Kubiak does not commit to starting Slaton Sunday.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Astew10112, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Astew10112

Astew10112 Rookie

ESPN NFL: Texans coach does not commit to starting RB for Sunday. Steve Slaton, Ryan Moats and Chris Brown will all play.

Just received this text from ESPN.

Thoughts?

2. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Nor should he. A this point Moats has proven that he can play pretty big himself and he hasn't fumbled a whole lot. I still think that Slaton will get a lot of carries and he should as well. I've got no problem with seeing a committee with Slaton and Moats for the rest of the season as long as Moats can still keep playing at a high level.

The only thing I don't like is that fact that Chris Brown is still somehow in this picture. I'd rather sign Edge for nothing than to keep Chris Brown on this roster. Chris Brown just needs to go.

3. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I think he should start Moats and go with platooning the RBs. Give Moats the benefit of a stellar game and send a signal to Slaton. But I'm fine with whatever Kubiak chooses, because it's what he thinks will be best for the team to win this game.

4. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Probably wants to see all 3 Thursday and Friday.

5. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Sounds like a plan. I'd like to see Moats in the backfield and Slaton split wide and see how the Colts D reacts to the formation. If you don't cover Slaton & he gets the ball in open space = huge gains or TD.

6. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

correction

If you don't cover Slaton & he gets the ball in open space = fumble lol

7. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Slaton and Moats should be splitting carries 50/50. Chris Brown should be handing out gatorade.

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Kubiak needs to get the idea of "Starter" out of the minds of the RBs. If I were Kubiak, I'd come out & say so publicly, then announce Chris Brown as our Starter for Sunday's game.

through the first 15 or 20 snaps, he should have an idea of who will get which carries & when. From there, who ever is hot gets the carries.

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Yep, the story should be how does Shanahan get both Moats and Slaton more touches. Slaton has fumbilitis, but he is a weapon that a playoff contending team needs to have on the field.

10. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I don't want to see Slaton touch the ball on the Texans side of the field. Therefore, no start.

11. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Yeah.
    Tell ESPN to mind their own damned business. They dissed and ignored us for years. Screw 'em.
    :foottap:

12. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

All this "bury Slaton at the bottom of the depth chart" talk sounds an
    awful lot like the anti-Jacoby threads last year. Guess what..
    The coaches didn't give up on Jacoby, and he's a borderline
    superstar. They're not gonna give up on Slaton, either. No matter
    what knee-jerk fans say.

Hell. Add Amobi Okoye's name to the sophomore slump list.
    All three of those cats sucked ass during their second years.
    It seems to be more than a coincidence. Support those guys.

13. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

people are going to be stunned with how outstandingly mediocre ryan moats is when he isn't playing the crappiest run defense in the nfl. I'm already looking forward to the end of all of this 50/50 split crap.

RTP2110 likes this.
  14. GP

GP Go Texans!

LOL.

Word.

15. Sal Rosenberg

Sal Rosenberg All Pro

Where is the Danye train?

16. cj5776

cj5776 Veteran

IMHO, Slaton will be a lot more relaxed if he came off the bench. Give him a few screen passes to warm him up. Plus Moats has earned a least one start. Lets see what he can do. Lets use Salton as a weapon off the bench until his confidence comes back.

17. GP

GP Go Texans!

Dude, it doesn't matter. Whatever/whoever gets the job done. That's my take.

Plus, Ryan Moats is good. When Steve was lolly-gaggin' around at the first of this season, trying to get back into the groove of running the ball, Moats was out there getting yards for us.

Slaton has shown a trend for going through peaks and valleys with the fumbling. In college, he dropped the ball a lot. Last year, he went a long streak before dropping the ball. Now, he's going through a long streak of dropping the ball.

I don't know when he's going to snap out of it. But we're 5-3, facing the Colts, and we better not have ANYBODY put the ball on the ground. Period.

18. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

He hasn't fumbled yet. I'll grant you that. I'm not willing to grant that he is good or even on par with Steve after 38 carries. Its a tiny sample size. And there is no denying that you can't have a better team to run against then buffalo.

19. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

Slaton"s work load will be reduced, like it or not.

20. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I said nothing about burying him at the bottom of the chart. I said I don't want to see him touch the ball on the Texans side of the field. He's demonstrated that he can't be trusted to hold on to the ball. I agree he needs more opportunities, but those opps need to be in lower risk situations.

I don't disagree with that. Moats is just Moats, nothing special. Anyone can have a good game. However, he does something that Slaton hasn't done at all this year, and that's hit the holes fast and hard. Notice how much better the OL looks when Slaton is in there? That's not because they dislike Slaton. Add in the fumble problem, and I'm off the wagon. I'll take a steady 3 yards a pop and no fumbles over Slaton's inconsistent gains and turnovers - at least until Slaton works out the fumble problem.