Kirwan sepculates on Schaub...wonders if Texans are interested

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GP, Feb 26, 2007.

1. GP

GP Go Texans!

From a Kirwan article on nfl.com...

"1. A team in the top 14 spots in the draft could trade down close to the 15th spot, pick up an extra pick or two and then trade for Schaub and get the other players they need with the extra picks. Keep in mind, Schaub would have to negotiate a long-term deal with a new club. I'm not sure the Falcons will ever trade Schaub, but if a team calls with a pick close to No. 15, they might sit up and listen. I wonder if teams like Minnesota, Houston or Miami would consider this idea?"

link: http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/10023456

Sounds like a good deal to me. Heck, how many of us would trade to pick No. 10 and do this deal?

Makes me wonder if we (A) Passed on the Snake and removed ourselves from the bidding, (B)"We're Happy With Carr", and (C) Oh, by the way: We're working out a deal for Schaub that nets us a QB and an extra pick.

We opted out of the Plummer bidding very quickly, IMO.

Is there something else "in the mix?"

Hmmmmm...........

Texans Horror likes this.
  2. trutxn

trutxn Veteran

He costs too much...

3. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

The Texans already have a QB that has been a back up. I would rather go with Sage than waste draft picks on a back up QB.

4. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

I'd be ok with it. In theory we'd get Schaub in the first, maybe 2 2's and 2 3's. It's time to face the fact that we are not going to get Peterson with out trading up, and I like the idea of Schaub over trading up to get AP. Four picks the rest of day one would but us in a position to get line help, one both sides of the ball, and a good DB with our 1st round 2 pick.

Draft could look like so:
    1. Schaub
    2a. Griffen/Merriweather or Kaliel if he falls
    2b. Best O-line or DB if we got Kaliel
    3a. Ryan Harris
    4b. Deshawn Wynn from Florida

Texans Horror likes this.
  5. real

real Guest

You mean Deshawn Wynn ?

6. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

That's the one

7. SamuraiSword

SamuraiSword Veteran

You are right this deal is a way better deal than the one Denver was going to give us. I say why not! If people stop complaining about Qb's who are backups will always be a backup please....... Romo was a backup and look he how he did until that mess up on that brand new spanking football that was thrown too him...... :woot:

8. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Schaub is the most intriguing alternate out there for Carr in my book. The only veteran I'd consider.

Not sure I'd want to pay the piper for him though, not with our other needs.

9. False Start

False Start On # 69

Too much money . He seems like he can be good , but hasn't proven anything yet .

10. GP

GP Go Texans!

Schaub was the only guy I wanted if DC was on his way out.

He's a Romo waiting to happen.

He's played his cards right. Go and ask the Falcons fans what they think about him. I BET they say they prefer Schaub over Vick, but Vick is who the FO has banked on...I'll bet Falcons fans will say it's a mistake to let Schaub go.

I think it's the best deal, IMO.

11. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

what, a good half season? dude didnt exactly have the best second half. lets wait until this year before we go VY on him.

12. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

But what exactly has Schaub done to warrant giving so much up for him? The backup QB is always the favorite until he actually shows why he was the backup in the first place. The Texans have too many needs to trade multiple draft picks on a guy who has been a career backup.

13. bad

bad Veteran

Man ain't it the truth.

Still, I think one of the reasons the Texans are staying with Carr (if they are) is the lack of alternatives. Schaub may not turn out to be another Warner or Bulger (backups who showed they deserved to start) but he's about the best we can hope to get outside of the draft, and I'm not sold on any of the college QBs outside of Russell and that's mostly because I don't want any other team to have him. I want Calvin Johnson too, for the same reason.

You also have to wonder if Schaub would even want to come here. The beatings Carr has taken here are stuff of legend. The one thing even Carr haters will admit is that the man can take a hit. Who in his right mind would want to inherit that legacy? Give that man The Chuck Wepner Award. Just throw it at his head instead of handing it to him. He can take it.

The fact that Carr isn't openly asking to be traded is amazing in itself. Heck, he could retire, he's made enough money.

Last year was the year to act. No disrespect intended towards Mario Williams but most of us can envision at least three better scenarios: Ditch Carr and draft Vince Young. Or Keep Carr and draft Reggie Bush. Or trade down because we are more than one superstar away from being a contending team. We did ourselves well in last year's draft but I still think we erred with our first pick.

Whether Carr stays or goes it is imperative that we address our offensive line and offense in general in this year's draft. Our next signal caller may not be as durable as Carr and then everyone will get to see Sage Rosenfels show why he was a backup in the first place.

-----------------------

[​IMG]

14. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

Just a small point here ( yes, I know it has been said 10,000 times before ):

Durability is not a benefit when you are throwing strings of games together with less than 200 yards of passing and losing. Steve DeBerg and Tony Banks could do that.

Being durable is only a desirable trait in really good QBs. So that you get more strings of games with 200 yards or more in passing and wins.

15. bad

bad Veteran

I stand corrected.:thud:

16. Navy_Chris

Navy_Chris All Pro

you think so? the only reason Schaub isn't a starter somewhere yet is because Arthur Blank spends too much time being a fan of Michael Vick, rather than being an owner of the Falcons with the TEAM's best interests at heart. I think Schaub is an awesome QB with tons of potential.

Might I suggest a number change if he comes to Houston, though?

17. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

The Texans can not afford to trade away multiple picks for a QB. They need every pick they have and then some to fill the plethora of holes on their team.

18. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Schaub really knows the West Coast Offense since he has played in it since college, so there would not be as big of a learning curve for him.

19. GP

GP Go Texans!

Yep.

I was going to say that, but I forgot to say it.

I dunno, it smells fishy that there was this big unveiling (by Rick Smith) of Carr having suitors for his services...and that Plummer was the guy all the analysts were saying was the QB for the Texans...and then all of a sudden it's no longer a topic.

And then the Kirwan article about Schaub happens. IIRC, the Falcons were not overly committed to the idea of letting Schaub go (until now). I THINK that they were going to hold onto him or even franchise him, but that Schaub was reported to having interests in being a starter somewhere.

It looks to me as though Plummer WAS the guy we were after, but now that Schaub has become available...the Texans let the Plummer ship sail so that we could go after Schaub.

And as far as the "We don't need a backup QB to be our starter" argument goes, almost every person here has stated that they had wished Carr had been sat on the bench for a few years so that he could have learned the game, not taken all those sacks, blah-blah-blah.

Well, here's a guy who's done just that.

But it's still not enough.

Picky, picky, picky...........(wags index finger in your direction)

20. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Explain to me why a career 52% passer who can't outrun his shadow is a good fit for the Texans. I understand the Schaub hysteria in Atlanta, the backup QB is always the most overrated player on the team. I don't get why he's so popular among NFL fans. Schaub has done just a little more than squat in his 3 years.