Kubiack/Texans May Talk During Bye Week

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TEXANS84, Dec 31, 2005.

1. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_4354592,00.html

2. GP

GP Go Texans!

Nice dig.

Thanks for the info.

Our "Monday morning" we've been wanting all season might just come this Monday.

McNair should fire Capers Monday morning, and then fly to Denver Monday afternoon and tell Kubiak he has the job.

3. Sco-tai

Sco-tai Veteran

Okay...being retardedly optimistic...but wouldn't that be stellar if we got Kubiack, and he hired their O-line coach as our O-coordinator. And to top it off...they let David Carr call the plays!

Can you say...NOT 2 - 14 NEXT YEAR! lol

4. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

All I know is our people better be on the next flight to Denver! :redtowel:

5. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I think Kubiak would be a great coach, but what other prospects are out there? Not too many coordinators have produced year in year out like Kubiak and not gotten an HC position. What about Jerry Grey-Bills DC??

6. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

Kubiak would be a big time hire and is my favorite as of right now. He is young, smart, and a no-nonsense type of guy. Imagine a younger Shanahan with Texas ties and that is Kubiak pretty much.

Jerry Gray
    Tim Lewis
    Mariucci
    Williams
    Al Saunders
    Brad Childress
    Wade Phillips
    Cam Cameron
    Ron Rivera

These are all names you will hear, plus some other guys like the OC from Cinci. It is gonna be an interesting offseason. Right now it is expected that the Lions, Texans, Saints, Chiefs, and a couple of other job openings will be available

7. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

This news almost makes me optimistic!

8. mean mark8

mean mark8 Veteran

I like Kubiak, but I'm also very concerned about our defense. We've lost our last 4 or 5 games because we can't stop anybody. I don't want Wade Phillips as a head coach but if Dan Reeves ends up as GM maybe we would have an inside track on Kubiak as HC and Phillips as DC with the Denver Offensive Line coach as a possible OC. I think I'd like that scenario.

9. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Phillips contract isnt up as DC of San Diego.. we cant get him as DC. We could offer him the HC position because it is a promotion.. but not the DC.

10. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I don't think that Phillips would accept another DC position. Coordinators generally want to move up the food chain after having a lot of success. Phillips would potentially come here as a HC, but not as DC again. And I don't believe that we are looking for a defensive minded coach this offseason.

11. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I havent seen anything that says we arent looking at a Defensive minded coach. I know some people HERE have said they want an offensive minded coach.. but personally id like a former DC. We have a good running game.. could be better if we improved our Oline and got a bit of a passing game going.

That, combined with a good, solid defense.. can win championships.

12. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I believe that I heard that from either Sean Salisbury, Chris Mortensen, or John Clayton.

13. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

Could you offer him DC and Assistant Head Coach, Defense?

14. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I saw the guy on Cold Pizza earlier in the week that always has the "inside scoop" and he was saying the Texans are looking for an offensive minded coach, and I know it's just speculation, rumors, and heresay...

15. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I think that is where I saw it. They were doing a rundown on which coaches are gone and what the team is looking for.

16. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Yeah, he was talking about how Reeves wanted to be the head coach next season but McNair doesn't like the idea and wants to go in a different direction so I am not sure how credible this guy's info is...

17. Give me a defensive head coach any day. Kubiak may be fine, but I think Wade Phillips would be better, especially in structuring our 3-4 defense. If we switch to a 4-3 then go ahead an add another year on to next year to get it right.

18. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I agree that defense win championships, but that doesn't mean you have to have a defensive minded head coach to have a great defense. If you throw out Belichick, most of the coaches that have won the superbowls have been offensive minded coaches. John Gruden, Dick Vermiel, Brian Billeck, Mike shannahan, and Mike holmgrem. I could go on. Granted most of these coaches had great defenses, but just because they were offensive minded didn't prevent them from having a great defense. They were just smart enough to hire quality DCs and then let them do their stuff and not get involved. Even arguably the best defense in history was led by a offensive minded head coach in Mike D. This makes the hiring of our next DC very important. If you think about it the choice in your DC might be even more important than who you choice as head coach.

19. Scooter

Scooter Funky

most fans are looking to get out of our rut, which is primarily offensive. what i've noticed though is that we give our running game WAY too much credit, but we dont give DD near enough. more often than not he's hit behind the LOS by a defender, a guard knocked backwards, or norris running into our own guys with his eyes closed. what i'm looking for in kubiak is brains and a passion to win. he's got the pedigree, he's arguably the smartest guy in football at any level, and has proven his value. what he's already brought is an impeccable offense during his tenure, what he hasnt in his time is a defense (strictly because of position), although he's garnered the respect of his defensive players such as pro-bowler john lynch. i think his intelligence & his natural football intuition will carry over to the defensive side when given the chance. the ONLY questions about kubiak are the staff that he'd carry with him, and his ability to responsibly delagate authority. what i'm sure of, is that he COULD NOT do worse on the defensive side than dom & fangio. the only thing holding our defense together during their tenure was the vets ... sharper, payne, foley, glenn, walker, coleman. we've run out of vets and it's apparent that the coaches are clueless.

with what kubiak's learned from shannahan & his intellect, i'm not too worried about his ability to coach. the area in this scenario that i'm most concerned about is our scouting/gm's ability to provide better players to work with than travis johnson, morlon greenwood, & phillip buchannon. sorry, but even belichick isnt going to go far with these as his options.

what i'd love to see more than anything is an offense heavy coaching staff & draft. along with that i'd love to see a free agency heavy defense. defense is more about brains than braun and i personally dont care if zach thomas is 65 years old and in a walker ... he's going to be in the right spot to make a play regardless of "scheme". an incredible motor like shawne merrimam can be created. peek, babin, & orr could be in that mold with the proper coaching & veteran leadership.

i played soccer & football. during both, my brain shut down entirely. playing is an instinct that our current staff doesnt stimulate (mainly regarding defense). what they'd prefer is a thought process. merriman, thurman, totupu, & johnson are examples of what happens when instincts and teaching dictate movement ... as opposed to our current philosophy of read, decide, act (the play ended 2 seconds before the "act" phase ... coincidently the same time of alexander's TD celebration).

ps. please dont quote me, it's new years so i've got an influenced opinion =)

20. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I agree totally on instinct being key to a successful defense. And that is exactly why Fangio's defense is sucking it up. We need someone to come in and let our guys loose.

As for our running game.. im not saying its top 10.. but it is moving in that direction. We use the same run blocking scheme as Denver.. and you are starting to see that pay dividends. We can line up almost any of our RBs back there and they can have a fairly good game.

If we had a defensive minded coach.... someone who would focus on that defense and turn it into a monster.... well.. imagine the Ravens defense of a few years ago.. with the Denver running game of the last decade or so... that is a championship team. Thats what im thinking anyway.