Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak: Collin Klein will get a chance at QB @ rookie minicamp

OilerTexan

Practice Squad
I like that the Texans are taking a good long look at him just like they are with Keenum. Every time one of these guys is mentioned someone ends up posting a condescending comment about unrealistic UH fans (rmartin65 got his in first today) but really it seems like if you aren't getting in line to comment on how poor the odds are for these guys then you're portrayed as some unrealistic Cougar fan.

Like most of the people who comment about these things I'm just happy they are giving them a look. It's a good thing that the Texans are looking through the UDFA's for overlooked players. They just might find one eventually. I like Case Keenum and I'd like to think there was more to him than meets the eye. I'm not delusional about his chances though.
I'm also glad they're looking at other QBs. It's inexpensive with a potential big payoff. The SF boards probably derided posters suggesting Kaepernick over Smith. I think we should look at guys with obvious advantages over Schaub: deep ball, mobility, run threat, ability to read/react to defences, youth.

Schaub getting only one rushing 1st down last season is crazy. Db's play Schaub differently now that they don't worry about a run or deep ball.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Over 50 posts about 5th string qb working during rookie camp...

... yep, it's the off-season

badboy

Hall of Fame
What is wrong with discussing a potential addition to our roster? Has Kubiak assigned Klein's pecking order?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
What is wrong with discussing a potential addition to our roster? Has Kubiak assigned Klein's pecking order?

Sorry, I forgot there was no levity allowed

geez, could be why I don't frequent this board much anymore

badboy

Hall of Fame
Sorry, I forgot there was no levity allowed

geez, could be why I don't frequent this board much anymore
Maybe you should use one of those humor icons because it came across as denigrating rather than humorous.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
not to me....
I thought it was amusing.
what was the denigrating part?
While I agree & thought it slightly amusing
Over 50 posts about 5th string qb working during rookie camp...

... yep, it's the off-season

I can understand badboy's reaction. This is a very important part of the season for some, the college football fans, the draftniks, and those who are emotionally "involved" with the development of this team, among others.

JB's comment comes across insulting, as if their interest are misporportionately applied to trivial matters.

50 posts is not a big deal, but it shows that their are people interested.

It takes all kinds to form a community.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
While I agree & thought it slightly amusing

[/size]
I can understand badboy's reaction. This is a very important part of the season for some, the college football fans, the draftniks, and those who are emotionally "involved" with the development of this team, among others.

JB's comment comes across insulting, as if their interest are misporportionately applied to trivial matters.

50 posts is not a big deal, but it shows that their are people interested.

It takes all kinds to form a community
True enough. It would be totally boring if we all agreed all the time.
but there's no likelihood of that.
:D

ubecool454

Veteran
QB is the most coveted & premium position in NFL that drives ticket sales wins & losses. His winning percentage speaks for itself & his marriage to super hot wife Shalin Klein
cements in my view his winning approach in mulitple facets. His working with former Bronco & Kubiak fav Jake Plummer also a not so strange twist http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22612023/jake-plummer-has-found-football-again. Looking at his completion average it's not as bad as some people here are making it out to be 64.8%. 197/248, 2641 yards 16 TD's to 9 INT's. But obviously what he does best is avoid the rush. Bad match-up for Ducks who have faced dominant QB's in each of last three bowl appearances, Cam Newton (6-5 248) Terrelle Pryor (6-4 244) Russell Wilson they defeated/contained (5-10 203) then Collin Klein (6047 226) who they forced to beat them with his arm. This is what most people remember, forget his front running Heisman hopes prior to end of season collapse. He possess great vision & feel for the pocket. Sure he is more a thrower than a passer who hesitates in his delivery into tight windows but players respond to him, he can create & if Plummer/Kubiak can simplify his release he could be at least a serviceable back-up, giving Texans something they never had a running QB.
David Carr was a running QB lol

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Yeah, running for his life because of a nonexistent OL and horrible OC.
No matter what OL you put in front of Tony Romo, it's going to look suspect, because of the way Romo handles himself in the pocket. The biggest difference between Carr & Romo, is that Carr had a somewhat decent running game & a hall of fame WR (maybe), but still couldn't consistently manage scoring drives.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Undrafted free agent Collin Klein was originally one of the Texans most interesting picks of the 2013 campaign. Playing as a runner up in the Heisman Trophy contest a year ago, Klein stood a chance at making the Texans’ roster this season, but walked away from rookie mini-camp on Sunday empty handed.

In the end the decision came down to Gary Kubiak, who told Fox 26 that he liked what he saw out of Klein, but obviously not enough to give him a contract.

Throughout the lead up to the draft, Klein was urged to possibly switch positions to either running back, wide receiver or tight end, given his athleticism and strong footwork. Instead, Klein stayed stubborn and stuck to passing, and probably landed with the wrong team considering the Texans already have enough quarterbacks lining up for a spot on the roster.

Klein looks likely to stay true to his word and remain a quarterback. He’s on the search for another team, which normally leads to the Jets.
LINK

PapaL

Loose Screw
I'm glad Klein looked good and Gary had so many positive things to say about him...so much so that he's unemployed right now. WaWaWaaa

badboy

Hall of Fame
And if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. :cowboy1:
and just because she does not does not preclude something being done later. Seriously though, I do support BL's comment as Klein may not get any takers and agree to return here to another position if Gary agrees.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
and just because she does not does not preclude something being done later. Seriously though, I do support BL's comment as Klein may not get any takers and agree to return here to another position if Gary agrees.
When I read BLs comments I was thinking we still have to see if Keenum or McGee makes the 53.

I doubt we'll keep 4 QBs, so the only question is whether Kubiak feels good enough about Keenum/McGee to carry three on the 53 man roster. If not, then Keenum will have to pass waivers.

If Keenum shows up in the preseason like he's being built up to, chances are slim that he'll make it to the practice squad.

However, if he decides neither are good enough for the 53 I'm sure we'll reach out to Klien to go on the PS.

OT: If Kubiak decides not sign Keenum to the 53 & he makes it to the PS again, then we'll just have to come to terms with the fact that he is not the guy we want him to be.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
When I read BLs comments I was thinking we still have to see if Keenum or McGee makes the 53.

I doubt we'll keep 4 QBs, so the only question is whether Kubiak feels good enough about Keenum/McGee to carry three on the 53 man roster. If not, then Keenum will have to pass waivers.

If Keenum shows up in the preseason like he's being built up to, chances are slim that he'll make it to the practice squad.

However, if he decides neither are good enough for the 53 I'm sure we'll reach out to Klien to go on the PS.

OT: If Kubiak decides not sign Keenum to the 53 & he makes it to the PS again, then we'll just have to come to terms with the fact that he is not the guy we want him to be.
Very good, this is worth a response. Who's to preclude Texans from trading TJ if in fact Keenum impresses? I like Case, he fits in here, same cannot be said for TJ if it were one would think he would have received more reps, very disturbing am I right? Anyway Klein has vast potential. If I were an NFL guy he is worth some more development. The progress in rookie mini-camp was said to be impressive. His College record speaks for itself. Who is to say Kubiak who has developed Schaub to his limitations & aspiring Case cannot take a diamond in the rough like Colin & mold him into a better system QB than Cam Newton? They're about the same size. Similar skill set coming out of College yet Cam went #1 overall & made millions all Klein is just looking for an opportunity.

BL :wesmantexanfan:

My money would be on Chip Kelly to sign Klein, but give Kubiak credit for giving him opening gig. As a footnote I suppose? Just love his pocket security awareness, something golden in NFL.