Knapp hired as Texans' QB Coach

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by brakos82, Jan 26, 2010.

1. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

Chronic

Greg Knapp, who worked with quarterback Matt Schaub for three years in Atlanta, has been hired as the Texans' quarterbacks coach. Knapp, 46, was the Falcons' offensive coordinator during Schaub's first three seasons (2004-06) before he was traded to the Texans. Knapp, who has no connections to Denver and has never worked with Texans coach Gary Kubiak, was Seattle's offensive coordinator last year.

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I can hear the jokes now if Schaub has a bad game ....
    Schaub took a knapp during the game
    or Schaub caught knapping for the 2nd half of the game

:kitten:

on a serious note, I am not familiar with Knapp at all

3. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I like that Kubiak hired a guy for Matt and not for himself. Seattle's offense last year was disturbingly pathetic so I hope to God this guy doesn't have much creative input but its good that Schaub will have a familiar person with him to review pictures of the opponents' defense during games.

Clearly they were trying to get someone who Schaub's comfortable with.

4. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

I like it. Thats it for coaches now pretty much correct?

5. H.C.4100-Bloc

H.C.4100-Bloc Rookie

About time we hire a coach without a Denver connection

6. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

I wondered how long it would take for someone to say that. How original.

DeMarCushPoll likes this.
  7. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Might be a good thing, as it kind of a big demotion going from OC to QB coach, don't know anything about him but certainly sounds like him getting back to his strong suit a la Dom Capers going back to DC.

8. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

Good to know that we hired QB coach who knows Matt.

Now, we can focus on FA and Draft

Go Texans!!!

9. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I love naps. This Knapp guy should be decent.

10. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I like this hire. Even though Lil Shanny was hailed as a boy genius I was never comfortable with him coaching QBs. I know Kubiak is still going to take a personal interest in Schaub's development but its nice that we've got an experienced coach to tutor our QBs rather than a guy juggling both the OC/QB coach titles.

Maybe I am still turned off by our redzone offense and the WTF Chris Brown pass among other things but I think we've upgraded with Dennison/Knapp over Lil Shanny. That's not a knock on Shanny, I just don't think he was ready to be both an OC/QB coach at this stage of his coaching career and it put an unnecessary pressure on our HC to micromanage the offense rather than concentrate on the big picture.

LonerATO likes this.
  11. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

Suprising, but think it's a good signing. No if we can just get to a happy place where Kubiak will let Matt change the play at the line.

12. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

The Texans Hiarchy Building a Champion

13. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Found this interesting piece written right after his Seattle hire:

Knapp joins the Seahawks after spending two years in the same capacity with the Oakland Raiders. He broke in to the NFL with the San Francisco 49ers in 1995, serving three years as offensive quality control coach (1995-97) and three years as quarterbacks coach before being promoted to offensive coordinator from 2001-03. In 2004, he joined head coach Jim Mora in Atlanta where he also served three years as offensive coordinator.

During his 14 years on the offensive side of the ball in the NFL, 10 of the 14 quarterbacks have taken part in the Pro Bowl (Steve Young from 1995-98, Jeff Garcia from 2000-03 and Michael Vick from 2005-06). In his eight years as offensive coordinator, Knapp’s rushing attack has placed in the NFL top-10 all eight years, including five top-five finishes and led the NFL in rushing three consecutive seasons, all during Mora’s tenure in Atlanta (2004-06).

Prior to the NFL, Knapp spent nine years on the staff at Sacramento State, where he ranks as one of the school’s all-time leaders with more than 3,800 passing yards and 32 touchdowns. He served as running backs coach (1986-89), receivers coach (1989-90) and offensive coordinator/assistant head coach (1991-94). He went to training camps with Kansas City (1986), L.A. Raiders (1987-90) and San Francisco (1992-94).

LINK

Wolf likes this.
  14. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

The highlight of his career (for the purposes we're concerned with anyway) is probably the 5 years he spent as QB coach and then OC for Jeff Garcia in San Fran - the last three of which ended in Pro-Bowl appearances by Garcia.

The lowlight is two years coordinating the Raiders offense, overseeing such notable throwers as Jamarcus Russell, Daunte Culpepper, and Josh McCown.

He also followed Mora Jr. from San Fran to Atlanta, and oversaw the last three years of the Vick era in Hotlanta.

Spotty to be sure, but most of that's as an OC. Given the fact that the only two QB's who actually started for him while he was a QB coach were Garcia and Steve Young, we should probably give him a chance. Still, we'll start him out on double-secret probation, warm up the "Fire Knapp" threads to be unleashed after the first pre-season game (if not before), and see how he does.

15. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Knapp will never be given enough power/control to be responsible for any failures of Schaub or the offense... atleast I'm assuming that based on the fact that he's never worked with Kubiak and appears to be, if anything, Schaub's old "blankie." He's a familiar face for Schaub and thats all we should care about.

16. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

Exactly 5 posts. I'm surprised it took that long.

17. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Interesting connections with Kubiak.

Being with the 49ers even at a different time that Kubiak means that he is very familiar with what they did there, which is the basis of what Kubiak does now.

Also, Knapp was with Atlanta when Alex Gibbs was at Atlanta.

And he has the relationship with Schaub.

Love these hires.

Dennison and Knapp aren't riding in their first rodeo. And they are very familiar with the bull they drew.:logo:

18. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Kubiak will still have a lot of say in Schaub's development. However, I am more confident in Knapp's ability to improve Schaub's play as his exclusive QB coach than I was with Lil Shanny as his part time QB coach/ part time OC.

19. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

Not true!!!!

I did some research and found that twice he has stopped in Denver for connecting airline flights!!!!

He also once attended a Nuggets game.

20. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

I've been tough on Kubes, but I have to give him some credit here. I thought Dennison was a good hire, and I think this one is even better. Good job.