Kubiak Assistant Info.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by bdiddy, Jan 6, 2006.

1. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

I am hearing that Elway is considering taking a consulting role if Kubiak is hired and possibly becoming the OC.

This is pure speculation, probably bull, but a friend from denver said this is what their beat writer is saying on talk radio. Of course if he is like John McClain, this is likely nonsense.

2. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Interesting. I would rather have him as like a QB's coach because style wise I see a lot of similarities between Carr and Elway.

3. daveebarb

daveebarb Rookie

I thought Elway on part of Denver NFL team.

4. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

well it makes sense in both fashions depending on how you read it. a little clarification is needed bdiddy, thanks

5. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Wasn't he a QB ?

6. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I love it when threads start out with, "This is pure speculation, probably bull, but..." :)

7. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

I live in the Denver area, and I doubt this VERY much. Elway has like 6 or 7 car dealerships that he owns and manages and he owns an AFL football team that he is very active with. Perhaps he would do it for awhile just as a favor for Gary. I think they are close.

8. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

They are close, thats the only reason I would even consider posting this. I think he could possible could be a consultant and work with Carr some during the preseason.

9. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

Interesting idea. I would be in favor of it.

10. GP

GP Go Texans!

This isn't too far from happening.

Nolan Ryan took a consulting role with the Astros. WHo wouldn't? You've got the second-best pitching staff in baseball (behind White Sox).

So it's not THAT much of a stretch to see Elway helping out Kubiak with a young QB like Carr who has a good arm and still has good potential.

Carr is on the edge of being Elway-esque. He can tuck the ball and run with it like Elway. He can fire it into receivers' hands like Elway. He just hasn't been able to read defenses and call his own shots like Elway did. And don't anybody peddle some bullcorn about how no NFL QB calls his own plays, and blah-blah-blah. Some do, and the ones that do are often the best in the business.

That would be awesome if this happens. And if it does, then we heard it here first.

11. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

I may be as big as an elephant, but my memory is not as good as an elephants. I never put Carr in the Elway mold until this post, but it does almost seem to fit.

12. GP

GP Go Texans!

When I see Leinart chugging down the field...when I see Kerry Collins chugging down the field...when I see most of the NFL's QBs chugging down the field....I always say to myself, "Man, Carr is so much better at scrambling than almost 85% of these other guys."

And when I see Carr;s footballs scream off a receiver's hands or get through the hands and ricochet off the receivers' chest because they couldn't close their hands around it fast enough, I say to myself, "Man, that's just like Favre."

He's just a natural bi-product of a very flawed coaching style. A style that has never allowed him to call plays until this year. And if I am not mistaken, he did pretty darn well when he did.

He's better than the Texans' record shows. Ain't perfect, but he's not as bad as he's being made out to be. That's my two cents.

13. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

Elway would probably be a good mentor for DC.

14. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

What I liked from that press conference recap was that Kubiak said that with some hard work he could bring Carr to the next level. I think he really likes him and sees a lot of potential. Bringing Elway in to help him would be a great idea.

15. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

There is no way in HELL that Carr is "Elway-esque". If that isn't a :homer: statement then I dont know what is. There will NEVER be another qb like Elway so get over that thought.

Im not saying Carr is bad, because he's not...yes he can scramble some but he'll never compare to Elway in either arm strength nor his scrambling abilities. Elway will forever be remembered as one of the all time greatest qb's in football history...there is now way Carr even compares or should be compared to him.

16. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I don't think calling Carr a poor man's Elway potentially is too far off of a statement.

17. GP

GP Go Texans!

"...there is now way Carr even compares or should be compared to him." -- sprtsfanatic

--------------------

Were you saying this about Elway BEFORE he finally won a title?

Because he won a title at the END of his career, not four years into it like Carr is at right now.

A little "perspective," please, when you throw out comments like this.

Elway would have loved to have had a guy like himself who could come in and help him get through the dry years. Because let me tell you, it was very dry before he broke through with those two titles at the end of his career.

Elway was probably much more scrutinized than Carr ever will be.

18. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

Yes, way before he won the two titles. So take a step back and dont compare the Broncos to the Texans when they won back to back suberbowls...compare Carr and Elway...isnt that what your statement was about to begin with???

Carr will never be like Elway whether he ever wins a sb title or not...Elway is Elway and Carr will be Carr. But no way in hell that Carr will ever be the quarter back that Elway was.

Just remember who made the number 7 so famous and popular....do you really think that Carr will make 8 just as famous and popular outside of Houston??? I dont think so.

19. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

To be honest we don't know how good Carr will be until he has proper coaching and a good supporting cast.

He was picked #1 for a reason. Obviously people thought that he had the potential to be something special. Could he be as good as Elway? Maybe. Could he be a disappointment? Maybe. We won't know until he is given a chance with a real coach and is protected.

20. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

:redtowel: Carr and Elway like peas and carrots . Elway was a top 10 rated player out of high school who's dad was a college coach . Elway can be seen on ESPN Classics often , with episodes as The Drive . Your right their both 6'3 .