Kubiak #13 in NFL.com's Coaches Power Rankings

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Clamp, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Clamp

Clamp Rookie

Just a little fodder for another slow day of offseason. They don't talk about Kubiak or the Texans, but what do people think of the ranking?

I look at all of the coaches ahead of him on the list and see 9 Super Bowl champions, and 3 other very successful Head Coaches. Mike Smith is the one with the lest time spent as HC but he is still very good. I don't particularly like being ranked even within 3 spots of Rex Ryan and the Jets, but that's more because I think he should be ranked lower. I can live with #13 for now, but I think if we do as well as we should do this season, and are expecting to do, then he should break into the top 10 next year.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000209545/Harrison-s-top-25-NFL-coaches

2. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I don't know enough about the other coaches around the NFL to intelligently rank Kubiak. IMO, he's a very good guy at the X and O level. I also think he connects with his players very well. I do not like his in-game management. His clock management is awful at times. His playcalling is brilliant at times, but stagnates and becomes too predictable when it matters most. He's gotten better at the challenge, thankfully. I also think he's the key figure responsible for the inability to come from behind, whether that be due to his player selection, play calling, or strategy. I frequently question his player selection and development in certain areas, as well as his ability to adapt to his players' strengths. Finally, I feel that he is, like many coaches, loyal to a fault. Richard Smith and Frank Bush were good examples of this, and Marciano may well be the latest example.

I don't think I have an issue with him being ranked #13. He's going to have to improve in order for the team to win a Super Bowl, but he's good enough that some might think he's capable of making that jump. I know people will point to his record over the past two years, but it doesn't mean much, really. The Oilers had seven straight seasons of a head coach putting up good win totals and that never even resulted in a conference championship game, much less a Super Bowl.

Again, JMO.

3. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I've got no problem with Kubiak at 13.

However, I have to disagree with the top of the list. Jim Harbaugh over Coughlin, the man with two rings already? I think Harbaugh could be considered top five for the last couple of seasons, but c'mon man, rings rings rings.

4. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Top guys should correlate with their QBs mostly, imo.

5. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

After the coaching job Arians did with the Colts last year, I don't see how he's ranked that low.

Kubiak's got to win more playoff games as an HC before he can move up much further than that.

6. bhsman

bhsman All Pro

Coughlin is #1 in leading teams to second-half season collapses, yes. :kitten:

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

1. Bill Belichick
    2. Jim Harbaugh
    3. John Harbaugh
    4. Tom Coughlin
    5. Sean Payton
    6. Mike McCarthy
    7. Mike Tomlin
    8. Mike Shanahan
    9. Jeff Fisher
    10. Andy Reid
    11. Mike Smith
    12. John Fox
    13. Gary Kubiak
    14. Marvin Lewis
    15. Pete Carroll
    16. Rex Ryan
    17. Leslie Frazier
    18. Jason Garrett
    19. Jim Schwartz
    20. Bruce Arians
    21. Joe Philbin
    22. Mike Munchak
    23. Greg Schiano
    24. Chuck Pagano
    25. Ron Rivera
    26. Chip Kelly
    27. Marc Trestman
    28. Doug Marrone
    29. Mike McCoy
    30. Gus Bradley
    31. Rob Chudzinski
    32. Dennis Allen

As they mentioned in the video, lot of 4-12 teams. How did he differentiate one from the other? What makes one 4-12 team different from another 4-12 team?

I'd also like to know what makes Jim Harbaugh a better coach than Pete Carroll, they pretty much did the same thing, but Jim is 14 spots better?

It is what it is, don't mean a whole lot of nothing in the overall scheme of things. But something to talk about I guess.

How in the heck is Jim better than John?

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

How many play off wins does Mike Smith have? Or is that a Kubiak only rule?

9. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I never got past this question. Lost all credibility with me when he put Jim (who hasn't won a SB or ever beaten his brother head-to-head) over John.

Logic capability = Very suspect

then again, what else is there to talk about?
    :)

10. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Meh... Where is Nute Rockne or Vince Lombardi on this list??? :bender:

11. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

That ranking is about right for Kubiak. He shouldn't be in the top ten anyway. But he is much better than a lot of the head coaches out there. Even though I'm not a Kubiak supporter, it's obvious we could be doing MUCH MUCH worse.

12. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

You're looking for THIS List....

Top NFL coaches by the decade.

Spoiler Alert!!
    in the 80s Bill Walsh came in second to Joe Gibbs. And the reasoning for that was pretty good.