Kubaik Yrs

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by steelbtexan, Jun 11, 2014.

1. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Started off with a 2-14 team, ended up with a 2-14 team. A few good times and got fired with a little more talent than he started with. Tell me how the 8 yrs of Kubiak wasn't a failure and what makes you think the BOB yrs under McNair will be better?

I've moved on from the Kubiak yrs despite backstabbing Smith being allowed to leetch off of McNair. (Cal in particular.)

2. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

Disagree we had a lot more talent on this team than he started with.

3. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

:rolleyes: It doesn't look like that to me.

Instead of "moving on", you want to keep dwelling on the past in order to keep taking shots at "BOB". You're not fooling anyone.

thunderkyss and dc_txtech like this.
  4. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Not going to get over Smith still being here or even acknowledge this draft huh?

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

The team Kubiak took over was a failed expansion team.

The only thing worse than coaching an expansion team, imo, is coaching a failed expansion team. If you've ever been a coach, you should know how hard it is to sell your team on the idea that they can win. After four years of losing, he had his work cut out for him & I doubt he had more than 8 people in the whole organization who believed the Texans could win. & that's counting Kubiak as one of the 8.

In just two years, he stopped the losing (if only for a little while) & by year four, he had a winning team that had a shot at a play off berth until the late games on the final day of the regular season.

Maybe not enough for the "Super Bowl or bust" guys, or the people who think every team should have a Super Bowl appearance in any 12 year period, but that's a lot.

Further more, in only six years, that failed expansion team won the division. In his seventh year, he had them thinking they could win the Super Bowl. In his eight year, he had "everybody" (not just the people in the organization) thinking the failed expansion team he took over could win the Super Bowl.

He shat the bed in his 8th season, but this team is primed to become the next 49ers, Seahawks, or Ravens.

6. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

Seahawks been around since 76 and they won their 1st superbowl. jaguars and panthers came in the same yr,94 I believe and neither have won a bowl either. The great steelers organization went 30 some yrs before they were worth a damn.

7. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 IDBLDogDareU

Kubîak a tenure was average overall. I do think Rick smith had a lot to do with that and he should have been fired along with Gary. I hope that obrien can shape this team into a winner but I worry that no other belichek disciple has had much success in the nfl. I like Kubiak and as a Houstonian I wish he'd succeeded here but that didn't happen and I've moved on.

8. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

they wont be lets get rdy for 4 more years a nothingness cept local memories LOL

9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Agreed

Get well soon Ques

10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Not smart enough to fool anybody.

As you once told me just because things didn't work out the way you wanted, doesn't mean you have to be so bitter.

I actually think McNair has finally made a GREAT hire if Smith doesn't undermine O'Brien.

Just because you were wrong about the Smithiak era doesn't mean that you have to be so bitter. It's not healthy to be that way.

Get well soon Ques

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think I know what you're talking about, but to be sure, can you give us an example of when Smith undermined Kubiak?

12. Troy Chapman

Troy Chapman All Pro

Same question I have.

13. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

I'm beginning to think that Bob is the problem here. May be the nicest owner in the NFL but his business plan, organization and many decisions are flawed.

14. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Only if you're looking at it from a Win/Loss perspective and not a revenue one. :kitten:

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The implied dichotomy leaves out a significant factor in football - luck.

16. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

31 teams fail every season. The degrees of failure is subjective, but there is only one team every season that can truly consider itself successful.

I'm not a Kubiak apologists, but c'mon, it's not like we are long suffering Saints fans that had to endure 20 years before seeing a winning record.

And while back-to-back division "championships" is nothing to hang your hat on, I'll still take it over the alternative of never going to the playoffs.

I'm curious about the point of this thread? Do we really need yet another place to gripe and moan about the past? To paraphrase Pantera:

Yesterday don't mean ****
    What's over is over and nothing between
    Yesterday don't mean ****
    Because tomorrow's the day you have to face

There's no rewinding time
    Reliving old reviews is a useless tool of confusion
    Don't hold your breath for the turn-around
    Come into the world of endless odds...

17. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

The OP knows good and well what the point of this thread is. He's just too much of a chicken sh!t to actually say it.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Kubiak's years had some success...quite a bit of failure.

But failure is a part of life. Success wouldn't feel as good if there was no failure. Hopefully, the organization has learned from it's past mistakes.

What will make BOB different? Well, we know his style will be different. We know his approach will be different. But impossible to say that it will lead to better results at the end of his tenure.

19. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

20. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I agree, especially with the bolded. 12 years of football, IIR the number correctly, is not enough to gripe about not having a Superbowl win. Kubiak did a good job of taking us from bad to good and, looking at our short time in the NFL and what he took over, I can't crucify the guy for not winning it all. The way he lost the team last year, and probably not trying to find Schaub's eventual replacement at some point in one of those offseasons, got him rightfully fired, but I don't really blame him for anything major except last year's collapse and our having to move on from him.

Even that is subjective. The one sure thing about being a head coach in the NFL is that your job is always in jeopardy.

Double Barrel likes this.