Kollar evaluates D-line personnel

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Maddict5, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

another nice piece by Paul Kuharsky. small bit fluffy but some interesting tidbits about the NT competition and the likelihood (thank god) that smith will move inside on passing downs (first sign my hope of drafting maybin or brown @ 15, sidbury @ 46 might happen if they are there)... too bad the chron never thought we might be interested in stuff like this

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-9-80/Some-D-line-insight-from-Texans-new-assistant.html

rollinstone18, TexanAddict and keyser like this.
  2. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Good find. I'm dying to see how the DL looks in TC with a new philosophy. I really think Bulman is gonna step up. That guy has a crazy motor that goes 200% every play. I'm also anxious to see hoe TJ and Okam react to Kollar's coaching style.

3. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Nice find. Pretty interesting I think Kollar's opinions on guys kind of reflect general board sentiments. Mario is the man, Okoye is looking to improve and mature, Smith you quoted good pass rusher, Bulman the effort guy, Deljuan the "big stop guy" interesting...even more interesting referred to TJ as the nose tackle and a run first guy. Stanley McClover basically he said he's never heard of the guy.

I think this DL will have to take the step forward we've been hoping and drafting for to get into the playoffs.

4. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

This is really such a "rubber meets the road" kind of season for a lot of the thinking we fans have done for the last three or four years. Its a season where we really will learn (I think) exactly how much of a problem the coaching and scheme were. We're going to know fairly quickly I think if we have some players in there that we didn't know we had or couldn't see because of the stupid crap they were being asked to do.

5. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

I like our D-Line, I think there solid and with a bit of coaching we should be a force to reckon with. I'd like to see more defensive stunts as well and I want to see how Antonio Smith would do as a DT on some plays.

Can Someone Say :d:!?!?!

6. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

maybe we can have a defense where DL aren't asked to drop in coverage.

is that asking too much, herv?

all i know is this is the easiest schedule we have ever seen and its time for the team to take the next step. this is easily the most optimistic i have felt going into a season. i can't wait to see us kick the holy crap out of those damn new yorkers. lets end their season before it even begins.

7. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I sure hope not.

8. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

Holy smokes! This is killer insite into the early stages of Kollar's view from watching some tape and stuff. I agree that it mirrors what alot of us are seeing already. We don't have the insight into what Kollar wants to do exactly so to get to see what his first impressions are is critical. I am suprised that we didn't hear more about Del Juan. I thought he would have saw something in him that would suggest potential but he seemed to throw him in there as an afterthought and stuff. Then again, when I re-watched the games I didn't really see much from him either. I wish he would have demanded that they get Cochran back.

The most exciting to me was the thinking that Smith will slide inside on passing downs! It seems to be the most exciting news for our defense so far. He will surely help Okoye to be 1 on 1 with his guy and use his athleticism more and stuff.

It does seem to suggest that we may be looking for a situational pass rusher. And stuff.

9. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

so if Smith kicks inside, does Mario flip from RDE to LDE? then they bring in that situational pass rusher from the 1st/2nd rd? Also which tackle stays in & which one goes out? seems to me the Texans are thick @ tackle & thin on the edge unless its addressed via the draft :pirate:

10. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

"We've got quite a few on the inside especially at the nose we should end up having some good competition with Johnson, Cody, Okam and Robinson," he said.
    "He's definitely a good inside rusher, I mean he's slippery inside, he uses his hands well," Kollar said. "He ended up playing a lot inside last year on first and second down. He just does a good job, he plays with great leverage, he was able to slip through gaps. He can give you some rush from the inside, that's for sure."
    Those comments by the new DLine coach raise far more questions for me than they answer ?
    First, when you consider that of Johnson, Cody, Okam and Robinson, there's only one real potential NT there while the other 3 guys are basically 1-gappers, gotta wonder what Kollars idea of a NT is ?
    Then he talks of using FA Smith even more inside it clearly leaves the question why did they even get Smith when he was supposed to be the guy to play the other end of the D-line from Mario ? If you listen to Kollar, they still haven't found that guy ?

11. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

Hopefully a more aggressive d-line in camp will help lead to a more solid o-line. I wonder how much our o-line's growth was stunted going against the read & react system everyday.

12. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

The zone blitz, when run properly, is one of the most effective defensive plays in terms of creating turnovers. It would be a huge mistake to drop zone blitzing from the defense. My suggestion is to simply do it better. It is a play that demands disguise and LBs that understand blitzing. Clearly that isn't something Smith's defense excelled at.

13. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

The tone of the article in regards to his impression of TJohnson, Okam, and Cody, along with his enthusiasm about moving A. Smith inside on passing downs certainly makes it more likely that we take a DE (speed rushing type) on the first day. I was left wondering if he saw Bulman as a guy that could be effective droping in at DT on passing downs.

14. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Wow, PK sure is a good sports writer for ESPN. Im not used to seeing this indepth information regarding the Texans on national news outlets.

Sure sounds like Kollar has high praise for a guy like TJ, and seems to think his lack of production is mroe a result of his scheme.

He sounds pretty disappointed with Okoye, basically comparing him to a rookie. again

15. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Did someone hack your account and post this message? Very optimistic for you. I agree, this is put up or see ya for Kubiak and Co. Starting with the draft. If I see a DE in coverage again, I may riot. Nading "covering" McFadden was fun and all, but its time to attack.

There is a difference between a few strategic zone blitz's and dropping Weaver 3 or more times a game when no LB's even blitz.

16. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

We are good at DT. Maybe we take one late, perhaps in the sixth or seventh round. Adding a solid DE would be nice, but with the addition of Smith, it is unlikely to be on the first day.

17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Other than Robert Ayers, I don't see another DE worth taking as a pass rusher. Unless we look at one of the tweeners.

Believe it or not, Ayers has climbed so high up the boards Mayock now has him listed as his #3 top rated player.

We might see him go as early as Buffalo

I never really cared when they dropped Weaver in a zone coverage because he was nonexistent in the pass rush anyways. It was the times I saw MW drop that completely blew my mind.

Dick Smith: "Hey Mario, we are going to trick the QB this time. Since you are one of the best pass rushers in the league they'll never expect you to drop in coverage"

MW: "Ummkay Coach? Who's going to put presser on the QB?"

Dick Smith: "It doesn't matter. The QB will be laughing so hard at how stupid I am that he'll be unable to throw an accurate pass"

MW: "Gee, good idea Coach. *speaking under his breath* "What a dumbass! How the f--k hs that guy lasted this long as a DC?!?!

:gun:

18. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

New DC Bush obviously was the primary decision maker in the pickup of FA
    Smith, and the DC clearly said Smiths primary role was to be the "other" starting DE from you-know-who. Nothing vague about that, its really very explicit. Now we got new DLine coach (and assistant HC) Kollar saying Smith
    flashed playing inside on first and second downs. And we already know Smith will be sliding to the inside on thirds downs. More and more, Smiths primary role sounds like to be less and less of the "other" DE ?
    Are Bush and Kollar in agreement here ? I dunno but I'm puttin DE/edge-rusher back in the mix as a very high priority on the Texans Draft Board. How high, I dunno but I'd guess way up there towards the top ?

19. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Sadly, our rush is so bad Mario dropped and still got the sack vs. Gerrard.

20. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

So after the money we spent on A. smith we're going to turn him into a DT/De Tweener? Wonderful.....Freaking wonderful.

Honestly if we spend another first rounder on the DL and we don't see elite production.I'm going to be sick. Four first round draft picks on the line(potentially) and the only one producing is #1 pick Mario Williams.