Kubiak confirms Tate Number one RB.....

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by prostock101, Sep 19, 2011.

1. prostock101

prostock101 Mr. Big

....for now. Foster fantasy owners collectively crap their pants.....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/19/kubiak-confirms-that-ben-tate-is-lead-back-for-now/

Ben Tate’s fast start to the season has earned him a promotion, at least for now.

If Sunday’s game wasn’t proof enough, coach Gary Kubiak confirmed that Tate will take more of the workload in the coming weeks rather than Arian Foster. Tate has 219 yards in two weeks.

“[Tate is] playing really well,” Kubiak said in comments distributed by the team. “As we work Arian back into what we’re doing and get him back to full speed, Ben’s going to probably carry most of the load right now as we work forward with Arian.”

This is what’s called a good problem. It remains to be seen whether the Texans will rest Foster until he’s truly 100%, but Kubiak didn’t suggest that would happen.

The Texans traditionally don’t use a running back committee. Instead, they may just use Tate and Foster as lead backs at different points in the season. That’s disappointing for Foster’s fantasy owners, but a nice luxury to have for Houston.

2. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

**** fantasy football.

3. MEGA SWATT

MEGA SWATT Hall of Fame

Arian, is that you?

agreed btw.

4. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

I now fully expect Foster to get 20+ carries this week while Tate will get fewer than 15. :fingergun:

thunderkyss likes this.
  5. TheEastwood

TheEastwood Veteran

As someone who got Ben Tate off the waiver wire last week, I fully support this coaching decision.

6. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

I own both. I just know that whichever I bench will have 3+ TDs...

7. Air Canada

Air Canada Veteran

I grabbed Tate as my 2nd back on draft day cuz well.... You could say I had a feeling... so his 1st two games have worked out for the Texans and me nicely... :fans:

8. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

Arian Foster's hammy must be twitching as he reads this thread :ahhaha:

For the Texans this is the right decision, Tate is the guy who's proven to get the yards at this point, until Arian is fit to go he'll need to play a limited role, I'd say he should be rested fully myself, but whether Kubiak feels he can do that is another matter.

If we get through the next 3 or 4 weeks without Arian, that will pay dividends come playoff time when we'll be needing him at his best.

I don't know if anyone else has spent years being all jealous of teams like Carolina who've had two great running backs? Well this is how it feels and we should feel very proud of being in that situation, years gone by, we've had Ron Dayne playing, fcuking up Left Tackle's as he goes because of our lack of depth.

9. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Let's just hope the Texans are "smart" with their decision making....

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I expect Ogbonnaya to be called up.

Or Ward to be activated.

11. Scooter

Scooter Funky

call me crazy, but i want to see more of slaton. the last time slaton wasnt on every team's radar he rushed for 1200+ yards and was a major homerun threat. he's motioned to WR for a pair of touchdowns, is our biggest weapon on draws and screens, and is a strong pass blocker as well. slaton IS our best 3rd down back. i dont mind that kubiak's training tate on the job when we're ahead - but it's riskier than i personally like. tate was responsible for one sack (jason taylor) against the dolphins and limits us similar to vonta leach vs james casey on passing downs.

12. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

He's been very blah the carries he's gotten against Indy and MIA. Right now I'd be starting Tate as well, the guy has earned his accolades and has looked good running against a bad defense, and what's probably going to end up being a decent (but not great) defense. Right now there's just a big drop off from Tate/Foster to Ward and then a Grand Canyon like gap between Ward and Slaton.

13. Scooter

Scooter Funky

tate's got the rock certainly, but it's hard to call slaton "blah" on only 3 carries. i'm in no way suggesting that slaton get even a split workload, he's still a 3rd stringer at best. i am saying however that on medium and long 3rd downs he is an infinitely better fit for our offense than tate or ward, as well as less of a liability (possibly even a strength) as a blocker. remembered is the fumbles, forgotten is slaton turning a simple screen into 6 because he went from zero to "adios" before the defensive backs could react. dude's a weapon, much like jacoby jones ... i'd like to see us use him as such.

14. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

As far as I can tell Tate is an adequate pass blocker on 3rd downs and can catch the ball out of the backfield. I don't think there is anything that Slaton does better than Tate right now that would warrant him seeing consistent time on any down and distance.

Use him to give Tate a breather, but don't expect him to do anything is what I'm seeing.

15. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

I don't care who's running the ball or how many carries whoever gets. I want our coaching staff to be smart enough to let our players heal when they need to heal and keep our RB's fresh enough to be effective at any point during a game. I'm sure Arian Foster's not happy about being injured, but he doesn't seem like the kind of person who'd hate on Tate for keeping things rolling while he recovers.

And...I really hope that despite the injury our front office rewards Foster nicely with a good contract at some point this season. I'd rather have a two headed RB monster of Foster and Tate next season than not.

16. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

The WAIVER wire??
    Do the people in your league even WATCH football??

17. Scooter

Scooter Funky

that's where i disagree. tate can certainly hit folks and he can block, but i wouldnt call him a good blocker. he directly lead to atleast 1 sack in the miami game in what looked like a rookie moment, which is what he is. tate simply doesnt and wont have the reads and nuances down in the immediate future. right now slaton is probably our best pass blocking back.

as for catching out of the backfield, to even compare the two is silly. it's a james casey vs vonta leach arguement. vonta didnt drop a pass and did his job leaking out, but he was never a real target while casey is a slot receiver. slaton as a dump and screen receiver requires inside man contain or else he's gifted 15+, and he's the only real threat to motion to WR1 or WR2. tate is a base curl who may truck a linebacker.

18. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

If we don't someone in the NFL will. That UDFA contract can't last much longer.

19. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Maybe Kubes has a Portis-style trade up his sleeve. Trade Foster for an elite defensive player

20. Scooter

Scooter Funky

foster is similarly a perfect fit for our offense and in his early prime, and i'll catch hell for saying it, but that wouldnt hurt my feelings if we did such a deal. we arent looking for a DB, but if we could land an all pro DT or OT like denver got with champ, i wouldnt think twice.