Kubiak and Smith combine transcript

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by texanchris, Feb 26, 2011.

1. texanchris

texanchris Veteran

http://houston.sbnation.com/houston-texans/2011/2/26/2016960/nfl-combine-texans-head-coach-gary-kubiak-speaks-on-potentially

http://houston.sbnation.com/houston-texans/2011/2/26/2016939/nfl-combine-texans-gm-rick-smith-talks-earl-mitchell-as-3-4-nose

Some interesting things said. I dont believe that Mitchell could be our full time nose tackle. He would be good in passing rushing situation but i think thats about it. Hopefully they move glover quinn to free saftey and pick up a good cornerback in free agency but i dont know, Kubiak said they will probably still go young in secondary next year.:kubepalm:

76Texan likes this.
  2. Esoom

Esoom Veteran

I don't think he was saying "We will go young in the secondary next year". I think it was more of a, "No matter what we add, our secondary is still going to be really young." He did say they were trying to add veterans via FA though. I guess that's something to be optimistic about.

3. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

It's kinda weird when one says Quin was our best CB, and the other considers moving him to safety (with Wade's approval of course!)

You're gonna take your best CB and convert him to a safety???
    Very innovative!

Again, thanks to TXChris for the links!

4. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I disagree with the thinking that Earl Mitchell couldn't be a 1st and 2nd down nose. He's got the base for it and does a great job of playing as low as possible. He has NT tools and has way more upside at the position than Shaun Cody. I'm not saying you pencil Mitchell in as the guy for the next 10 years but I feel comfortable developing him in this role right now.

5. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Totally agree... I thought Glover was our best CB last year.

Personally, I'd like to see us sign a FA CB. Start him opposite Glover, and move Kareem to nickel. Hopefully Kareem will develop into a good CB, then KJ & GQ will be long term starters.

Then hopefully get a FS in the draft or FA.

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

That kid Sheppard had the base for a 3-4 NT.

Did we stash him back on the PS, or is he gone gone?

7. texanchris

texanchris Veteran

8. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

"stay true to our board, draft for need but don't reach for need" kinda stands out to me.

9. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Very Texans........

10. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Yep, that plan has been simply awesome to behold THUS far hasn't it? How about fighting for REALLY good guys in Free Agency for a change.

11. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Rick Smith brought up a name that I haven't heard or read anyone talk about on this board - Mark Anderson. How does that guy fit into the grand scheme of things?

Also looks like Earl Mitchell will be our NT. We read the names Dan Cody, and Earl Mitchell and how we may have to start out small at the NT position and then we read nothing of Amobi Okoye.

Lastly I would assume the Texans think Newton is going to fall to them. Don't be suprised if you read more about us looking interested in him. I think we are going to find a way to trade down by showing some interest in him. Especially with Vikings looking for a QB.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I've been saying we should go into next season thinking Mark Anderson should be our weakside Rush OLB. He's a tweener, looks very athletic, & I have no doubt he could be used like Demarcus Ware, rushing the QB on 99.9% of the downs.

Connor Barwin should be our back-up, considering he's coming off injury. If he's healthy enough to beat Mark Anderson out at that spot, then we've got something.

I wouldn't look to draft OLB until 4th round or later. Unless of course a bad-ass is there at 11.
    I think this is two fold. One, you don't want anyone to know you're looking for a NT in the first, if you're looking for a NT in the first. Saying that we can work with Mitchell or Cody (Shuan) could be no more than a smoke screen.

Second, penciling Mitchell/Cody in at this spot could be just to evaluate overall team needs. "If Mitchell/Cody is our NT, would investing in our secondary be more productive?" For all we know, they still see a zero at NT and feel it's our weekest position.

Amobi is definitely not a NT. He'll more than likely rotate at DE (which I think he's better at in a 3-4) even though he is "too short" (IMO).
    If we successfully convince other teams we are interested in Cam Newton, that makes the #10 spot more valuable. If we want him, why would we trade out of that position........ basically giving him away.

If Newton turns into a hot commodity, we need someone to believe Minnesota wants him. Then they'll approach us for a trade.

Think about the 2006 draft. Denver didn't trade with the team they thought wanted Jay Cutler. They traded with the team ahead of the team they thought wanted Jay Cutler.

13. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

It's been done very successfully in the past, see Rod Woodson. I think Quin moves IF we sign a veteran corner. There are some top shelf CBs available, guys that are better than GQ, and if we can grab one moving Quin to FS perhaps shores up 2 positions.

14. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The premise would be that Jackson will show a great deal of improvement. And he WOULD need a GREAT deal of improvement in order to be even functioning at the level that GQ was last year. Jackson's demonstrated deficiencies unfortunately were not limited to one or two factors.......it was his entire game..........certainly bringing in serious questions about his innate athletic AND football IQ limitations. If you get a "strong" CB, then the Jackson will be unmercifully tested. Seems like the type of miscalculated experiment that has screwed us repeatedly in the past. IMHO, it again has "failure" written all over it.

15. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

The off-season plan, I have no doubt, is to add a quality veteran at CB. There are going to be many available and Kubiak/McNair have acknowledged regret with their decision-making procss from last year. The question is, "when will the league allow free agent signings"

16. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

sometime after CBA is approved :peek:

17. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

C'mon now, get real. We're not going to get anybody to believe we're going to use our 1st round pick on a QB with the recent extension of Schaubs contract and our need to draft 3-4 players now with our teams transition this year to that defense.

18. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Having the draft before free agency (if any) is going to really jumble things up. This is going to be a situation where we take the best on the board, which could include any position of need, which would mean we'd probably take Cam Newton if he fell. It's going to be a very interesting draft.

19. Rey

Rey Guest

I don't think that him being the best corner means you can't move him. Especially not if you think that he can be an even better FS.

20. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

This all just reeks of incompetence, stupidity, and a commitment to nothing.

This franchise sucks. Other teams trying to get better while the Texans are just more than happy to dumpster dive for free agents and give the 'young guys' another chance. We all saw how well that worked out last year.

These guys suck. Period. And their record speaks for itself and makes it a fact.