, where the buzz and cultural climate is not the same as in Pittsburgh?

Would Cowhere be motivated enough to realllly grind it out and produce a winner, or would it be like Jimmy Johnson in Miami--A situation where a guy had the goods and won a lot of playoff games (and rings) but just was past the point of laying it all ot on the line. Again.

I dunno. For some reason, I just think Kubiak stays. He'll get the extension, he'll get another draft and probably spend heavy on defense. I think the "rub" will be that Kubiak says he needs better defense and better defensive coaching staff, probably axing most of the D-coaches IMO.

The Chin? Not sure it happens...

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Just watched the replay of the fake punt. Well there was no fake about it, but whatever you want to call it. If I was the owner and I heard Kubiak say that he thought we were going to "stuff the play" I would fire him on spot. Look at our goddamn players. They have NO IDEA what is going on. I see 2 MAYBE 3 guys who understand that the Jaguars are not punting the ball.
The guys covering the gunner didn't start running full speed till their back was on the 20 yard line. No way that the bulk of the team was aware of what was going on.
watch the two Texans players at the bottom of the screen...they are JOGGING till about the 20 yardline and passively watching the other players take swipes at the ball like this is some kind of a training camp drill. If I saw that on my team some heads would roll....unbelievably pathetic. This would never happen on well coached teams.

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
watch the two Texans players at the bottom of the screen...they are JOGGING till about the 20 yardline and passively watching the other players take swipes at the ball like this is some kind of a training camp drill. If I saw that on my team some heads would roll....unbelievably pathetic. This would never happen on well coached teams.
Actually they were jogging with the gunner still trying to block him, their backs were to the play until the ball carrier was on the 25 when they finally figured out what the heck was going on. No one seemed to have clue except the front 4 and they got blocked into the secondary.

Blake

MMQB
So why would Kubiak assume we are going to stuff the play? The result of the play makes him sound like a buffoon.

Either Kubiak really did think that 7 players were going to stuff a team with 10 run blockers, or he is just trying to cover a missed call by the staff.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
So why would Kubiak assume we are going to stuff the play? The result of the play makes him sound like a buffoon.

Either Kubiak really did think that 7 players were going to stuff a team with 10 run blockers, or he is just trying to cover a missed call by the staff.
yep, that's what I see. If the team was set to stuff the run then we wouldn't have had doubled their gunners....and those guys were asleep. They didn't start to run to the ball till the ball was at the 20 yard line.

spurstexanstros

Texans Rising
Who out there is better than Kubiak?

All you Port A people....Jimmy is not gonna come out of retirement to help out his home town team. If he didnt last time he was asked he is not going to this time.

Cowher.... nope aint gonna happen. Gp said it best.

Herm Edwards....when he gets fired... why?

I can hear UT fans say lets get Mack.....and then you want to trade for Vince and its glory for UT errr the Texans. Yeah , but no thanks

Kubiak is our guy, He has improved the team every year he has been here. There is no one else out there.

Maybe they will hire Matt Millen, or one of the posters. I wonder how many of the posters think they could do a better job?hmmmmm

Blake

MMQB
yep, that's what I see. If the team was set to stuff the run then we wouldn't have had doubled their gunners....and those guys were asleep. They didn't start to run to the ball till the ball was at the 20 yard line.
Do you feel that Faggins should be reprimanded for his effort on that play? Like you said, he didnt notice the runner till 20 yards down, then went for a pathetic strip on a FB instead of going for the tackle giving up a TD.

Not trying to play the what if game, but you stop their offense and maybe you have a shot at keeping them to 3 points, or a random turnover.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Do you feel that Faggins should be reprimanded for his effort on that play?
We need to get some football players in here and get rid of the athletes that have little or no football instinct. Also, the coaches have done a poor job coaching the players if they think that jogging towards the ball and watching the other players try to make a play is an acceptable practice on a NFL team.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame

All you Port A people....Jimmy is not gonna come out of retirement to help out his home town team. If he didnt last time he was asked he is not going to this time.

I can hear UT fans say lets get Mack.....and then you want to trade for Vince and its glory for UT errr the Texans. Yeah , but no thanks

Kubiak is our guy, He has improved the team every year he has been here. There is no one else out there.

Maybe they will hire Matt Millen, or one of the posters. I wonder how many of the posters think they could do a better job?hmmmmm
This is hilarious that you think a guy that has never had a winning season as a head coach in the NFL is better than any other candidate on the planet. You've got no idea what affect other coaches could possibly have on the players, but you automatically assume that this Kubiak guy is above the rest just because he was a hot name when he got him from Denver. There are always a ton of candidates out there that are capable of being a good head coach. The challenge is finding the best one for what you've currently got. There are also a ton of coordinators that get high reputations and try to become head coaches and aren't successful. Finding the guy that gets your players prepared to play each week and for each match up with the right staff is the key. The players have to buy in and respond consistently.

And where has any Longhorn fans suggested that we hire Mack Brown to become the head coach? I don't even think die hard Longhorn fans are crazy enough to think that Mack could be a good head coach in the NFL. That would be ridiculous.

dickieb

Waterboy
It was nice to see that we went to half time with all 3 timeouts - nothing like good game management. I mean who would want to waste them on a fake punt - we had it covered with good personnel on the field - calling a timeout there would have just been silly.

GP

Go Texans!

I think Cowher would run circles around Kubiak, but I don't think Cowher would come here. And even if he did, the set-up is against his nature...Pittsburgh ain't Houston, and I mean that in terms of ownership.

The environment is too sterile and corporate PC for Cowher.

Just wondering: Was Dick Lebeau available as a DC candidate for the Texans when we hired Richard Smith? Just wondering...

spurstexanstros

Texans Rising
This is hilarious that you think a guy that has never had a winning season as a head coach in the NFL is better than any other candidate on the planet. You've got no idea what affect other coaches could possibly have on the players, but you automatically assume that this Kubiak guy is above the rest just because he was a hot name when he got him from Denver. There are always a ton of candidates out there that are capable of being a good head coach. The challenge is finding the best one for what you've currently got. There are also a ton of coordinators that get high reputations and try to become head coaches and aren't successful. Finding the guy that gets your players prepared to play each week and for each match up with the right staff is the key. The players have to buy in and respond consistently.

And where has any Longhorn fans suggested that we hire Mack Brown to become the head coach? I don't even think die hard Longhorn fans are crazy enough to think that Mack could be a good head coach in the NFL. That would be ridiculous.
and you would recommend, who for the job? I believe that was my point.
Kubiak has improved the Texans record every year he has been here. i am sorry that it has not been rapid as other teams, but I see a completly different team than under capers. Wh o is out there?
i mentioned mack because I know some of you UT fans have it saved up and ready if there is an opening.

Who other than Kubiak? Cowher wouldnt come here. I think we all agree on that. So who? I dont think labeau was available for defense , becausewasnt that the year they won superbowl?

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame

I think you're way too narrow in your list of candidates. Mike Singletary, Russ Grimm, a bunch of hot OCs and DCs, etc.

But, I'm fine with Kubiak for now. I just want the defense fixed.

Trail.Blazr

Hooked up to a Kool-Aid IV
I'll throw my hat in the ring. Why not..

-At worst, I can watch Kerry Collins rush down the field showing the "spike it" signal, and never throw the flag.
-At worst, I'll not call timeout, rather than opt to defend a run play with my punt return unit.
-I can go for it on 4th n whatever

Look, I believe Kub's knows football, don't get me wrong. I would never suggest I'm a better option than him with any real sincerity, but here's a thought:

The texans could be 2-1 right now if it weren't for some bonehead calls during the game. More importantly 2-0 in the division.

I personally believe that Last season, properly managed, Rob Bironas should have been 1 FG shy of setting the FG record. Instead, we don't go 9-7, and miss a possible playoff birth.

This IS the NFL and last I checked, the room for error is minimal and when it does happen, they are magnified. Should Kub's be under the microscope? Hell Yes! That's the way the cookie crumbles. There should be little tolerance for sideline mistakes that translate winning records to 0-fers'.

I think a coach is marked when he loses the team's confidence. I don't know where that line is. However, it's clear that he's lost the confidence of more than a few fans in here right now. Kub's better thank god we don't actually suit up. But then again, I'm betting nobody on the team likes being 0-3 right now.

Silver Oak

All Pro
did someone actually mention Mack Brown? (45 second delay for hearty belly laugh)

HPD just grimaced in anticipation of a Mack Brown coaching gig here.

texanchris

Waterboy
:smiliepalm: From a long time ago but the same issues then are happening now. They were even talking about Cowher back then. Maybe can use this thread to talk about Kubiaks numerous mistakes that will happen for the rest of the season.