Kube and The Running Back Situation...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HeartofHouston, Oct 24, 2006.

1. HeartofHouston

HeartofHouston Veteran

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Wali Lundy and all but do you think that it's possible that Kube will be looking for another runinng back for next year maybe from the draft or maybe out of free angency?

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I think that with DD's return next season still in question and the poor production so far this season in the running game you would have to be looking to upgrade the position . Lundy has had one good game so far in the regular season and had flashes in the pre-season ..... If Lundy or Gado turn it on for the duration of this season then maybe not . But at this point I say the answer to your question is an easy one ..... Yes .:twocents:

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Denver always has a bunch of running backs. I expect the same here in Houston, regardless of DDs health.

Even if we had drafted Reggie Bush, Vernand Morency would probably have been traded, RonDayne still would have been picked up, and we'd still look to draft a running back in the '07 draft.

"the system" can only do so much. an equal part of it's success, is to throw a bunch of guys at it, and see who produces.

4. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

We'll keep on drafting to support the system, but it won't be a first-rounder. We didn't take Reggie Bush last year, and we won't take Running Back X next year.

5. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

I don't understand how people can sit here and say that Kubiak wouldn't use teh first round pick on a running back, when we tried to trade back into the first round to grba running back in last year's draft.

6. grnydrowave

grnydrowave Rookie

Only one guy is saying that. And I don't understand what you mean about "trying to trade back into the first round to grab an RB". Clarify please?

7. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

The story on draft day was that the Texans tried pretty hard to trade back into the first to grab D. Williams or possibly Moroney.

8. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

It has been stated before that The Texans were trying to use the 2nd round pick to trade back into the first round with Buffalo so we could get Deangelo Williams from Memphis.

9. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

well right now, tatum bell is Denver's only reall rb, and he's getting 20+ carries a game for the past few weeks. it is my personal feeling that the texans need a primary, regular back that gets those 20+ carries. jmo.

10. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Well, considering who they got in the 2nd round, I'm glad they were unsuccessful.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I agree with that.... but they also have MikeBell, and someone else, just in case Tatum couldn't get it done.

I believe Denver has always wanted 1 guy, but it looked like they were going RBC, because they tried so many people out. They want one back to get the majority of the carries, and define the run game, then a back to spell him.

But they'll continue to try different RBs at that situation.... They might realize they are having a hard time getting a Franchise WR if Jevon doesn't work out, and trade Tatum for B.Berium or RoyWilliams or something.

I'm not insinuating that they are even thinking about doing anything like that, but saying they might use Tatum as Capitol the way they used ClintonPortis.

12. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Javon Walker looks like he is gonna work out just fine for the Broncos

13. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Very early in the year they threw out facts about Bell. The past two years his numbers have dropped off considerably as the year goes on (he also had a huge dropoff when he got 11+ carries). Lets see if he wears down this year too.

14. HeartofHouston

HeartofHouston Veteran

I would love to pick have Marshawn Lynch or Maybe Kenny Irons. I'm sure if it will happen tho.. wit Peterson out for the season and coming back next year most likely. And wit the injury to Michael Bush both of these supposedly being the first 2 backs taken.. it's going to push the RB class up higher in the draft.. Instead of Peterson then Bush then Lynch then Irons it will make it Lynch then Irons then so on.

15. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Do you mean you think Peterson is going back to OU next year?

As long as he heals correctly I cant see a collarbone injury delaying his draft decision

16. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

With all of the good RB's in the draft next year, I think there is a good chance that one will fall to the second round. But I think that if we have the chance to get Marshawn Lynch we should take him. He is a complete back who would do very well in our system.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Like I said, I'm not trying to insinuate anything, just making up an example.....

Instead of asking ourselves if this guy or that guy would be perfect for our system, we need to look at the backs Denver/Kubiak has drafted to work in their system.

ClintonPortis & Tatum Bell are two backs Denver/Kubiak felt good enough to draft in the second round..... D'AngeloWilliams/LawrenceMoroney one of them had Kubiak trying to move up in the draft to pick, at the expense of a player like DemecoRyans.

OlandisGary, Mike Anderson, & Terrell Davis are also guys Denver/Kubiak felt good enough about to aquire in the draft(I think they drafted those guys)

What was it about those guys that Denver liked?? and who in the upcoming draft shares most of those traights.

I haven't seen much of Marshawn Lynch, & while I do like his style, I don't think he is in the same mold as the guys Denver/Kubiak usually go after.

18. real

real Guest

Originally I wanted one of the top tier backs....but I changed my mind...

I think we'd get more value by picking an OL or defensive player...

Right now Im hoping we go OL or DB in the first...preferably Safety

19. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Free safety! :redtowel:

20. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno, but this is all but common knowledge and had we have somehow gotten Moroney, we would have gotten a more complete running back than
    Reggie Boy, who simply can't run inside. And isn't 2007 a strong Draft for running backs ? Once again, very good back(s) may be on the Board in late
    first or the second round ?
    But lets face it, we will probably be picking top 10 in 2007 (if not top 5 - I liked the win against the Jags, but I'm not ready to say we turned the year
    around), and I'm doubful Kubiak uses that high a pick on a back.

HJam72 likes this.