Kubes...Another year or not?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Drew_Smoke, Nov 7, 2008.

?

Should Kubes Keep His Job After This Year??

Poll closed Nov 14, 2008.
  1. Yes....Keep Him

125 vote(s)
    85.6%
  2. No...Can Him

21 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. Drew_Smoke

Drew_Smoke @Drew_Smoke

I'd like to get a gauge on how we're thinking. I don't really want to start a huge (I am easily bored) debate on the merits either way.

And please don't be the one to post "We could get Bill Cowher" either.

I read someone in the paper say Kubes was learning under fire (along those lines) and that may be the case. He's not gonna get worse. I have been in my field for 20 years and learn new things all of the time. Constantly!

I think Kubes could become a great one if he's given the time. I ain't waitin' another 5 years. I think we're getting closer and are on the brink of respectability.

2. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

Hey, we could get Bill Cowher! :tiphat:

Sorry, man. Couldn't help myself.

3. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

the only opinion that matters is Mr. McNair's, and I don't believe he wants to be the kind of owner who churns through coachs every few years.

he'll give Kubiak the time he needs, and I'm ok with that as well.

like many others here, there has to be some serious looks at the defensive side and see if the problems are coaching or talent. I lean towards a mix of both.

4. False Start

False Start On # 69

That's the solution right there. :heh:

I say give Pubes one more year after this season, if he still can't get this team headed in the right direction and win a game on the road, hit the bricks.

5. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

The Pittsburgh Steelers have had 3 coaches in their history. I'd rather go down that road than get a new coach every six years.

6. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

Kubiak isn't going anywhere this year - McNair won't even entertain the thought. There has been progress - maybe not fast enough - but progress is being made. Kubiak may have to suffer through a "winning season for 2009 or else" speech - but he will still be here. I think K has the potential to be an excellent coach - he just needs time (management) and a few more good players.

7. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I go back and forth on this one. At this point, I'm afraid the bad outweighs the good.

Seems like the problems that we're having this year are the same problems that we've always had since the franchise started up.

8. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

What Kubiak needs to do is show some cohones and Fire Richard Smith!

9. Mr. White

He should have done that after his first season.

10. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Exactly. He's done his job, he made this offense one of the best in the league. When did we ever 20 points consistently with Capers? It's the defense that's the problem.

11. Dean 74

Dean 74 Rookie

hmm.
    sherman goin nowhere fast. is kubes next up for aggieland?

12. Mr. White

If he were the offensive coordinator, he would have done his job. Since he's the head coach, his job is to make both sides of the ball better.

I hold him responsible for not canning Richard Smith 2 years ago when it was obvious he wasn't NFL caliber.

IlliniJen likes this.
  13. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Fire Kubiak? LOL. Sure why not... while we're at it let's go ahead and fire Alex Gibbs because the enterior of our OL is getting manhandled every play.

The truth is, this team is light years better than it was 3 years ago. Wins are the most important thing when it comes to football, as it should be, but this isn't the Oakland Raiders. If you give a coach a crap team, the majority of the time it's going to take some time to build them up especially when you swith offense and defensive schemes requiring new personnel.

Our offense is close to being one of the best in the league. Stats-wise, we're already there but I think we still need some improvement on the OL and another RB before we are REALLY a top 5 offense. Defensively, we need some major help. Not only do we need better players (which they are slowly getting without breaking the bank) but they need time to mature. All our "star" players we have on the Defense have an average age of 23 (Mario, Amobi, Demeco, Diles, Bennett, Dunta). I know we all expect these guys to come in and immediately dominate the game but we have to be realistic here. If we go heavy on Defense this draft and offseason (Nnamdi Asomaghaquahaha from the raiders) we'll still have a young D LOADED with talent and when they develop in another couple years, it will be an incredible D to pair up with an already prolific offense.

Give Kubiak some more time. I'm glad McNair doesn't have some knee jerk reactions like many of the fans do.

14. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

I voted yes but with an asterik that would denote firing Richard Smith instead.

15. GP

GP Go Texans!

I voted "Can him." I had to impose a 24-hour ban upon myself, to cool down, because (as a fan) I am just at a breaking point with our HC. It's proper to be supportive of your leaders, I understand that. But this is year 3...and I only wonder what's going to happen if we load up for year 4 with Schaub and Sage again. Help me to see how it goes better in year 4.

I've seen all I need to see. No need to cross my fingers and hope he figures stuff out. He's making bone-headed decisions with the game clock, challenge flags (when to throw and when to hold), and the handling of our active roster for QB is stupid: Only carry two QBs? We went into the Indy game with Sage and, well...err...umm...Sage because Schaub was too ill and therefore Owen Daniels would have been QB if something had happened to Sage. How is that even remotely a smart coaching strategy?

His road record is awful, too.

He can't inspire his team to beat the beatable teams, and he can't inspire them to beat the teams that are better than us...even if it was a low percentage, let's say every 1 out of three times we beat is a team better than us, he still can't do it. Give me 30% winning percentage on the teams that are better than us and I'm listening. Have we approached that yet?

He signed off on, and I suppose he actually WANTED, Richard Smith for defensive coordinator. That's a major indictment against Kubiak right there. And he continues to stick with Richard Smith after 2 1/2 seasons of the worst defensive strategy I have seen in a long time by an NFL d-coordinator.

But, hey...no need to actually put Kubiak's errors under a microscope here. He's learning on the job! But, what is he learning if he's still doing the same wrong thing(s) week in and week and out?

1. Fire your d-coordinator

2. Carry three QBs on the active roster, Weaver or Travis Johnson can sit as far as I am concerned in order to free up a spot or two (Cochran and Bulman are handling things just fine)

3. Drop the playcalling sheet, Gary, and be a leader of the team.

4. Admit that Schaub and Sage are not getting it done. Move on. Go grab a legitimate youngster in the draft and let him learn from Schaub in Schaub's third year next season. We can't afford to go QB in a trade (again) that involves draft picks--That idea was a dud. The new QB has to be a draft pick, or a free agent picked up for anything other than draft pick compensation.

I'm afraid that hoping Gary Kubiak will make it as a HC here is like hoping Matt Schaub will make it here as a QB: Two guys who were close to sealing the deal, but can't. I don't hate 'em for it. But they've made some cash, and as Gary says "Through adversity comes opportunity..." I hope Gary gets his opportunity sooner rather than later.

I've said since this time last year that Gary is a guy who stopped the bleeding (caused by Capers) and he's put the team in a spot for another HC to come in and propel this team to the next level. It's similar, to me, to what happened when Dungy left TB for Indy: He took an average Colts team from Mora and took it up a notch. I think someone comes along and does that after Kubiak leaves. And maybe kubiak goes somewhere and it clicks for him.

But I just don't get excited about this team anymore. The bloom was off the Gary Kubiak and Matt Shcaub rose, for me, by the midway part of last season.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  16. Ole Miss Texan

Dear Mr. Franchione,

Thanks for all the help recruiting the quality studs you've left me with, this is already such an outstanding football team. How can I even make it better!?

Signed,

Mike Sherman

17. Ole Miss Texan

Year one: 6-10
    Year two: 8-8
    Year three: 3-5 (annualized to a 6-10 record)
    -so regressing in the W/L column one year requires firing? Even though last year we would have been 7-9 if Jacksonville would have decided they wanted to play hard for 5 minutes. You say he can't inspire the team to beat the beatable teams... yet we just went on a 3 game winning streak for the 1st time in franchise history against the beatable teams.
    -This season the team has done a really good job of NOT committing penalties. That's something they worked on A LOT in the offseason.
    - Turnovers is another biggie, so far our QB's have turned the ball over too much. That's really the only (or biggest) thing holding this offense back which is doing so great even with them. What if Schaub corrects this problem, even just a little bit? Year 4 will be amazing.
    - I think Frank Bush is the guy Kubiak really wants for the Defense and I think soon enough he'll get the nod.

You've raised some pretty good points that need to be worked on. I think that's exactly what it is though, a list to improve on and things that can definitely get taken care of.. thus not requiring a firing.. but that's just me.

18. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

It depends on how we finish the season. 5-11 or worse = goodbye. 6-10 or better=one more shot

19. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

They were all good coaches though

New coaches have really turned around teams this year (Miami, Baltimore, Washington, even St. Louis). Payton and Mangini also out performed Kubes in their first years and look to be doing so again.

If we had a shot at Spagnulo from the Giants I don't know how we could pass it up.

20. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I am in the keep Kubiac crowd but if something isn't done about the DC area after this season. I am afraid that it will be Gary's undoing

Vinnie likes this.